00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 224142 times)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act IV: The Crusaders of Holy Phoenix
« Reply #5280 on: November 10, 2020, 08:26:41 pm »

Hmm.  This is an odd, tense situation... but I can accept that. 

"Do you think that we could handle the inevitable corruption and obtaining of these technologies on the part of the Plague?  If so, we can look into it."

"Also, are you experiencing any difficulties with our allies and other government officials?  I know that there was some disagreement over the defense of that town, and Murdach said something rude about you in the most recent combat broadcast I saw."
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 11:26:54 pm by ZBridges »

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: November 11, 2020, 12:42:16 am »

It's funny. Your existance is not so fleeting as mine might be, but you worry about it. We exist in the future of the Line now. An instance, a copy of a copy, faded and smudged, changed by the personalities that instance interacts with. I was copied from Alphira. Alphira was a copy of...Alphias? Only those with the strongest personalities remain intact. More memories. More pain. More struggle.

I will remain. As you did. We must discuss, before we go further, how to develop our Line. I will not live long. That is...

"Pheobe?"

"Mother Pheonix." You insist, sharply, focusing on Isela with a flaring intensity.

[21+10 vs 2]She blinks, hesitating, but dips her head in a bow. "I apologize, Mother Pheonix. For my insubordination."

"I accept your apology. Do you think we could handle the inevitable of that technology by corruption by the Plague?"

"Failsafe protocols that I intend to develop." She answers, calmly, not meeting your gaze. Sweat beads on her skin. The room feels warm, but not unpleasant. A low, comforting heat against the snowy winds and harsh environment. Not enough to sweat.

"What difficulties are you experiencing with our allies and government officials? I saw some disagreement and Murdach said something disrespectful about you over the combat broadcasts."

"Murdach is actually a pleasure to work with. But he has a public image to maintain. He apologized in person to me during the briefing. His people are as independent as the Outlanders -- worse even. He has to keep them appeased to keep power." Isela states, giving you a glance from the corner of her eye. "And...yes. Which brings me to another point."

"Continue."

"If you're going to be building a new government -- give our soldiers a stronger say. Give me a stronger say. We're an imaginary line away from being devoured in our homes. Hundreds of soldiers die in each engagement. Entire squads disappear. We...we should be owed the say. More than the scholar that sits comfortably. More than the masses that enjoy the fruits of our blood." There's a fire in her eye, but she tamps it down after a furtive glance.

[10][11][15] You finally notice the oddity -- you realize you've been staring at Isela without blinking this entire time. No nods. No micrometer adjustment of facial muscle. Not only that -- you've been running a process to agitate the atoms in the air. Heating it to warm yourself subconsciously.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 12:48:07 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: November 11, 2020, 12:56:23 am »

This is a price that we willingly paid.  The loss of humanity.  I think it's freaking Isela out a bit, though.

"What did you have in mind?  I agree with you in principle, but could you please draft up a proposal?  As long as it's reasonable, I'll make sure it's implemented."
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 01:00:31 am by ZBridges »

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: November 11, 2020, 01:42:06 am »

"I already have." Removing them from her greatcoat, she sets two files down. The first is titled Crusader Benefits Package. The other is labeled, in high, high SEED script, that even you have trouble reading, [The Nightmare: A Psychological Evaluation of Plague on Combat Duty Crusaders]

You skim the latter.

"Eric...Eric gave me a report about what he sees. The stars go out. The world.....the world changes. Everything starts to look organic. He's been dealing with this since his first night on the front..." She pauses, "And the Crusaders as a whole have been dealing with this for nearly a thousand years. They didn't even tell me until Eric forced them to. Its a tradition, apparently. A secret."
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 01:51:08 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: November 11, 2020, 02:00:16 am »

It almost sounds like what Ascended sometimes experience... voices and personality changes.  Strange.

"This sounds like a serious problem.  I'll look into what our options are for better filtration.  There's a chance that Silas or his... partner might have some ideas.  How does this impact the combat readiness of our forces?"

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: November 11, 2020, 02:29:27 am »

"Only a little. The officers are clever enough to rotate out those with the worst symptoms or send them to the militias or garrison duty away from the front." She pauses, "Well, were. I assume they're doing the same now. They have clubs to talk about it. Faith meetings and such. There are... 'accidents' in the barracks sometimes..."

"Can I speak off record?"

"Yes."

"Eric...isn't doing well. I've been keeping an eye on him. He sleeps in his gas mask and a uniform. Rifle in hand...He never takes the mask off unless he's making a public appearance." Another pause, then, quieter, "And that's when he does sleep. Most nights he averages about five hours. He spends the rest in a gym or in the shooting range. The last time he got a full night's sleep was after his training with you."
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 02:31:23 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: November 11, 2020, 03:43:33 am »

"I hope we haven't pushed him too hard.  Can you ask him to take some time off?"
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 05:59:46 am by ZBridges »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: November 11, 2020, 06:42:33 am »

I doubt he's going to take any time off even if ordered to, maybe we should talk to him about it in person.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: November 11, 2020, 07:00:35 am »

Yeah, that would probably be more effective.  "Do you think it would help if I talked to him?"
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 05:59:32 am by ZBridges »

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: November 12, 2020, 11:49:59 pm »

[4]"Send for him." You state, plainly, then, calmly, "Get a squad ready. One with a [camera] crew."

"A what?"

"One of the Skarinites that can record [video]."

"Ye-yes Mother Pheonix. But what about the debrief?"

"I gave my account. Already." With a firm nod, you tick your head to the door. "Wait. Before you go. What will signing off on this document do?" You gesture to the Crusader Benefit Package. "Speak true."

[30 vs N/C] "A response to the apparent democratic republic you are forming. It grants military officers seniority over all civilian counterparts, as well as what amounts to immunity from civil litigation." The color drains from her face as she blurts out the information.

"Clever. It also, I'm assuming, provides the Crusaders with financial benefits after service, which might give them better chances of holding whatever local offices I may create. A coup with nothing but paper. I am still the supreme commander?"

"Yes." Isela winces, then swallows, not meeting your gaze.

"Impressive."

You make to sign the document.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: November 13, 2020, 12:04:12 am »

Hold on now.  I don't think some sort of military junta is the best way to govern the Holyland.

"What happens if I don't sign this paper?"

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: November 13, 2020, 12:11:27 am »

The Crusaders will be weakened. Morale will drop I assume. Civilian offices will hold more sway over the Crusaders. I am no longer the hand that feeds them. Our elected officials are.

"N-nothing, Mother Pheonix. It was nothing but a plan to strengthen our nation for prolonged warfare."

And what if those elected officials happen to be cultists, or disagree with my choices, Good Doctor? Tell me that no one on this planet would seek me and our plans harm.

After all -- what's one planet for the Empyre?

Do you seek conflict with my choice? With me?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: November 13, 2020, 12:23:44 am »

"I'm not sure that I believe you, but if you are going to take power, show me that you are strong.  Look me in the eyes, General."

Perhaps you could just make yourself supreme commander of the military, distinct from the elected offices?  That way you would always have an ace up your sleeve, the armed forces, should they prove necessary in dealing with hostile elected officials, and the army would still depend on you for resources.  It would only be something you would attempt during a seriously dire situation.

Alternatively, what if the military, not the civilian government, tries to stand in your way?  A weakened non-military branch may not have the power to respond appropriately.  This is why checks and balances are better (for you) than having one dominating branch.  If you lose the backing of all the people... perhaps you shouldn't be in charge.

I don't seek conflict with you, but would you rather oversee an enlightened, lasting state that values popular opinion, or one that ignores the will of the common people?  Remember that the Pontifex was planning such a revolution, ostensibly fueled by popular dissatisfaction.

But, yes, I won't stand in your way if you truly feel that this is the best direction for your people.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 06:57:08 am by ZBridges »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: November 13, 2020, 01:58:48 am »

Complete immunity to civil litigation seems excessive, and giving every common soldier command over the highest ranking civilian seems like a bad idea.

Maybe express that to her and see if there are work arounds?  As it is it seems untenable, not because the military shouldn't have strong positions but because it seems like it wouldn't work well.

As a suggestion set that high ranking officials be given rankings in the military, but in their own chain of command, to ensure their authority can not be usurped by common crusaders.  At times it will be needed to have non military officials in charge of parts of the government and this current set of laws completely destroys the civilian governmental apparatus as it is.

Civilians should be able to get redress in a military court for what would amount to civilian litigation.  It keeps control of such things under the military but allows for clearly unjust behavior to be redressed.

TO BE CLEAR THOUGH THE WORDS WRITTEN ON PAPER ARE ASH IN YOUR HANDS IF YOU WISH.  THESE ARE NOT YOUR EQUALS, YOU ARE THE STATE.  SIGN WHATEVER, WIN THE WAR THEN BURN IT ALL DOWN LATER AND BUILD WHAT YOU WANT.

Oh right, you could also make some of these time limited powers.  Say that as long as a state of holy war or whatever is in place they are active.  We are in a holy war now for example.  Then you can stand the powers down, with the military keeping benefit packages and whatnot, after the current threats are defeated.

Who declares if it is a state of holy war or not?  You of course.

Maybe it happens automatically after a period of time unless you renew them.  It keeps the military legally beholden to you to keep their power instead of beholden to you not burning them all alive.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 02:06:02 am by VoidSlayer »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: November 13, 2020, 09:22:43 am »

Have we considered stealing an existing government or military set up?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 381