00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 224415 times)

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2020, 07:27:45 pm »

You rise from the stool with a huff. Hunching over, you wander out the door and into the warm mid-morning. The heat has evaporated away the evening rain, leaving a lingering humidity in the air. People wander by, sweating in the heat, but you do not. Instead, you realize you feel nothing, except for a light breeze on your exposed skin. Passing by a merchant's mirror, you take pause. He tries to sell it to you for a fraction of the supposed cost, but you ignore him, fixated as you are by your appearance.

You're a tall, lanky girl, with a shock of bright red hair. Its unevenly cut, a portion of it hanging down past your ears on your left side. The rest is trimmed up high, and the back is shaved to your head. You're pale, far paler than anybody else you see. Almost translucent, with visible veins. The other thing you notice is an androgynous face, were it not for your long hair and the curve of your body, you could be mistaken for a boy.

"If you're not going to buy it, then stop blocking it!" The merchant screeches, and you take your leave.

[19] As you walk away, somebody grabs the back of your coat. You twist out of their grip, swinging around to face them, squaring up, ready for a fight-- with an old man, who huffs and puffs heavily. He leans on a cane, his hands shaking. Nerves or ailment, you couldn't tell, as he looks frightened.

"Wait, please!" He begs, lifting a hand, "I'm not here to fight! I heard you're looking for work. I can provide a job. Please, come with me back to my shop! I can pay you well!"

What luck.

You nod, following him back without expression. He leads you to a run-down building off the main sqaure, something that was once a gun-shop, if the signage is to be believed. You enter the dustry main-room, taking in the machines and lathes as he hurries to take a seat, heaving a labored breath. The building is a mess, filled with scattered appliances and dirty clothes, half-finished guns gathering dust. A small reactor hums in the back, a display listing a very large number. Several pistol magazines are plugged into it.

"You, you know how to fight. I can tell!" He begins, staring at you over his glasses, "I need someone like you. You're not with a merchant caravan, either. No attachments. I need someone killed, and you're my last hope." He carefully draws a gun out from a safe, more of a masterpiece than a firearm, he sets it gingerly on the table in front of you. "This gun and [five credits] will be your pay."

"Who?" You query, mind performing the math. [Five credits] will provide you enough to live on for quite a while, a loaf of bread costing somewhere between .03 and .04. A night at the public house was [.2 credits] for the suite. Its a hefty sum, for a place like this.

"I want you to kill the son of the warlord."

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 07:34:01 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2020, 07:39:16 pm »

Well... that sounds like an incredibly dangerous request. 

Ask him for more information.  Specifically, why does he want him dead, what areas does he frequent, and what level of security would be expected.

This sounds like a bad idea.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2020, 07:51:20 pm »

You begin to ask questions, picking up the gun. He flinches, but begins to babble, answering your questions with painful honesty. He starts to cry.

"My Polly, my Pollyanna. He killed her. My dear daughter." He chokes, and whatever strength he has fails him as he cradles his face with shaking hands. "I paid three others. They died. He has a posse, his friends and brothers that he drinks with every night at the public house. They challenged him to a duel, and he shot them down in the main street. I don't care anymore if his father has me killed. I've no apprentices and have the shakes."

He shakes his head, lapsing into heavy sobs.

The gun is beautiful. Truly a masterpiece. The magazine holds twice the power that Doc Mitchell's did, and the coolant system looks like its been super-charged. Besides the technical skill that went into it, gold filigree in the shape of twisting [oak] leaves crown the handle, twisting into thorns on the barrel. ['For Polly'] is wrought in silver across it. It feels right at home in your hand. You try to extract the magazine, only to find it permanently attached. To help accommodate the sheer size of it. Five hundred shots before a recharge isn't too bad, however.

"I wanted him hung." He finally musters, "But I'll settle for him burning with her gun."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2020, 08:01:03 pm »

”It’s a deal. What does he look like? What does he sound like?”

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2020, 08:04:59 pm »

”It’s a deal. What does he look like? What does he sound like?”
There's also all sorts of different folk in the public house, You got a description for what the posse looks like?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2020, 08:25:33 pm »

Vertigo overcomes you, and in your mind's eye, you realize that this may end in your death and the death of many others. Brief flashes of futures uncertain.

This is for careful consideration by all involved.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2020, 08:30:30 pm »

I'm worried about the consequences.  A shootout in the public house could endanger innocents and directly lead to our death.  Plus, it would antagonize the local warlord, who probably has the resources to track us down.  Not to mention that this could jeopradize our chance to sign Nicole's contract.

Do the potential benefits really outweigh the dangers?  If so, how exactly?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2020, 08:33:35 pm »

I'm worried about the consequences.  A shootout in the public house could endanger innocents and directly lead to our death.  Plus, it would antagonize the local warlord, who probably has the resources to track us down.  Not to mention that this could jeopradize our chance to sign Nicole's contract.

Do the potential benefits really outweigh the dangers?  If so, how exactly?
Fair point, we will probably get money via the contract too

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2020, 08:36:04 pm »

We’re no where near ready for a task of this magnitude at the moment....
Maybe in time, when we’ve developed our skills more

I’m sorry about your daughter, but if this warlord killed three other people and didn’t suffer even one scratch, then I don’t think I’ll fare much better. I’ll think about this, though. You’ll get your revenge, in time.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2020, 08:53:54 pm »

I’m sorry about your daughter, but if this warlord killed three other people and didn’t suffer even one scratch, then I don’t think I’ll fare much better. I’ll think about this, though. You’ll get your revenge, in time.
+1

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2020, 08:58:27 pm »

+1
+1

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2020, 09:32:50 pm »

There's a chance we could eliminate him more discreetly, but I still think we should refrain at the moment.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2020, 10:00:05 pm »

"I’m sorry about your daughter, but if this warlord killed three other people and didn’t suffer even one scratch, then I don’t think I’ll fare much better. I’ll think about this, though. You’ll get your revenge, in time." You offer, setting the gun back down on the table. He dosn't take it, doesn't move.

Instead, he simply sobs into his hands, shaking his head back and forth. "Pl-please change your mind. I'll be here-- I'll be here if you do. I'll get someone else to try it tomorrow if you don't- don't come back."

With a final glance at the firearm, you turn and leave his shop, making your way to the factory.

The streets off of the main road are quiet, and you walk through them with a heavy weight on your shoulders. Your feet carry you where you want to go, and you arrive in the factory's main courtyard. Men and women bustle around, hauling parts, loading crates or feeding the ore into the hungry furnaces. Brother John is sweating buckets as he hunches over a machine, rummaging within soot-stained internals.

A man is walking through the courtyard with a clipboard, occasionally setting it down to help one of the workers, or to coach them on how to do something. It takes him a while to notice you, and you think. Your mind races through the information you've received about the assassination.

[19][1] Something clicks, and you begin to formulate plans within plans of combat, dueling, and ambushes. Your head begins to ache, however, and you snap yourself out of it by digging your fingernails into the palm of your hand before it can worsen.

"How can I help you?" The overseer states, arms crossing over his chest.

"Uh...I need a job." You mumble, awkwardly, glancing over the courtyard.

"Only one available is Loader. Ken threw out his back." The overseer stares at you and gestures you towards one of the loading docks, where crates of steel are being stacked. You follow, watching as he strains to lift one of these boxes up and on top of another. He gestures for you to follow suit.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2020, 10:03:34 pm »

attempt box lifting

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2020, 10:46:38 pm »

You reach down, lifting the box, expecting a high weight, and are shocked to find that it doesn't weigh much. Enough to have mass, but it doesn't make you strain. You set it on top of another.

The Overseer blinks and shakes his head. He reaches out to shake your hand, "I'm John."

"Pheobe."

"Pleasure to meet you. Get to work, the bell will whistle at the break, and I'll show you around." He leaves you without another word, picking up the clipboard. "Pay is [.1] credit per day. You did not start on time, so for you, it'll be [.075 credits.]"

« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 10:52:55 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 381