00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 224239 times)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act III: Sol's Reign
« Reply #4170 on: June 27, 2020, 09:25:07 am »

((During these parts of the game, where we have the opportunity to ask questions, there's no need to +1 posts))

((Remember, you don't have to +1. I will take any questions. You can even have multiple questions!))

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: June 28, 2020, 07:49:40 pm »

((Uff, lost track of this a couple days. Internet died.))

That question... she's asking you, Φοίβη. Not us. Offer our sympathies, if you like-- but answer with your own words.
...you could cut off our sensory feed awhile, for that matter. Our calculations and our judgements are of little use to you at this time.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: June 28, 2020, 11:28:41 pm »

...Okay.

[-10- / -10-]
Cephie is laying against you again, scrolling through her tablet with a slight redness to her eyes that was not there before. A ghost of a smile twitches across her lips from time to time. You squeeze her shoulder and she turns her attention back to you. Around an hour of the five-hour flight has passed, by your internal chronometer, and you feel its a good time to ask the questions queueing within your mind. She swipes across her datapad, shutting down the screen as you begin asking them.

"[Can I send out a small bit of Dust or Essence, away from my body, to perform a task?]"

"[Yes and no. Essence evaporates. It's unstable. A constant mote of change constrained by our bodies.]" She puts a hand near your face, her glove drawing back to reveal a thin patchwork of scars. "[Blood works well until it dries.]" Slowly, the armor draws back more, as does her flesh, revealing square notches of flesh missing from places on her arm. "[Flesh can hold it longer. The best bet is to keep your flesh alive somehow. A nutrient vial with an oxygenator, or something similar. Our flesh, if properly fed and maintained lasts a long time away from our bodies. You can route through it too, to extend the range of your willpower, if you can remember the nanite as a reference point.]" She is, of course, referring to the numerical codes of each cell, each part of your body. Her bared finger drifts down the front of your armor

You raise a brow.

"[Right. Sorry.]"

"[Is it possible for me to change my appearance, like you?]"

"[Not to the same level of control, and it will revert to your natural state pretty quickly. Try-- focus on the cells in your hair, each one. Consider how the light reflects off of the chemicals that make it up.]" She pulls up a small diagram, a quick reference, "[I used this before I memorized it.]"

You focus, shutting your eyes after a glance, trying not to pay attention to the young woman laying on you so closely.

[16][19][18][7][8[12][80]
Cephie giggles end up breaking your concentration. You were trying for a dull brown, the complex expression of melanin and keratin. Instead--Instead-- your head pounds, and you pitch forward. No.

Cephie starts up, her hands finding your shoulders to provide comfort. Her awkward giggles turning into a voice of concern. "Pheobe. Pheobe-- [what's the matter-- are you okay?]"

Nausea and pain pass and you dare to open your eyes. A strand of your long hair is draped over your shoulder -- dark, neon blue speckled with red, gold, and black. "I'm...I'm fine."

"[Was that the color...you were going for?]"

You shake your head.

[4 vs 20]
"[Tell your Line to fuck itself six ways to the End of the Universe. It's your body -- you can do what you want with it.]" Cephie is angry, her voice rising as her grip tightens on your shoulder. Low Empyrean is the best language for curses. Alone, there are thirty different words for 'damn'. Fifty for 'fuck'. You shake your head again, shutting your eyes as they throb.

Cephie drops it, as you settle back in your chair, breathing hard. With a bit of cloth from your suit, you rub at the blood that trickles from your eyes. "[How...how does Magnus deal with Plague planets?]"

She settles back into a comfortable position before answering, taking her time. "[There won't be a Plague when he finishes. But there might not even be a Biosphere. Your people will survive. I hope. But please, understand...Magnus isn't here for the plague. He's not here for this backwater rim world. He's here for you. To fight you. The Endless Nobility...they're inhuman. They don't care about one planet, or two, or even a dozen. What's one ant colony to the boot that treads upon it?]"

The rest of the ride passes uneventfully and quietly. You amuse yourself by reading over Cephie's shoulder, among...other things within reason, much to her amusement. Nicole yawns herself awake overdramatically as the craft touches down and the ramp opens on to a field of green grass at night. Lights on the rear of the craft flicker on, letting you see further into the darkness. You realize that this is a patch of greenery in a field of 'salts'. Cephie, without a word, walks to the salt flat as you and the Null set up the tents, the water purifier, and a cooking pot. The Null returns with [beast of burden] chips, lighting them ablaze to boil water and make the nutrient paste for the lot of you.

You end up walking to where Cephie stands, finding her kneeling. She lets grains of salt drift out of her fingers, even going so far as to pick one up and put it in her mouth.

"[What's got you so interested, out here?]"

"[Oh, I didn't want to help.]" Cephie admits, cheerfully, before her attention turns back to the salt. "[Do you know what this is? I had suspicions...]"

"[Salt?]"

"[These are salts of phosphorous.]"

"[Uh...okay.]"

"[I don't think you understand,] Pheobe." Cephie turns her attention to you, a gleam in her eye, "[Phosphorous limits growth. It is -the- limiter of growth for humanity everywhere. Crops need it. People need it. Agworlds need it...to have it just lying around like this is amazing. If it got diluted down, this planet could be one of the most fertile planets in this area. An underdeveloped world like this could become a bread-basket. Then an industrial complex, then a center of commerce and industry in short order if you exploited the hells out of this.]"

"[...uh...yeah. I guess that's something to think about.]"

Cephie sighs, rising to her feet and approaching you. With a playful smile, she rubs the salt from her hand unto the front of your uniform before passing you by. "[You're really cute, y'know?]"

You don't think that was a compliment.

The next morning, you set out to the north as the hovercraft lifts off, towards a crater rim in the distance. The air is cold, but you still sweat with the exertion. By the end of the forced march, you're carrying Nicole on your shoulders, along with half of the packs. Cephie carries the exhausted Null and the other half of the gear. The climb is even worse. You and Cephie have to take a break in the middle of it, as the two of you drag yourself over the rough terrain.

"[Ever the dutiful grandchild, you are, Pheonix.]" Cephie quips, during the break between chugs of water, "[You know what I hate about your type of Line -- you don't get thirsty. You can never understand how much water I need to survive -- and how annoying it is to drink this bland, perfectly purified [horse]-piss.]"

"I don't know what tongue you're speaking, but I understanding whining when I hear it. How about you settle down there, you oily punk." Nicole snaps.

Cephie only response is a dark glare. "I could kill you with a thought, y'know."

"Yes, but how would that affect the chance of my grandchild continuing to deal with your scrawny self?"

Cephie doesn't respond.

You crest the crater lip and it's a night and day difference. In the massive crater is a lake of ice-covered green water, fed by trickling springs that cascade down the edges of the rim. Between you and the lake is a gentle slope of hardy conifers, a mottled patchwork of greens and gold that hold together the sandy, moist soil. Lining the banks are broken stalks of golden grain, withered by the cold weather, but flourishing in the marshy soil. You pause, staring out over the lake, taken in by its beauty.

But in the center of the lake, a massive, spindly fin of weathered black metal juts from the water. A single light blinks across the ice cap which turns to slush and water around the metal. For nearly a hundred years, you've plied the Void betwixt worlds. It would be impossible for you not to recognize what that is --

"Is...is that a Void Ship comms array?" Cephie blurts out.

"Is that what that is? That'd explain the huge structure."

You setting up camp in a dry patch is a blur. Cephie even helps this time -- and the work is completed in less than an hour. Nicole guides you to a circle of brickwork that lies in the water, at the end of an overgrown path. A bronze bowl sits in the center, filled with ash, and all around it are stalks of grain. Trinkets of ceramic-- and even the remains of a broken las-gun. Rotten flowers are strung between poles on cords of steel, and fine oil-burning lanterns hang in the dead center.

"Outlanders view this place as holy. Me and my lads investigated it about fifty years ago when I was young enough to survive the Outland winters. We told SEED there was nothing here. About twenty years ago, I broke in with William Senior and his wife..." Nicole grins, "Did you like the Warmachines, Pheobe? This is the origin. Probably of the Families, too."

Cephie grins along, pulling out a spare pouch and tossing it to you. "What's our plan, Pheobe?"

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers and Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ties (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Holdings (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 11:33:34 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: June 28, 2020, 11:42:01 pm »

Approach the structure and appraise to what degree it remains intact.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: June 28, 2020, 11:47:46 pm »

Approach the structure and appraise to what degree it remains intact.
+1
Do we remember what a comma array is?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: June 29, 2020, 12:34:55 am »

You wait patiently for Cephie to craft her wings of carbon before unleashing your own. The two of you drift over the lake, towards the spindly black structure jutting from the water. You and Cephie alight on the array and assess the VOID craft beneath your feet. It's a large one, and, now that you're close enough, you can feel the power humming from its massive fusion reactor. Easily [1,600 meters] in length, from tip to tip. Its shape is obscured by the algae-covered waters.

There are ships plying the Void bigger than cities. Hundreds of thousands of meters long, filled to the brim with guns and cargo bays and living quarters. The largest, of course, are hydrogen freighters, drifting Citadels and Spacehulks. They measure in the tens or hundreds of [kilometers]. The wandering freelancers and pirates that call them their home drift through the space lanes, taking odd jobs, raiding or pillaging -- doing whatever it takes to survive in this unforgiving universe.

"It's a battleship. Small one. Maybe a corvette." Cephie explains, in low Empyreal, "Probably one or two thousand years old -- judging by the design. Well-crafted but not modular. These parts were built in shipyards instead of printed en-masse. I'd say." She states, ripping off a piece of material and looking it over. "Otherwise, it would have taken on rust and rot, 'swell. They don't build ships like this anymore."

"It's fusion generator is still active."

"Well duh, otherwise the light wouldn't be blinking." Cephie snarks, rolling her eyes even as she grins.

"It seems intact."

"Yeah, this was a good landing-- they kept the comms array pointed up. Didn't crush it. If there's no hull breaches--"

"--it could still be voidworthy."

"Its insides will have biological contaminants. It's probably a forest in there -- and don't get your hopes up. Going into the inky black with a cheap patchjob won't get you far."

Its a structure used to send and receive communications in the Void.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 12:37:47 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: June 29, 2020, 12:40:17 am »

["Jane, do we have the necessary resources to transport this ship back to Stormmont?"]

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: June 29, 2020, 12:55:35 am »

Just to clarify something...the Eiffel tower is 300 meters tall. This vessel is 1600 meters in length.

Let me answer for her. Beneath us is [hundreds of millions of kilograms] of metal, sunk into a lake -- it's probably buried in the mud and dirt, as well. There is no hovercraft on this planet that is dragging this thing from its grave. Hell, at this point, its own engines are probably the only thing strong enough to pull it up...if they aren't ruined by the water or unseen damages. But that's a maybe. All large Voidships are ill-designed for coming into the atmosphere.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: June 29, 2020, 12:57:37 am »

((I knew that, I was clearly just testing you.  Congratulations, you passed.))

Find an entrance into the ship.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: June 29, 2020, 01:06:23 am »

Just a question - what are we actually planning on doing with this ship, provided we are actually capable of taking it from this location? I highly doubt that this would be useful or effective in defending against Magnus, or any other voidbourne threat, for that matter. We also have remarkably little need for a communication array. Are we just trying to recover it just in case?
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: June 29, 2020, 01:14:51 am »

If we could get it into orbit, it would be useful for intel gathering (having a view of the entire planet), orbital bombardment, and intersystem diplomacy.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: June 29, 2020, 01:19:21 am »

That makes sense. Actually, now that I think of it, control of near-planetary space could be quite advantageous.
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: June 29, 2020, 07:50:32 am »

I'm all for trying to get this thing flying again.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: June 29, 2020, 07:32:36 pm »

"How long can you hold your breath?" You question Cephie.

"Mmh. How about we find that out later." Her armor shifts, becoming actual armor instead of a neat dress. With a twist of a wicked smile, she spreads her arms and falls backward into the water, shifting mid-fall into a dive. You shake your head, diving in after, your wings hissing and dying as you hit the water. You can see Cephie as she swims through the freezing water, moving stiffly. You go in the opposite direction, counting on your natural night-vision to help you find an entrance.

You find a gap in the plating, a hole where something impacted the vessel long ago. Jagged edges of metal flare inward from the ancient impact, and old wires still spark in the dark. Light is visible. You surface.

With a shiver, you activate Lucille's comms, Patch me through to Cephie.

["Found one?"]

["Yeah, I'll send up a flare."]

You burn hydrogen in the air in a straight line, and Cephie swims to you. She dives without a word, and you follow. It doesn't take long before you drag yourself up into the ship, stepping on to moss-covered metal plates. Cephie gestures widely, turning to give another grin. Your eyes adjust --

Skeletons and armored figures surround you. Unmoving. Died in ages long past. Some wear scraps of jumpsuits, scraps of clothing. All humans of various ages and various genders. Their bones are thin and brittle to the touch. But the armored figures draw your attention, as they should. Ancient Void Marines entombed in sarcophagi of circuitry and alloy. You kneel, fiddling with one as Cephie draws a cutter blade and goes to work on cutting the door open. The blade begins to melt through the alloy of the door as you peel one of the tin-cans open.

A man, his flesh mummified, lays within. While he's nothing more than a torso, his body is one you would expect from a Void Marine. Masses of muscle coiled tight over thick bones. A chiseled jaw with white hair and a knotted beard. Tubes and circuitry scar his flesh all down his chest to his groin. Life support systems, combat drug injectors, and who knows what else, all maintained by a highly advanced AI. The suit too is interesting. It's far denser than anything the Thorntons could have made, with a complex array of micro pneumatics and processors. His head doesn't fill the 'helmet'. Instead, that space is filled with complicated sensors and more of those finicky micro-processors. The breastplate is adorned beautifully in gold and silver with the image of twelve snakes twined together by the tails.

You shut the suit again as the door rattles to the floor. You listen for the hiss of a pressure differential. There is none.

"Internal atmosphere is compromised."

You nod, looking down the dimly lit corridor.

It runs east to west. Towards the far west is the fusion reactor. Darkness lies to the east. Algae and slime cover the floor, and ivy grow along the panels of the wall, eating into the metal. Across from you is another sealed door.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers and Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ties (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Holdings (click to show/hide)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: June 29, 2020, 07:50:44 pm »

[Lucille, activate external lights.]

Carefully investigate the eastern path.