00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 221225 times)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act III: Sol's Reign
« Reply #5235 on: October 18, 2020, 02:19:12 pm »

We don't know, but we could probably look it up on the Empyreal Network.  It's possible that the relays on the Rim are less guarded than those in the core Empyreal areas.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5236 on: October 20, 2020, 03:34:32 am »

Spoiler: Fleet Cyberwarfare (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Relay Security (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Noble Security (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Datapad (click to show/hide)

You give one final stretch and one final glance to the datapad before heading out to your breakfast-y fate.

The dining hall is carved out of the same redwood as the rest of the lodge. Furs hang down from the rafters over ornate, abstract frescos that call to mind cave paintings. On one side, arches lead out to a courtyard garden, filled with mushrooms, drooping plants, and carefully maintained cypresses that one could call [bonsai]. A great table fills the center of the room. It is dressed in all manner of foods; steaming dumplings, juicy meats from fowl and fauna alike, chilled yogurts topped with fruits, and golden-grey Outlander rolls. Many Outlanders mill around, forming clumps and packs and discussing things as they eat, and your people are mixed within these groups -- but each of them stands close together. The Twins hover menacingly nearby their charges -- at their beck and call should any danger arise. Nicole, Rekhyt, and Samkrend all sit close by in one of the alcoves, murmuring as they lounge on qiviut pads.

You gather a plate of food, stacking it high. Doing so, you catch Emma's eye. She breaks away from her conversation and approaches you, stepping outside to a small freestanding structure. Rain pours down on the roof, giving you some privacy until Cephie arrives. The two of you converse in low Empyreal, to keep your conversation a secret from Outlander ears.

"Good morning, Pheonix." Emma states, picking at a roll and not meeting your gaze. "What did you want to discuss?"

"I want you to assign Geoyde and Armssmith to determine what we might need to begin safe interstellar trade." You calmly explain, and Emma gives a nod. "They are not allowed to use the network, but you can give them information that might be pertinent from it. Make the necessary redactions."

"Alright. We'll see if its possible."

"Next, I want you to assign Armssmith and Isela the task of securing more intel on the Plague, especially the scar of the Holy City and the new front. Get the pirates involved, if you have to. They seem to have high altitude crafts that could be of use in that regard."

"Anything else?" Emma states, after another nod.

"No. Thank you. Have a safe trip." And with your dismissal, Emma turns and leaves. You breathe out a sigh, releasing the tension in your shoulders as you wait for Cephie to approach you. The Crusader who's face she wears steps close, and takes a seat facing away from the arches. Her body doesn't change, but her face does, and Cephie smiles with sharp teeth from the Crusader's helmet. She picks up a dumpling and chews at it merrily, then uses a knife to stab at some meat on her plate. You return her smile and eat in comfortable silence for a time, until you decide to interrupt it to ask;

"How is it?"

"Pretty good. Food's good too." Cephie nods.

"Yeah." Quietly, you pick at your meal. "What's the best way to train my strength and speed? As an Ascended?"

"You would think the Elders would have told you that, by now, but we're basically the same as baseline. Train. Muscles get damaged. Repair themselves stronger over time to help us adapt to adverse environments. We could work out together, but I think I need to stick around Nicole for a while. Emma and one of the twins are leaving for the Holy Land, and Mellone, Nicole, and I are planning on continuing diplomacy with you."

"Yeah, stick around them for a bit. I need to take care of something." You pause, taking the silence to eat a piece of bread slathered in honey and melted butter. "Hey Ceph? Can I ask you something?"

"You just did, but you can ask another question."

[-]"What are your plans...if, and this may sound crazy, if I win against Magnus?" You ask, quietly.

Cephie doesn't speak for a while. She doesn't tense up or look upset. With a frown, she finally offers, "I'd probably have to return to the Core to continue working for his family. They may execute me for failure, but considering my family, that would be the best outcome."

Neither of you speak until you finish your meals. Cephie leaves without goodbye. Then, you're left alone to watch the rain patter against the hot springs.

"I intend to take a flight over the Outlands today. There's a task I must attend to." You explain, bluntly, to Rekhyt and Samkrend as the two lounge comfortably upon their padding. "To the north."

Samkrend rubs his bearded chin. "And you intend to fight Ripper soon, to prove your good faith to your marriage?"

"I do. But there is something I must attend to first."

Samkrend gestures to a bodyguard, who removes a patch of multi-colored cloth from his bag and presents it to you. "The clans will not bother you on this task."

You dip your head in a nod. Samkrend returns it politely. You step into the courtyard, freeing your willpower, and on the wings of Sol you rise into the sky. You suck the hydrogen from the water on your coat and in your hair, leaving you perfectly dry as you fly over the temperate rainforest of the far eastern Outlands. You clear your mind, feeling the stress ease away as you fly through the sky. Tiring of the rain, you rise as high as you can, past the clouds, and look out over a field of grey kissed by the mid-morning sun. Reorientating yourself with the planet's magnetic field, you continue your flight to the Arkship site all the while exulting in the freedom of the moment.

The site is tucked away into a great mesa -- kept hidden by sheer cliffs and perlious falls. You set down by the Crusader Hovercrafts, stifling your wings as you stride towards a great gatehouse framed by immense 'concrete' pillars. The three Crusaders on guard duty bow their heads as you approach, and the Pirate that lounges nearby gives a bored wave. Powered by a solar generator a dull system of lights illuminates the depths of the structure. You can see perfectly, however, you feel a tinge of concern for your troops. You descend into the hangar and stop short when the hallway ends in a great catwalk.

The Arkship isn't complete, that much is true, but despite that, the state of the ship still catches you off guard. It's composite hull is still polished, gleaming a steel grey in the dull lights of the drydock. [400] meters from nose to tail, and nearly [100] meters tall. It dwarfs the massive stockpiles of food and industrial supplies beneath it with its rounded, smooth bulk. It hangs suspended from great magnetic manipulation clamps, ready to be angled towards the sky to provide a last-ditch escape to six thousand lucky individuals -- chosen by lottery to increase genetic diversity among the surviving group, with one thousand of those individuals to be Crusaders with good military records and nothing but loyalty to SEED.

The only issue is the complete and utter lack of an engine. Where one should be there is only an incomplete patchwork of tubes and nozzles. You drum your fingers on a rail until a young Crusader approaches.

After some introductions that you forget, he leads you to a wide catwalk and you enter the ship. It was designed for easy loading of passengers, and as such you find yourself in the cryopod bay. A group of Crusader stands far away from the two 'coffins' they discovered. They stand uneasy, with rifles in hand and tense, squared shoulders. They do not speak when you approach or when you step pass the clump --

Two echoes radiate out from the coffins. The air smells of blood and pepper and pineapple. The back of your throat begins to sting, and you taste something metallic. Faint whispers of rage and pain echo out. Half-formed thoughts of revenge. Of anger. You come to stand between the two coffins, and, with gentle probing of your own willpower, you note the small-scale arithmetic of the two Ascended within. The instinctual command of a corpse, you think, caused by the degradation of the cryo-pods.

The Dust is building a protective cocoon. One of iron...and one of... You consult your datapad and wince -- glad your Crusaders are clad in gasmasks, ...Chlorine

[5][7]The instinctive arithmatic speeds up as you approach -- trying to protect the valuable Dust within from a threat.

Spoiler: Tasks (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Datapad (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers and Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ties (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Holdings (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 03:51:25 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5237 on: October 20, 2020, 05:11:17 am »

We should try to communicate with them somehow.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5238 on: October 20, 2020, 03:11:06 pm »

Are these captured "Demons?"  The hate and desire for revenge they project might mean that they would not be friendly.  If the arithmetic is speeding up, they may be about to attack us.  We should first make sure that they are not a threat to us or our Crusaders.

Send out our will to the Dust within the pods and try to somehow convey that we are not a threat.  If that doesn't stop the arithmetic, use our will to dominate the Dust to stop it from attacking us or resisting.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 03:32:31 pm by ZBridges »

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5239 on: October 20, 2020, 11:40:21 pm »

[10+6] vs [9+1,10+1] The Dust within the coffins coils about itself as you impose your willpower on it. No longer tensing against your presence, it reinforces its protective cocoon. The scents in the air fade with your domination but still linger. It radiates outward from the coffins like a miasma. The anger recedes and weakens. Submissive, for now.

[-]Greater divinity tempts with... You fight not to fall to the floor as vertigo overtakes you. Blood drips from your nose, and you wipe at it with a cuff -- and only then do you realize your wings have unfurled themselves. They burn white and hot and pure -- ...an Endless sin. Amaranth. Everlasting.

--and with that warning, your wings fade to their regular red-pocked, golden brilliance. You stifle the equation and they fade away -- but arithmetic remains. It gives you a numbing headache...and an odd hunger.

New Power unlocked: H̴̡̢̢͖̯̩̝̘͇͚̣͉͖̱̪̪̖͖̻͕͕̰̤̫͈͇̞̳̯̰̫̲̱̙̊͑̋̓́ͅų̸̢̹͚̫̯͓̻͚̗͊́́̓͛̀̊̐̽̿͂̓͋͛͂̽́̒̿̌͋͗̅̌̇͗̄̊̇̾̕͝͠͠n̵̡̧̛̛̻̰̬͚̱̤̮̻̖͚̩̖̻̳̞̿̂͊̈̍̐̏͑́͂͑̆̈̐̉̒̑̓̽͒͗͆̆͆̎̽̀̅̂̑͗̽͘͝͝͠g̶̛̺͕̬̳͈̪̤͍̗̞̐̌̃̅̏͗̒̆͂̈́͐͊̃̏̐̋͆́͊̈̔͂̆̈̇̈̈́͒̀̽͝͠ę̵̡̨̨̥̘̭̘̖̼͇̹͈̥̖̦̲̦͕̘̭̩͈͎͖̯̇̎̍̓̀̃̊̌̔̽̿̚͜͜͜͠͝r̵͈̘̝͔̜͌̆̌̚͝͝ ̴̺̻̲͈̫̩͍͓̦̝͐͂̏̾͒̈́͆̓͑́́́̔̎̇̋̈́͂̔̇̄̃͗̀͆̕͘̕͠ö̵̡̨̡̧̘̫̪̱̯̗̤̩̟̣̼́̄͋̾͌̿̈͂̐̆̋ͅf̷̊́̿̌͒͊͂̍͜ ̴̧̨̡̛̭̳͔͔̤͓̦̺̝͇̬̩̘̗͚̲̰̟͕͉̻̲̂͑̈́͑̓̋͆͋̍͊̾͌̚͝͝͝͝ṱ̶̢̡̢̧̛̛̗̮̥̬͈̙̙̖̯͐̓̒̍̄͊̑̃̉̈́̑̽͗͂̾̓͋̈́͗̋͛͂̀̏̉̑̉̄̾́̚̚͠͝ͅh̶̨̧̨̛̛̼͖̟͇̤͖̮̝͎̯͎͕̤̩͉̥̬̖̰̘̬̭̪͉̮͉̼̻̊͛̌̉̎̑̽̈́̓̅̂̈́̽̈́̂̂̃́̽̒̎̍͌̏͑̇̊́͘͘͜͝ͅͅę̴̡̧̩̥̣̹͍̩̮̤͎̖̙̟̼̠̩̤͕̬͙̌̓͂́͑͗̐̍̅̑̀̉̏̐̎̌̐̌̇̎̉̏͋̐͋͗͒̏́͊͂̈́̕͘͜͜͜͝͠ ̸̨̢̢̨̡̪̮̠͚̩͔̙̯̳͙̜͕͇̭̱̗̯̞̗̗̲͚͔͑̎̈̎̍̅͌͂̔̾̑͋́̽̍́̂̚͜͜͜ͅͅͅǦ̶̠̱͉͖̆̏̂̀̈́͋̈̌̔̀̊̃͗̔͐͗͐̒͆͌̃̈̀̃͆͌͝͝͝ͅh̷̢̢̧̨̧̢̢̝̫͖̦̝̲͖͈͉͈̙̰̹̮̤̙̙̖̬̯̅̎̔͆͑̀͘͜ų̶̜̪̬̗̖̤̱̥̤̰͕̯͉̦͕̼̻͈̫̞̼̟̯̗̰͎̲̰̦̳̘̗̣̞̬̓͛ļ̸̢̪̠̯͇̠̞̘̩̱̘̰̜͈̦̜̙̩̣͙͙̺̼̳̿̈̈̏̿̅͊̊̽̀̓̊͂̽͐͗͆͐̄̽͊̈́̔̇͘͝͝ͅ
̶̨͖͇͗̈́̌̂̅̄́̈́͊̓̈́̊̂̄̽͐̀̀̐̈́́͘

Spoiler: Powers and Skills (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 11:48:10 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5240 on: October 20, 2020, 11:54:59 pm »

We could take and consume the Dust, we could give it to another Ascended, or we could keep it to sell or try to revive the Ascended within, though I suspect they are dead.

I think we should eat the Dust.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 11:58:31 pm by ZBridges »

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5241 on: October 21, 2020, 12:01:44 am »

A quick check of the still-functioning vitals monitor on both cryo-coffins reveals that yes, these two Ascended are quite dead. No signs of life. The internment date is, for the Iron Ascended, sixty-nine years ago. The Chlorine Ascended's date of internment is eighty years ago.

The Dust is acting to protect itself in an autonomic manner. Considering the energy requirements it's probably cannibalizing the bodies to do so. They're probably degraded past resuscitation.

((One Vote for consuming the Dust. Three are required, but more players and readers can chime in! If you decide to consume it, there can be more line elders for those that want one of those! Pm me if interested. And if not -- I don't really mind either way!))
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 12:12:57 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5242 on: October 21, 2020, 02:05:30 am »

Is there any way to find out who these two were?

Also if it won't harm us I see no reason not to eat the dust.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5243 on: October 21, 2020, 02:13:58 am »

I would recommend keeping the dust in the cryo chambers for now, perhaps feed it a bit so it does not burn itself out like McCreary's almost did.  While controlling more elements directly could be great making 2 more ascended through uplifting or a clone could give you a much stronger force.  Of course then you would have equals not servants.  Maybe if you can find those who would share your long term goals.  Now what were your long term goals again?

Or if you want to consume them and seek the path of divinity and damnation you could.

I think I should clarify what Amaranth means.

You consumed McCleary's dust but that was a one off, not a conscious decision.  Choosing to do this yourself would mean other things...

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5244 on: October 21, 2020, 02:44:25 am »

...and so The Slayer of the Void and the Rimward King revealed the forms of Amaranthe.

The Death Child and the Twisted Wire. Both were 'demons' in the eyes of SEED... A quick search on your pad turns up no real information. There are apparently hundreds of Pirates, rebels, misfits and Spacers that match the description of these two, especially when all you have to go on is their assumed Line Element. ...they killed hundreds--maybe a thousand Crusaders between the two of them. But their remaining strength is weak. It suggests that both were probably still quite youthful in their Ascendency...

I...I still don't know what I want with my life...but...this could help us beat the Plague and Magnus...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 02:50:59 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5245 on: October 21, 2020, 02:50:56 am »

The staining of the soul is sometimes required in order to gain the necessary strength to defeat existential threats.  I still support consuming the Dust.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5246 on: October 27, 2020, 04:20:56 am »

As you stand between the coffins of two of your fellow Ascended in quiet contemplation, one of the Pirates approaches. About your age if you were mortal. Long black hair crowns an androgynous face. At first glance, you cannot determine their gender -- all flat lines and hints of femininity and masculinity. The steps they take are measured and even. Firm. Confident. Commanding.

"You look like you have a hard choice in front of you." Their voice doesn't help your determination of gender, but they speak with gentle authority. With a voice of reason and calm. "Whenever I had a hard choice, I flipped a coin."

They tug it from a pouch -- and it's a curious thing. One side is the dark greyish black of rusting patina, the other a bright gold. The two segments are merged together without a fault. One side reads [Ferdinand and Elisabeth, by the Grace of God], and depicts wolves and lions among four castles. The other side reads, [King and Queen of Castile, Leon, Aragon], and shows a yoke and quiver of arrows.  The Pirate smiles and continues to explain while you turn the coin over in your hand, "Pirate or Navy, was my choice. An old Spacer gave me this while I stood on the dock. Told me 'Whatever it may land on, dedicate yourself to it. No matter the cost.' The best advice I ever received."

"One or the other. I have to choose?" You question, quietly.

"Maybe. Some say that if you flip a coin enough times it lands on its edge." The Pirate laughs, a genuine, happy sound. "Good luck, Patches!"

You frown and look up from the coin -- only to find that no one stands near you. The Crusaders mill nearby, stoic and silent save for the hiss of their gas masks.

Do you flip the coin or decide to devour the Dust?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5247 on: October 27, 2020, 06:00:43 am »

Lets flip the coin and let fate decide.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5248 on: October 27, 2020, 02:13:31 pm »

Flip the coin.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5249 on: October 30, 2020, 02:29:02 am »

The coin flips.

It spins.

Upon the smooth metal floors of the Arkship, it lands on its edge.

...Around it, the future lays coiled. Timelines stretch into infinity from this point: cause and effect. Repercussions and consequences. Peril. Danger. Martyrdom and sin.

The gold side shows you lying upon the ground. Magnus the Younger stands above, staring down. A cutter blade burns through your chest. It's hilt in your breast. You choke on blood and grip the burning blade with your bare hands -- and you spit a wad of gore into Magnus' face.  The last thing you see is the infinite expanse of stars above. Your soul flies free.

The death of a matyr. A heroic death.

The side of lead shows something different. You sit in a vast and empty throne room. Barely lit. Dim, with high windows. No one stands beside you, but one kneels before you: a teenager with brown hair and sullen features. His face reminds only of old agonies. A dull ache that never entirely fades. He looks at you with anger, with suppressed rage and angst.

"Swear it, Moore Thornton."

"I swear it, Empress. You will die by my hand. For your crimes, you will die."

Or of a tyrant. A just death.

...you kneel on the floor, having fallen. The coin still stands on its edge, and you snatch it up. You scrub at the tears on your face and take deep ragged breaths to calm yourself.

The scent of blood, pineapple, and pepper hang heavy in the air.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 04:01:22 am by 19_EgarAlnis »
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 381