00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 221406 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2020, 09:19:22 am »

“It says vehicles. Vehicle is a name for a large metal object used for transportation”
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2020, 01:02:52 pm »

Hmm.  What are the benefits and disadvantages of telling her what we know?

I ain't seeing any disadvantage right now, truth be told. If she takes a shine to us, we get a place to stay! Simple as that.

I'm not suggesting a particular answer right now, because I suspect there's some hidden meaning to this we the players wouldn't know. Still...

“It says vehicles. Vehicle is a name for a large metal object used for transportation”
+1

...if nothing more fitting comes to mind, we might as well say this.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2020, 12:24:54 am »

Would indicating innate understanding of highly specialized knowledge make her like us, or would it make her suspicious of us?  It's imperative that she not know who we are, as fallen angels seem to be adversaries in this religion ("demons").
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 12:29:07 am by ZBridges »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2020, 12:33:32 am »

Given she's calling us "raider trash" at the moment, I think she just wants us to prove we've got a decent education. Should be fine.

klonk
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2020, 12:51:53 am »

“It says vehicles. 'Vehicle' is a name for a large metal object used for transportation” You offer after a moment's hesitation.

[15]"Your translation is off." The Mother is quick to reply but taps her cane on another of the words. You describe it in the best possible detail. She does this with many, many words. There's a faint nod with each concept you state, and Brother John looks crestfallen by the end of it.

"You're a smart girl-- you've memorized more words than Brother John probably has." Her cold smile still twists her face into something menacing. She gestures at one of the words with her cane, and you glance at it. 'Vehicle.'

[13 vs. 12]Her blow catches you off guard, as she strikes you hard across the face with the cane. Anger follows the pain as you stumble into a defensive position, lifting your arms to ward away another blow as you square your hips. The Mother leans on her cane and watches in silence, the smile gone. "Know how to fight too. Keep your head attached."

"Mother Nicole, I must--" John begins, hurrying to your side. She cuts him off in an instant.

"Don't you Mother Nicole me," She spits, glaring at John, "We need tough people, not just smart ones. If she can't handle a love-tap from an old woman, then she won't be able to handle anything we throw at her. She's smarter than you, tougher too, perceptive, and a damn good liar. Don't patronize her with your sympathy."

You sit in stunned and surprised silence, and when you open your mouth to retort, she cuts you off too.

"I'd apologize, but let's call that sparring for now.  We'll deal with whatever petty emotional baggage you might have from that later. Let's talk business over dinner, Pheobe." Its the first time Mother Nicole uses your name.

Hunger getting the better of the anger, you silently agree.

They lead you to a backroom with a metal table set with food. Steaming loaves of bread, simmering stews and soups, and a warm, sweet smell from the center of the table overwhelm your willpower. You take a seat and get down to business.

The bread is soft, with chunks of potato mixed in. It's warm though, freshly baked, and tasting of heavenly salt. You plow through two loaves. The soup is softer still, but still has a delicious heaviness to it. You recognize the odd gamey, white meat as the [protein] you ate previously, as well as the beans and other herbs. It fills your belly after just a bowl.
Next, the carve you a section of the [apple] tart.  It isn't as sweet as you like, but with a heaping of sour cream, it crowns the dinner off wonderfully.

And it's after your thorough appreciation of their hospitality do they speak. Mostly Mother Nicole, while Brother John nods beside her. She launches into a spiel, one that she's told before, but you notice subtle variations and actual interest.

"I'd like to ask you to join the scholars. I can't promise every meal a feast as good as this, but you won't starve." She eyes your empty plate with the ghost of a real smile. She takes a sip from her glass, "Lots of bread and jerky, but you haven't eaten anything in a long time, have you?"

You grin warily. This morning was a long time ago, at least when it comes to food.

"Plus an education, and a trade. You're what? Fourteen, fifteen?" Something inside of you bristles, but you suppress the emotion. "You could reach elder status in the next ten years if that. Wouldn't your parents want that?"

"Surely, not ten years, Mother, it took me--" Brother John begins, only for her to cut him off.

"She knows more of the Scholar's tongue than you, and she's twenty  years younger." The reply is sharp, crisp, and carefully aimed. Brother John visibly deflates. "Would you be a dear Child and clear up for me? Thank you, Child John."

He looks a little sad as he begins to clear the table, leaving you and the Mother alone.

"I'm serious. The opportunities we can provide for you are endless. The dangers minimal-- " Perhaps Mother Nicole notices your disinterest, or perhaps its the wine talking, but she's grinning now. "Or maybe you're the type of young woman who wants some danger in her life. Wants to feel the rush of adrenaline as she struggles to survive. The McCreary Crusader Force can provide that."

"For what?"

"Secrecy. Loyalty. Your strengths." Mother Nicole looks amused, "You never teach what we give you to others without permission. You obey your superiors when we ask. You give us that strength of will and intelligence, and we give you knowledge and shared purpose. There's a contract you'll sign. You'll receive a last name to sign it with, usually the name of your sponsor. You'll take mine."

[6]She finishes with a gentle implication while grinning a wolf's grin, "It's dangerous out there for the lonely scholar. Raiders and slavers abound. Knowing as much as you know, if anybody was looking through the front door, they would have found a very valuable mark."

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2020, 01:16:52 am »

This seems to me like the best chance at a stable life we'll be getting any time soon! I'm inclined to go for it, but I want to know first what we're getting into.

Express interest. Try and find out more about the contract, the induction process... and what exactly our "superiors" would be asking of us.

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2020, 01:19:03 am »

This seems to me like the best chance at a stable life we'll be getting any time soon! I'm inclined to go for it, but I want to know first what we're getting into.

Express interest. Try and find out more about the contract, the induction process... and what exactly our "superiors" would be asking of us.
+1

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2020, 05:11:43 am »

+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2020, 05:30:23 am »

You express interest by ignoring the threat that makes your skin crawl and instead focus on the older woman in front of you. Her skin is browned by the sun and marked with old scars. She's hunched over with age, but her eyes are bright and hard as diamonds. A crooked grin curves her lips. There's something familiar about her.

"What does the contract involve?"

She pulls a paper from a nearby book, pushing it over to you.  Its a relatively simple contract, however deeply crouched in linguistic backflips it might be. You belong to the Scholars. In return, and commensurate with your rank within the organization, you will be provided with room, board, and food. After twenty-five years, you will be allowed to open a private enterprise or a new church, freed from your bonds, but still bound to secrecy about anything you've learned. You will be allowed to teach a certain number of individuals your skills. The legal jargon makes your head buzz worse than usual when you read it.

Failure to comply with a direct order, yadda yadda, may result in a punishment depending on the severity of the offense, up to execution. Jail time is also listed, as is being 'exiled from the blessing of the SEED.'

"As for the induction process, you'll be sent to one of the training academies. After two years, you'll be allowed to select a more permanent job. I'd like you to follow in my footsteps with the Crusaders, but a direct posting in the Capital would also suit you well. We'll talk more about it when it comes to your selection. We have time."

"What orders am I expected to follow?" You ask.

"Mine, first and foremost, and you'll keep them quiet." She sips her wine, watching you, "After that, the Elders, Parents and Elder Siblings can all order you around, follow the most highest-ranking order first, except where mine are involved. You follow mine first, no matter what. There are abuses, but the vast majority might be busy-work or major tasks. If you join the Crusaders, you will need to kill or risk your life, but you won't have a problem with that, will you?"

You furrow your brow, looking askance.

"Don't try and act innocent." Mother Nicole's voice sharpens, "You smell of blood and ashes." With a snicker that sends shivers down your spine, she continues, "Your pants are covered with them. Your coat is burned-- something is wrong with your side..." She sobers. "But the thing I noticed first? Your eyes. They never really recover. You've killed."

[6]You have no retort. Mother Nicole smiles across the table, staying silent herself. There's no warmth in her as she watches you intently. It gives you a distinct feeling of being sized up, and your silence spoke volumes.  Triumph. She's triumphant right now, and you, you're a mouse caught in a trap.

But you wonder if you should feel guilty. You killed three men just this morning. You didn't mean to, but you only feel satisfied by the outcome. You watched Doc Mitchell die, but his death weighs less on your mind than you expected. Eventually, Mother Nicole taps on the table, jarring you out of your quiet contemplation.

"Look, don't let it get to you, all that matters is that you're alive at the end of the day." She offers, attempting to be helpful, and you once again want to snap at her, but can't offer an argument. "Any other questions before you sign, Phoebe?"

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 05:56:19 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2020, 07:49:15 am »

Are we sure we want to join these people, as the whole thing seems rather sinister or at least the old woman does.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2020, 07:49:51 am »

”Why did you join? How did you end up here? What’s your story? Everyone has a story. A reason.”
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2020, 07:58:35 am »

”Why did you join? How did you end up here? What’s your story? Everyone has a story. A reason.”
+1

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2020, 08:15:41 am »

+1
+1

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2020, 12:11:28 am »

" Why did you join? How did you end up here? What's your story? Everyone has a story. A reason."

[19] "When I was around your age," Mother Nicole begins, "[ the great plague ] ravaged my homeland. All-around me, people died. The local government did nothing. There was nothing to be done except to kill or amputate the injured. They failed at that, too. The Scholars, or rather, SEED, called a crusade — the twelfth great one. Every man and woman that could hold a gun fought. I got a peg-leg and enlisted. I was good at it, and they honed my skills, let me get what I truly wanted. Revenge for my leg, revenge for my friends, and family and the town I loved."

She sits, sad and deflated, swirling her wine around in the glass.

[15] "I got old. Couldn't lead or fight as the young could. I could whip any punk The Scholars sent me into line. Until I couldn't." She laughs, "That was when I hung up my armor and asked for a cushy retirement job. They gave it to me. I'm in charge of this Church and the Town around it. We'll be here for another fifteen years, then move on to a new assignment or new town. Until then, I drink and think."

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2020, 12:14:46 am »

Ask her if we can take a few days to think about it before signing the contract.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 04:56:34 am by ZBridges »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 381