00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 224003 times)

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act IV: The Crusaders of Holy Phoenix
« Reply #5295 on: November 14, 2020, 12:47:00 am »

"There will be alterations." You declare, looking through the document. "Next time you attempt a coup-- look me in the eye when you do it. Get my squad and shuttle ready."

"May I ask what you intend to do?" Isela looks relieved, even as she nervously meets your gaze.

"We've shown the world the strength of the Crusaders, the strength of Eric, of the Thorntons, of Murdach and his merry men. I'm going to remind everyone just what I am."

"And what is that?"

"A Goddess Of War."

Isela leaves with fresh orders. Hovercrafts are dispatched to collect the materials you request. Autocannons from the foundries of the new Crusade, the Outlander mask from Rekhyt, the camera crew from the Pirates, and of course, the most important; information from the fledging scouting parties making new forays into Plague territories.

A Nexus is located.

I am going to be making a foray into the Plague territory while being filmed. I believe it would be useful propaganda towards both furthering our relationship with the Pirates and towards cementing my strength to my people. I intend to be masked-- You cut the Mesmer to examine your face. Scars from the acid burn turns most of your face into a grisly patchwork of black scar tissue. Red lines of oxidized iron twist themselves around your chin and neck -- an echo of the eddies of willpower you suffered through. Your body bears the same scarring. With a twist of willpower, you hide the damage. You try to smile at yourself.

Your face only twitches in response.

What powers and their uses are you interested in? Do you have any issues with my plans?

Eric enters the room just as you finish dressing. He gives a tight bow, keeping the crisp lines of his uniform straight. You twist your mesmer into a brief smile.

"Would you feel more comfortable in your mask, Eric?"

He blinks and glances up sharply.

"That was not a taunt. I can...understand the comfort such things provide."

He hesitates, then removes it from under his coat. He straps it to his face, and his muscles relax. You approach, setting a hand on his shoulder and looking down at him with that forced, false smile.

"Confess to me your fears, Eric -- old friend."

The man breaks down into weak sobs with the barest touch of willpower. There is no contest. The razor-sharp, brittle discipline leaves him. You wrap him in cold comfort as he takes deep gasping breaths through his mask. He shakes as he begins to speak.

"I'm scared. Scared -- the Plague. It corrupts us. The Crusaders. Me. SEED. I have nightmares. I have...visions. Nightmares. They haunt me. I used to hope it was just [shellshock, post-traumatic stress, lit battle fatigue]. But....but the things I've seen..."

"Visions of the enemy's plans for our beautiful world. Visions that we must never let come to pass. The Plague taunts Eri--"

"No!" He pulls away, "I...I'm changing. I'm infected! I cannot...the way my body reacts. How I feel-- the rage the anger-- I can't control it sometimes--"

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers and Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ties (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Holdings (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 01:02:28 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act IV: The Goddess of War
« Reply #5296 on: November 14, 2020, 02:11:51 am »

I'd like to see the various acids you can produce and how effective they are against the Plague.  As for Eric...perhaps you should help him Ascend, either through you or your kin, if that would help him?  He seems deserving, but I don't know if it would break his faith.  Did you have different, conflicting plans on how to build the Line?

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: November 14, 2020, 03:42:13 am »

The subtle manipulations of this plague is worrying, it seems automated to drive people to mad and cultish behaviors.

Burning it out of Eric through ascension might be the only real way to save him at this point unless you wish to just burn him up as a resource.

I feel the best way to overcome the faith issue is to focus on the power of ascended and the empyre and SEED being god-like and him now being elevated closer to the plateau of an angel.  That we are in a crusade to save not just one world but the galaxy from the wrongful nobles who have usurped and misused the power of the true ruler.

Get a good OATH from him first though so you can at least put him down if it comes to it.  And try a lighter touch with your golden words, use them to convince rather then bowl over.

Confine expanding the line except to exceptional individuals.  Those who prove loyalty and skill.

Also yes hydrochloric acid sounds fuuuun.  You could keep the separated then.. combine them together when needed.  Powered by a fusion reaction to get the energy and irradiating the plague beasts at the same time you burn them. 

Fight your way to the center of the nexus then met everything in it in a grand display maybe I don't know.

Consider forcing some math to make a stronger steel alloy with iron, silicon and others then use that for the armor.  Standard elemental armor uses willpower to keep the armor in shape but actual material science can do it much more cost effectively.

Look into revamping your sustained powers as well I seem to be <error safeguards activated>.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 03:46:57 am by VoidSlayer »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: November 14, 2020, 04:42:14 am »

Lets try out all of our new powers, and making Eric one of the ascended is probably the only way we can keep him from dying or going insane at this point.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: November 14, 2020, 10:30:08 pm »

He mentioned he’s infected, wouldn’t ascending him make a Plague Lord then?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5300 on: November 14, 2020, 11:05:33 pm »

Unclear... one option would be to quarantine him after the procedure and see if he still shows signs of Infection.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5301 on: November 18, 2020, 02:07:43 am »

[20]Emma is the only untainted branch of this part of the Line. William is...stunted. You reason quietly, fixing your eyes on Eric. A dozen thoughts on how to deal with the individual flash through your mind...but they are all stunted by a lack of information. I do not know...if it a good idea to pass on my current Essence. Eric might not survive the memory overload. And with the Plague's current grip...Ascending him might turn him into something worse. Worse than me.

"Eric. Listen-- listen." You cut him off. "Go speak to Silas and Emma. Tell them to aid you in any way possible. Tell them to use all of our resources. Anything. Even Ascension."

"I'm not letting Silas turn me into an experimen--" Eric warily starts, bristling.

[8][6][14]You fail to contain the burst of anger with Eric's defiance. Your free hand wraps around his throat, and you slam him back against a wall. "Listen to me you stupid [fuck]!" You slam him back, into the metal, your muscles straining with the effort of even manipulating the bulky, heavy man. You catch yourself before you slam him back again. "...I'm not trying to make you into an experiment, Eric. I won't let them."

A shock of emotions play out over his face. Fear. Acceptance -- but only after defiance fades. You can see him processing the world according to his faith. According to his belief in the system. His silver hand twitches towards your grip, but stills.

"...okay."

[29+1]"Eric-- Listen! You are the most faithful man I've ever worked with. I need you strong for as long as possible. Our Crusade doesn't end here. Our god, SEED, existed on many worlds. As many worlds as stars in the night sky. Faithless scum-- they destroyed SEED. Our's was the last. Our's was the most faithful...and our God needs vengeance. Not just on this world. But on all worlds -- on the Nobility that wronged them." You pause, "I want Silas and Emma to make you into an angel. Like McCreary. Like me. Like Emma and William. But only--only if you are pure of heart and faith."

Eric's eyes widen as you explain, still backed against the wall. He's confused but slowly begins to nod along. "Th-that means...I. I understand."

"Eric-- But just swear it to me. Please." You soften, breathing out a soft sigh. "That you will serve me. That you will serve my Crusade loyally until such a time that it is completed. That you will be faithful, true and loyal to your goddess until the End of Time itself."

"I will alway--"

"Swear it, Eric. Please."

"I swear." He doesn't hesitate a second time.

...I do believe the seed has been planted. SEED was quite godlike, though, wasn't it? Ancient technology with materials and processes that only Empyror understand. Made paradises...until we decided to rip it apart.

[25]Despite a difficult beginning, you turn your attention to your subconscious processes. The Mesmer is...damaged due to physiological trauma and base template scarring. It burns more calories now to hide the scarring, and is still synced with previous muscle groups -- ones burned or ruptured by your new acquisition of power. You could let it sync with new data, but it would reveal your mangled new face to the world.

[20] The wings now burn a complex mixture of hydrogen, iron and chlorine. Previously you had it synced with your base element. The reaction's energy cost has also changed -- it costs less energy, producing some by the oxidizing of the iron particles in an acidic environment.

On a whim, you reach out, focusing on copying the procedure on a smaller scale -- with the rusting of part of your bed, you produce more energy than you consume. However, the gains are minimal, at best.

How to fix...how to fix...should I even fix the wings? The color is odd, but the damage to lift and speed is minimal. And the face...I will have to wear a mask either way. Conscious manipulation of those muscle groups is difficult and time consuming.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5302 on: November 18, 2020, 03:13:48 am »

Shift the wings spectrum by changing the concentrations of power.  A more efficient one for long range, a faster one for combat, a burning one of acid to engulf foes.

The woman in an iron mask seems fun ha.  You could even give it life like features as a half living metal, easier to control then a muscle group I guess?  Of course a stronger composite alloy for the inner layer with iron just as a coating for looks.

SEED was an absolute necessity for mankind's expansion and ascension.  They were also a terrible mistake.  I am sure you'll make a lot more wonderful mistakes.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5303 on: November 18, 2020, 03:23:27 am »

Experimenting with different aspects of your wings does seem worthwhile, but currently the situation looks like a win to me, as they're more efficient than they used to be.  As for abandoning the humanity of your face... that's quite a radical and personal decision, one that I feel is better left to you.  Think it over and weigh the pros and cons.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5304 on: November 18, 2020, 07:27:45 am »

Experimentation is the pathway to innovation, as for your face that is a personal thing and is up to you.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: November 23, 2020, 12:22:14 am »

You take a breath, rising from your meditative pose and drawing yourself from the state of consciousness that borders on the arithmetic of the universe. You twist matter from the rock as you walk, crafting yourself a mask. It wraps tightly around your face, hiding it beneath iron and silicon. A blank expression chiseled upon androgynous features. A mockery of a similar mask you once wore. You unfurl your wings in the elevator and stride into the hangar with a swagger befitting your station.

The crusader pilots and hover attendants pause in their tasks to take note. Your will washes over them like a heatwave -- and they kneel to their rightful god. There are no second glances as you make your way to the idling hovercraft. When you reach the massive hangar doors, you step off and into the cold night air.

You are the guiding star for the hovercrafts that follow behind.  The chitter of the radio hisses in your ear, and you bank towards a valley. The crafts set down neatly beside you. Attendants roll out weaponry, nanofeasts, and chemical canisters.

[20] You lift two of the autocannons with your willpower. Sleek steel gleams with new burnish. Rounds hang down in great belts -- the bullets as thick as two of your fingers. You force a smile. Eric approaches, the Naval Cannon braced across his shoulders. Stoic beneath his gas mask. An attendant straps shield generators to both of you.

You step up the hill to look down over the twisted remains of the city.

The ruins lay beneath gray 'organic' growth. Abominations and behemoths of the plague stagger through the streets. Colossi nests jut from the earth in obsidian monuments to their corruption. Red algae, red mold, coats every surface with a bloody sheen—a charnel pit beneath the distant stars' cold light.

But, what draws your attention is a great plague beast. It's a leviathan mass of tentacles, eyes, and writhing flesh towering over the city. Its silvery gray shell marked with the faces of the dead and damned -- screaming in silent agony. It stands taller than the buildings, as wide as a plaza. It twists through the remnants of the city with an odd grace as arcs of red lightning burn through the sky from its shell.

"Your orders, Mother Pheonix?" Eric mumbles through his mask. The rest of your Crusaders, a squad of the best of the best, marked with your emblem, stand at the ready. A technical crew of the Skarin clans stand behind a void-marine, the air humming with shield technology.

I intend to overload the naval cannon to soften the target. Then advance with my autocannons until they can no longer be used. Then attack with acid and fire until nothing stands. I could, also, rip the earth apart if its more advisable. Your suggestions?

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers and Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ties (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Holdings (click to show/hide)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: November 23, 2020, 01:14:01 am »

Keep earth ripping in your back pocket as an emergency defensive measure.  You can effectively crush your own forces in the earth but leave a pocket for them to survive in the middle, creating a temporary shelter while crushing the horde around.  Control of the landscape of a battlefield can sometimes be more powerful then direct attacks.

I would also suggest that they might have some kind of blood with iron in it, or the rest of their bodies might.  Cant really control it while they are alive but burn them with fire and acid, then pull the iron out and forge it into weapons or walls and defenses of your will.  Maybe not enough iron in that to be worth it though...

Forcing this much could lead to overloads so keep your forces near you to defend if you need to recover for a few minutes. 

Standard plague tactics, take out or hurt the leviathan then the colossi.

Eric has fought a lot of plague things and had good tactical senses as well right?  Tell him to advise you if the plague beasts are making any unusual moves.  They are always adapting and you need to know where they might have new surprises.  Make sure he knows you value both his combat ability and his tactical senses.

Maybe have him give commands to your other forces directly?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: November 23, 2020, 01:36:50 am »

I'm not sure that there would be enough iron in plagued blood to create weapons out of, and our forces are already well-armed, but if it is possible, I wouldn't have anything against creating iron defenses.  The blood should be able to be manipulated while the creatures are still alive, as long as it has significant water content.

Other than that, I agree with my elder.  Make a flashy show of it, but keep some powers in reserve to prevent the Plague from adapting too quickly.  Maybe stick to just a few types of acids, for example.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 02:03:24 am by ZBridges »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: November 23, 2020, 07:08:37 am »

I agree with the others make a flashy show and burn everything to ashes and leave nothing living.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: November 24, 2020, 02:39:58 am »

"Eric. You will provide me with backup." You firmly command. "If you notice any changes in tactics or if you have any suggestions let me know. I trust your judgment."

"Mother Pheonix." Eric tilts his head in a nod, his voice muffled.

"Prepare the cannon."

Eric braces himself against the ground, levelling the Naval cannon on its tripod and slipping the scope monocle over his mask's viewport. "Locked."

[14][18][27]You make a show of running your hand along the barrel. Your gloved fingers dance along the weapon -- there was no need for this practical theatric, but divinity requires a certain gravitas. The arithmetic began to run as soon as he had a lock.

The reactor hums as the energy held constrained by the overcharged battery surges forth. Hydrogen atoms twist into light and shatter the array with the force. You do not need it. You focus the beam of light with your willpower. It lances out, turning day to night-- the Levithan screams as its flesh and bone is instantly vaporized into a superheated mist. Three pulse sets burn a crater into its side. It stumbles, collapsing into a building as it screams in agony. Eric drops the burning rifle, rising from his prone position. An attendant straps a shield to his wrist and hands him a Warmachine sized Inferno Shotgun.

You rise on wings of blood and swoop into the city. Your Crusaders make the charge. A god and a single section of Crusaders versus an entire city of Plague.

Your autocannons run out of ammo before you breach the city. You twist the burning hot steel into iron spears that lance through the mass of Plague. A few shots of las-fire hiss in futile rage against your shield, but you retaliate, and silence those guns with strikes of steel. Your Crusaders mop up the remains with bloody efficiency -- protected by their proximity to you. Another laser burns against your shield -- you don't even look, sending a spear of fire and iron in answer.

You begin to craft yourself a corona of iron from the corrupted Plague's blood as it runs in rivers beneath your floating form. Every las-shot is answered with a javelin of superheated iron. Eric's gun blazes from behind and the Crusaders form a tight knot around the two of you. His shots never miss -- and his fury matches your own.

The colossi emerge from their cocoons as you enter the city proper. Two rip through buildings-- trying to ambush you. Eric's gun burns through one of their shells-- but the beasts still. Fixated on the greater threat that hovers before them in a corona of fire and iron.

[|||||||] [|||||||]

...fascinating. You...you're different. You must have discovered others of your kind...tell ư̸̧̧͎̩͉̫̟̮͛̈́̈́̑̀͂̌́̃̎̽͠s̷̛͓̞̦̙̠͚̹͇͖̫͚͇̝͗̏̈́̈́̈́̒̈̌͑̕͜ why you trespass here today? Were the terms of our peace too harsh? It echoes in your head. It burns in your bones and-- black ichor begins to drip from the sky. The earth shifts beneath you -- screaming faces, twisting skulls and lashing tentacles. A small, man-sized, inverted pyramid rips itself from the fleshy ground. A shifting, hazy construct of black dust that hurts your eyes to look at. ...or perhaps you come to strike another type of bargain with u̴͎̜̱̱̓ș̸̨̢̼̙͚͍̫͎̟͎̈̈̆͠?

It splits apart, revealing an androgynous figure. A faceless entity of silver and chrome that approaches you on wings of glass and stone.

Or perhaps now it is a hunger that drives you. Haven't you consumed enough of your elders?
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 381