00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 224488 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act IV: The Goddess of War
« Reply #5550 on: January 28, 2021, 05:18:44 am »

It probably is time to go back to killing plague stuff.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5551 on: February 01, 2021, 09:18:55 pm »

War. Philosophers across time and space have decried or glorified the most practiced craft of mankind. Even this far along in evolution, humans still practice the ancient art of their ancestors. As an Ascended, you were made to embody the supremacy of humanity, atleast as viewed through the Empyror’s eyes. You excel in this most ancient profession. You revel in it. War is your destiny. Your art. Your greatest virtue.

While, just as the Philosophers of Old did, you feel conflicted about this ancient skill, there is no guilt in this war. Only the joy of a craft well practiced by a skilled artisan. Isela gave you an operational range and strict orders to return to the site of the field generator for resupply and rest, but let you fill in the blanks on your own. So, after flying to the site overlooking the great Holy City Crater, you gathered your zealots, and began to ply your profession.

Physics, chemistry, fire, iron, and lasers; the tools of your trade. With these weapons you rain Infected ichor down upon the scorched earth. Ruined city after ruined city is purged by nuclear fire, by burning iron, by artillery. Your Zealots, those Crusaders that follow your craft like apprentices to a master, provide support where they can. And when they die, if they die, they die happy to have given their life in this pursuit.

You have not slept in six days. Eric, in two. You lay against each other, exhausted. The hovercraft shivers and shudders as it flies towards the forward operating base. Many of your Zealots steal whatever sleep they can in these rare moments of peace. You started with fifty of these hardened Crusaders.  You clad them in gifted carapace armor and advanced weapons, providing them with tools, so they could provide you. support and reconnaissance in the harshest of battlegrounds. They, in turn, provided you with respite and information. Now your Zealots number twenty-nine in total. Clad in the red and gold armor, they menace even in the throes of fitful sleep.

“There’s been no major assaults on the forward base in the last four days.”

“Good.” You were on the edge of sleep when Eric roused you with his mumbled report.

“We’ve pushed all the way to the River Noir.” Eric continues, voice amplified by the suit's internal circuits. “We need to rest.”

Your lips curl into a frown. “You have my leave, if that’s what you wish.”

“Thank you, Mother Pheonix.”

You nod and get back to the pressing issue—sleep. You never realized how exhausted you could be.

The generator, you note, is complete. It hums beneath the earth with immense power, emitting a willpower field in mechanical mimicry of your own. The room dug above it is where you’ve set up a field headquarters. Isela and Emma join you from the safety of Stormmont as you doze. Maps appear on the screen, but you pay them no mind, not really.

“…as you can see, there’s a continent in the western sea. We’ve determined that’s the center of the Infection. The storm would prevent air support from reaching it – not to mention the high altitude low atmosphere anti-aircraft weaponry. The Skarinite observation craft sustained damage during its flight...” Isela drones on, unable to get to the point—

“We cannot reach it.” You interrupt.

“Not without flying through the Storm. The Outlanders lack the prerequisite operating bases.”

“So we have to destroy the storm?”

“Yes.”

“Do you have a plan?” You rub at your face.

“Yes. If you so request, I will send the operational map by courier.”

“Op-operational map?” You blink.

“I’ve been studying military doctrine. I made it in the [Empyreal] standard style: [American-Terran Strategic Operational.]” Isela notes your exhausted appearance, "Or I could just explain it."
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 06:18:34 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5552 on: February 01, 2021, 09:39:14 pm »

"Could you please just explain it?  I am weary, and I don't need to see every detail, as I trust in your abilities."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: February 02, 2021, 06:45:52 am »

Just explaining it will make everything go faster.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: February 03, 2021, 11:46:22 pm »

"Simplicity. An ambush. The Outlanders and Skarinites will lie in reserve within craft-distance. The storm will break over the Crater-- and we open up. The [antimatter] warheads go off. We pound them with artillery, hover assaulter troops and Skarinite Warmachines." Isela grins, her expression cold. "And you-- are going to stay put in the Mobile Operation Base."

The Mobile Operation Base, while bearing such a boring name, was anything but. It was one of the largest hovercraft in the fledgling fleet. Fortified with carbon-nanotube plating, filled with fusion reactors, Voidship sized weaponry and the most up-to-date communications array that this planet could provide. The Pirate technicians ripped apart the Valhol for parts and shredded their sleep schedules to finish it.

Amphetamines, you note, with a hollow grin, had replaced tea in the foundries and workshops of your world. Twenty hour shifts were the norm now. Every man, woman, and child was working towards Paradise. Your Preachers proselytized that now, now was the end of days. Now was when all of Humanity would need to band together. When sacrifice was not only required, but mandatory.

"...and why is that, again?" You ask, scratching at your jaw with a clawed hand.

"Morale and strategy. You have limited strength, as all reports suggest. You require a huge expenditure of energy for your powers. I want to use you to strike hard, and strike fast when an important target presents itself or the [antimatter] fails." Isela looks up from her document. "Do you have a problem with that, Mother Pheonix?"

She looks old despite her age. You note, with a focusing of your eyes, that her hair is starting to grey. That there are wrinkles and marks of stress. Her once animated voice is slow. Almost sonorous now.

"Mother Pheonix?"

"Sorry." Your mind drifts when you're sleep deprived.

She awaits your response, but you change the subject. "Eric and William?"

"Leading soldiers on the front line. They volunteered."

"Emma?"

"Well I--" Isela is cut off by your consort.

"I will be on the Mobile Base." Emma tosses some hair over her shoulder. "If we fail, it'll be a quicker death. Opposed to when it rips Stormmont apart, of course."

"Murdach and Rekhyt?"

"In charge of their ambushing parties."

You nod until Isela interrupts.

"And uh-- Nicole Gainer is...well she's demanded a spot in the action."

You scowl, considering all she said.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5555 on: February 03, 2021, 11:58:42 pm »

"The use of antimatter weaponry to destroy the storm will have lasting implications.  We will lose our ability to deter the Outlanders, members of a stronger nation that will soon be in the midst of civil war, but I suppose that needs must.  When this is over, we will need to discuss the requests you presented to me.  The Crusaders deserve many rewards."

"Where is Cephie?"

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: February 04, 2021, 12:14:37 am »

Isela gives a wane smile. "If we win." Then, at your final question, she looks over at Emma. The latter woman keeps a careful, neutral expression. After a long pause, she speaks in high Empyreal.

"She left. Today. Filled up her ship and, I assume, is sitting cozy in cryo somewhere in orbit. She's not answering my calls, and her datapad is far more advanced than the Pirate's. Hacking proved...ineffective."

"As a side note," Emma continues, in high Empyreal, "Murdach has rigged his ship to explode if we fail."

"Justified."

"And I've instructed Ava to blow Stormmont's reactors in much the same way."
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 12:16:42 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5557 on: February 04, 2021, 12:28:26 am »

"Sigh... it is what it is.  If we fall here today, I fully intend to do my duty to ensure that the Plague will be neutralized.  At any cost.  The stakes are too high to do otherwise.  I am ready to play my part in the operation, unless it would help morale for me to speak to our soldiers first?"

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: February 04, 2021, 12:34:59 am »

"In time. I can find you a speech writer, if you want. We have...three days and speeches work best when the iron is hot, so to speak. Is there anything you want to do?" Isela suggests. "The front is secure...and you have time. I'm planning on visiting my family. I've already approved my leave."

"Is-is everyone?" You question, confused.

"William is in Thornig, visiting Polly's grave." Emma offers.

"Eric is at the Applegate Farm." Isela nods.

"Rekhyt is boozing and whoring it up with his soldiers."

"Murdach is doing the same. Nicole is apparently with him."

"And I intend to visit the Family Crater." Emma snarks, smiling faintly.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5559 on: February 04, 2021, 12:42:23 am »

Hmm.  How should we spend what could be our last few days on this world?  Maybe we could return to where we came from, District 9?  Or spend it with family, one of the Thorntons?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 12:44:24 am by ZBridges »

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: February 04, 2021, 12:47:50 am »

District 9, Thornig, now, is where William and Emma are planning on going. Applegate farm is there, too.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: February 04, 2021, 12:51:09 am »

My vote then would be to see Thornig.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: February 04, 2021, 07:54:08 am »

Then let us go there it'll be like a big family vacation, but one where we might all die when it's over...   so that'll kind of shit on the mood a little.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: February 10, 2021, 01:16:00 am »

I cannot fly with my own wings over the land that I will die defending. The thought rankles worse than the heavy collars and bracelets chaining you to reality. Everything, especially after the energetic, pitched battles of the previous days, feels heavy beneath the suppression field. Your mood is no different. It weighs you down with half-repressed memories of your early life. It was only the pleading of the Ancestors that brought you to board the Hovercraft heading home.

The wings of air that the craft rides upon couldn't possibly match your speed, but you still make good time. It is a five-hour flight before you disembark in the center of Thornig, formerly Steelworks Number Nine, on a makeshift landing pad in an battle-worn plaza. The industrial juggernaut of a city that Nicole built upon the back of cheap labor and cheap resources is still marked from the civil war. Las-ruptures crater the walls and debris spills across the bombed streets. Straw and tarps cannot keep out the cold from the exposed innards of burnt-out buildings. Crusaders, tall and strong and grim in their greatcoats and gasmasks patrol – covered in dust. Coats marked with blood. Several bow in silence and fall in line as you make your way to meet with the Thorntons.

William and Emma both stand beneath the grey sky, in the cold breeze, waiting patiently for you to arrive. William dips a nod. Emma flashes a cold smile. With a glance from the twins, who’s electric blue eyes blaze, the Crusaders give a bow and leave the three of you alone.

“Welcome back.” Emma quips to you, indicating the city with her gloved hand, “I do hope Thornig is to your liking.”

“I didn’t think it was this bad.” You murmur, taking in the grim desolation.

“We haven’t had the resources to clean up after the civil war.” Emma shrugs, “Many districts have a similar story.”

You frown. Your gaze catches on thin, brittle, black spikes embedded in one of the pre-fabricated metal walls.

“Cephie?” You ask William, ticking your head to the spikes.

“Mopping up some fanatic, yeah.” William murmurs, then, aggressively, “Do you really need me to babysit you two brats? Or can I go now?”

Emma starts to speak, but William doesn’t wait, trying to leave with a mumbled, “Wonderful. [Cool.] Thank you.”
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 01:20:18 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: February 10, 2021, 04:42:23 am »

"Are you alright?  Do you want to be alone?"
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 381