00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 224068 times)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)
« Reply #5670 on: May 10, 2021, 01:27:53 am »

This game has been an amazing rollercoaster from beginning to end.  Thanks for putting up with us and sticking it out.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5671 on: May 10, 2021, 03:41:16 am »

It's well done and a real accomplishment that you should be proud of.  Don't sell yourself short.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5672 on: May 10, 2021, 08:06:52 am »

I've really enjoyed this game from beginning to end and am glad to see it get a proper ending.

Also I still think you could turn this into a book.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5673 on: June 02, 2021, 06:06:57 pm »

Ending: My Name is Human! Congratulations. This is one of three possible endings for this period of the game!

((Fun fact, this song is what inspired the game in the first place.))

So, with that final update to that reserved message, the game is finally, truly over! Yayyy! Thank you to everyone.

So, I have a couple of questions, just for my records.

Are you satisfied with the end?

What was your favorite part of the game, and why?

What part did you dislike, and why?

What are your views on the setting?

Would you be willing to play another game in the setting?

What part of the narrative did you like and dislike?

What part of the mechanics did you like and dislike?

Any other criticism, comments, or suggestions would also be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 06:16:52 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5674 on: June 03, 2021, 04:43:01 am »

I mean out of all the ways it could have ended I think we ended up with the best one. What were the other two endings?

All of it.

Nothing I can think of.

Not at all what I was expecting when I read the beginning.

Yes.

There wasn't any part in particular that I disliked.

What part of the mechanics did you like and dislike?
I didn't see any part to dislike it all seemed pretty straight forward to me.

Any other criticism, comments, or suggestions would also be greatly appreciated.
I have no criticism to give.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5675 on: June 03, 2021, 09:29:58 am »

The other two endings are Sol Reborn and Dark Empress. Of course, these paths were locked in during the last battle, and both endings were a failure of sorts. But Phoebe won fair and square, without relying on the godmodes provided.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5676 on: June 04, 2021, 02:32:31 am »

I am, though I found it surprising that Emma's attitude towards Phoebe changed so suddenly.  I'm also intrigued by the updated epilogue.

I enjoyed all of it, but I thought that the beginning was the most interesting, as that was when we had the least information while exploring a totally unfamiliar and alien world.  I do feel that the setting still has many interesting mysteries.

I actually felt that something was lost when Phoenix became more passive and our roles became less defined, but I do think that the suggestion game format generally doesn't lend itself well to roleplaying.

It's very interesting and well developed.  I like how we gained knowledge of it over time rather than an infodump at the beginning or something like that.

Most likely, depending on the specifics.

I liked the distinction between the players and the entity that actually carried out the suggestions (or chose not to) that developed over time.  Using the powers was difficult for me, as I am pretty ignorant of physics and chemistry, but I still enjoyed making the attempts.  I also like that the Holy City was destroyed, as I feel that players shouldn't receive results that they do not deserve.

Which part of the mechanics did you like and dislike?
I thought that the mechanics behind the powers were unique and interesting.  The mechanics related to non-combat skills may have been less well defined.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5677 on: June 04, 2021, 02:48:56 am »

The ending is fine.  It makes sense and it fits with the world.

I liked the early portions.  It liked the exploration and creativity.  It also felt a bit more tense.

I'm feel meeting mysterious contacts would have been better with a more formal relationship.. such as the end-of-act encounters.  Like inside dreams or when the MC is knocked out or horribly wounded or something.. it'd make it more clear what's going on, while confirming that the world we live in and play in is the important one.

I also don't like zalgo text and hidden cryptic statements.  It's already hidden by being cryptic, so why hide it twice?

Setting was good.. it was more solid and well developed than the norm.  About the only unbelievable thing was having a low-population frontier society being contemptous of large numbers of casulties.  Only part I didn't like was that it felt like there wasn't enough time to really explore it before we had to advance to the next stage.

I'd be willing to play another game in the setting, but I can't commit to it, having several games of my own running.

The overarching high level plot seemed quite interesting.  I didn't like how it was so mysterious, however.  I feel it would have been a bit more interesting if there was something else to go on early on, or if the MC was some kind of accident or unexpected situation which the higher powers would have to work with or around.

Mechanics seemed pretty lousy.  There wasn't much information on what our powers actually were, or what we could do or not do, particularly the latter.  Die rolls were of unknown size with unknown modifiers for unknown results.. that's just fine for random events or story-centric gameplay, but I can't call it solid mechanically.  Like it's perfectly fine for background random rolls, but if the mechanics are going to be central to the game, they should work in a somewhat consistant manner.

Overall, I feel like a lower power level would have been more enjoyable, with a bit more planning, but that's anathema to many players and will lead to a lot of people being unwilling or unable to decide things. so.. do what you're good at?  I'd also recommend giving people time to branch out or occasional decisions to make, while always trying to keep the north in mind, that is, the major goals of the current section or story arc.  I'd also want timeskips to be less abrupt, with maybe time for one or two quick events during the timeskip, to help flesh out character development and to allow players to do more long-term development goals.  Phoebe seemed to end up with an army of random characters with random abilities, using random tactics, for instance.. it would have been nice to help work on the army or the friendly character's ability to coordinate.  It also made perfect sense for there to be shortages and privation for the civilians with the war economy running, but there could have been the opportunity to ease one or two of them with effort.. that there was no real opportunity to do.

SystemsTestCanary

• Bay Watcher
  • watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5678 on: June 09, 2021, 03:00:53 pm »

I have created a Fandom wikia at mccreary.fandom.com and filled in a few details about Phoebe.
I think a wiki would be a good way to preserve the project and would be useful to new readers (there are a few!)
Otherwise, I will just fill up the wiki with crappy McCreary fanart made in MS Paint, and nobody wants that.
I am also considering creating a McCreary's Planet Discord server, if there is interest.
some end in flashes of Gold, some end in Blood, some, in Fire.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5679 on: June 10, 2021, 01:53:07 am »

That sounds cool.  Are you a reader?

SystemsTestCanary

• Bay Watcher
  • watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5680 on: June 10, 2021, 06:40:39 am »

That sounds cool.  Are you a reader?

Yes, though I started reading later on in the story and currently am trying to catch up from the beginning.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 12:58:47 pm by SystemsTestCanary »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #5681 on: June 10, 2021, 01:29:45 pm »

Oh! I meant to post my 'ancestral identity' as sent to me by Egar when everyone else did. I forgot to then, but in case anyone is curious:

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5682 on: June 20, 2021, 12:48:09 pm »

Sweet, a discord! And a fan Wikia. After this week I should be settling into my new position fairly well, and I intend to work on a few things.

SystemsTestCanary

• Bay Watcher
  • watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5683 on: June 23, 2021, 02:04:57 am »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #5684 on: September 13, 2021, 11:50:48 pm »

Y'all should go vote for McCreary's Planet in the Hall of Legends.

Sorry for necro(?).
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381