00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 223503 times)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act IV: The Goddess of War
« Reply #5520 on: January 18, 2021, 04:38:17 am »

If you can survive losing cohesion and becoming a mass of stuff, and reform a body from that, you should be able to reform a body from that which has two arms.

Phoebe's body is capable of returning to it baseline physical form.  I would recommend searching the thread for the word "baseline."  This is a restriction that seems to have purposefully been placed on Ascended, some sort of limiter.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5521 on: January 18, 2021, 04:44:02 am »

(Sure.  And that baseline form has changed, and been changed, by her abilities or the results thereof.  She may indeed not be capable of producing a specific desired change, but it isn't impossible.)

(And I know there was a failed attempt early in the thread to do that with something more minor, when she was a lot less powerful, that failed due to a bad roll.)

(Thirdly, knowing how to form and control limbs could well be useful towards manipulating her ever-growing massive wings of sharp flame she is apt to manifest.  Between that and the uncontrolled fusion reactions, control is simply an element of power, and one that is in my opinion, far more necessary.  A partial success or a limb that is only an imitation of flesh would be better than nothing, and can be improved on.)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 04:46:19 am by Devastator »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5522 on: January 18, 2021, 04:51:43 am »

Her baseline form has not been changed by her abilities specifically or their results.  It has been stated that the change comes from significant emotional experiences that go towards defining her as a person.  It's possible she may able to artificially engineer these moments, but so far all the changes to her baseline have been negative in nature.

Sometimes the rolls are just how bad the failure will be.  The presence of a roll does not confirm any ability.

Yes, it would be useful to be able to grow and control limbs, but as I said, it's impossible due to the restrictions that have been placed on Ascended.  She would require carbon manipulation to be able to achieve that.

Look, if we can regrow the arm, then I would be all for experimenting with that.  I apologize if I'm coming off as hostile.  It's just that everything I've been told suggests that it isn't possible.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 05:14:28 am by ZBridges »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5523 on: January 18, 2021, 05:10:43 am »

Her baseline form has not been changed by her abilities specifically or their results.  It has been stated that the change comes from significant emotional experiences that go towards defining her as a person.  It's possible she may able to artificially engineer these moments, but so far all the changes to her baseline have been negative in nature.

Sometimes the rolls are just how bad the failure will be.  The presence of a roll does not confirm any ability.

Yes, it would be useful to be able to grow and control limbs, but as I said, it's impossible due to the restrictions that have been placed on Ascended.  She would require carbon manipulation to be able to achieve that.

Look, if we can regrow the arm, then I would be all for experimenting with that.  It's just that everything I've been told suggests that it isn't possible.
This. The reason the new arm was made is because a new arm couldn’t be grown. The operation must begin

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5524 on: January 18, 2021, 05:39:38 am »

(Your argument is understandable, even if I don't feel it's accurate, but there's just two points that I feel needs rebuttal.

"Her baseline form has not been changed by her abilities specifically or their results."

The very existance of a 'baseline form' is something created by her abilities.  Such a thing would not exist without those abilities.  What you're saying is that the only currently-known thing that results in the baseline form being changed are significant emotional experiences.. and that does not mean there is no other way, nor does it mean it doesn't operate through her powers

"Yes, it would be useful to be able to grow and control limbs, but as I said, it's impossible due to the restrictions that have been placed on Ascended.  She would require carbon manipulation to be able to achieve that."

Or make an iron limb and use it as a prosthetic.  I see no reason that said manipulation cannot extend towards creating things that feel arbritrarily lifelike, given sufficient time and practice.

The one thing she was said to be lacking in was control.  And almost completely lacking in such.  I suspect that dedicated efforts towards controlling said powers would render such an arbritrary restriction as 'baseline form' meaningless.

Getting this arm isn't a wrong choice, but it's your choice.  Phoebe would be fully capable of developing every ability granted to her by the arm without the arm, be it making her own internal, personal fusion reactor or producing a sufficiently lifelike artificial limb.  Getting this one grafted is a specific choice being made, not a necessity.)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 05:43:04 am by Devastator »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5525 on: January 18, 2021, 05:24:34 pm »

I think you're right about the prosthetic.  Phoenix has used metal to act as a mask capable of expressing facial features, and we have temporarily created non-flesh arms.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5526 on: January 18, 2021, 05:54:22 pm »

[25] You know you exist missing an arm, therefore you exist missing an arm. The memories of your pain, your sacrifice for this planet continue to persist in the depths of your mind. The coppery-iron sweetness of your blood, at times, still lingers on your tongue. You've even noticed a distaste of undercooked meat for the simple reason that it brings these memories to the surface. Far from the blessed repression of that moment you enjoy.

You question if your skills could create a simulacra of your arm. You do not know for sure, but considering you can manipulate four universal elements. Such things are possible. Far easier than suffering through the memories of your agony, as well.

You contemplate if Cephie could assist. Organic carbon manipulation is her forte, after all.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers and Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ties (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Holdings (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 06:05:19 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5527 on: January 18, 2021, 06:21:18 pm »

((Next question, of course, is with all this advanced biotechnology if someone could clone or grow a replacement to be grafted on, perhaps from a sample of her own flesh  And yes, I'm sure some of your allies, friends, or coterie members could help with it.

Not being able to fix it through direct healing abilities doesn't mean it can't be fixed, just that a different path is needed.  If you're worried about her forgetting her sacrifice, there's no reason to expect any lack of scarring or any loss of memories.

I would prefer it to involve Phoebe's powers on some level, as learning limb manipulation would be immensely useful for those massive wings of razor flame.  Maybe do a replacement made by her to use while the replacement is being grown.

Or take this one for temporary use while planning the replacement.))

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: January 18, 2021, 06:25:19 pm »

What form are you thinking for the prosthetic based on her powers, and should it also use carbon manipulation?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 06:58:18 pm by ZBridges »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5529 on: January 18, 2021, 07:28:52 pm »

((Up to you.  Personally, it'd depend on the goal.. do you want one for fighting now?  One for practicing and expanding powers of control?  One that'll directly translate into controlling those wings?

My thoughts are more about materials.  Producing an arm of ice should be possible, by manipulating hydrogen bonds to keep water freezing at a much higher temperature.

More strength could be held by doing the reverse for an arm of rocky material or glass, which can be made by combining silicon with oxygen.  It could then be manipulated to be more flexably bonded, and more similar to carbon instead of forming endless rafts of silicon dioxide.  Or impurities can be used, along with extra heat from fire to make a hot molten glass-like arm that's flexable and strong.

Or just go with a detailed, complicated arm of iron.

Chlorine seems less useful for making solid materials.

There's also the possibility of an arm of fire, to directly try to translate into wing control.

As for what physical shape, dunno.  If you want an arm, though, it should be an arm.  Or arm-like.  Since one made of her powers would be temporary, could do other things with it, depending on what you'd like to practice, if the attempt is successful.  It probably also wouldn't have to be just an arm or exactly like one.. that would probably be beyond her control for now.))

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5530 on: January 18, 2021, 07:36:05 pm »

I like the ice and glass idea.  The problem with this arm is that it supposedly cannot be removed, so if we do decide to use it, it can't be temporary.  Perhaps we should experiment a bit before going all-in with the Plague arm.

It would also be helpful to get a better idea of the Plague arm's capabilities so that we can make an informed decision.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5531 on: January 18, 2021, 07:49:28 pm »

((Ice for sure if there wasn't fighting coming up.  Ice just isn't that strong, even if you're superboosting it with hydrogen bonds.  With fighting I suspect just making a clawed arm of one of the solid options, or solid fire like the wings, could be better.

I would also bet the arm is removable, if we had the knowledge to make sure it was installed in the right way.  To be honest, I'm worried more about the fusion engine than just the arm or the extra nanites.. I bet Phoebe could learn to make a way, way better internal fusion engine than one she just finds, with practice, but working off an obsolete one that once belonged to someone else would hinder her in the long term.

The arm is a massive amount of extra power right now, which would be useful... but I'd strongly recommend at least trying to negotiate for more if you do decide to accept it, be it knowledge, power, etcetera.  Biotech skills, how to make replacement limbs, etc.))

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5532 on: January 18, 2021, 08:03:40 pm »

Why not have the arm incorporate each of the elements we control? Chlorine is acidic and toxic, it can be useful as well

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5533 on: January 18, 2021, 08:15:38 pm »

((On a side note, what is going on RP-wise?  I'm not sure if I should be in-character or out, and if I am in-character, how should I respond to Devastator?))

The Plague has never seen our chlorine powers, so it may be very susceptible to that.  Could we have some sort of gaseous arm, or one made from other elements which is surrounded by a cloud of chlorine gas?

Time is short.  Start by asking Ava to detail the features of the arm.
Ask her if it has any advantages over an arm created through element manipulation.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 11:25:02 pm by ZBridges »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5534 on: January 19, 2021, 05:39:19 am »

Why don't we make an arm from metal so we can have an actual iron fist.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 381