00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 354 355 [356] 357 358 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 221265 times)

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act IV: The Goddess of War
« Reply #5325 on: December 02, 2020, 12:14:11 am »

"Leave me." You order, ticking your head to the outskirts of the city.

Eric and the Crusaders hesitate but follow your orders with a tight nod.

"Set up your camera on the hill overlooking the city. I want this broadcast to all with eyes to see."

The camera crew give a duck of their heads in silence.

You lift yourself back into the air on your bloody wings. The Plague is in disarray. There is no resistance to your slow flight into the center of the city. No shots to lance against your shield. No colossi to scream their defiance. Scattered across the plaza with red mold are the picked clean, rotting bones of the long dead. You fixate upon a skull -- a small skull. A child's skull.

[15][23][10] The only emotion that rises from within is rage. It burns hot. It burns bright. And it consumes you with its fire. You split apart at the seams. Atom by atom. All that remains of you is iron, fire, and toxic gas. You burn bright. You burn hot. You lose yourself in that rage.

[10[17][16] Runaway fusion reaction isn't a wild reaction. The catalysts and the hydrogen present around you determine how long it lasts. A clever Ascended could theoretically control it by forcing the reaction to burn heavier materials -- with this, one could keep the newborn sun under control. Theoretically.

You decide to test its practical value -- nanoseconds after your loss of 'cohesion' a ball begins to form just a micrometer above the plaza. You toss hydrogen and iron atoms into one another with wild abandon. Then the fledgling star starts to react on its own. It begins to devour the matter nearby, pulling it into its growing bulk while simultaneously trying to push it away.

You splatter your Dust across the plaza to establish a reference point. Its entire purpose is to keep that roiling ball of conflicting forces contained. You fly back to your encampment -- twisting a spear of iron from the corpses of your slain foes as you do. It is within this spear that you trap motes of your essence -- you come to a hill overlooking the city. You plan an equation, a complex trigger that will light the spark of fusion.

You furtively check to see if the camera crew is ready -- then rise upon wings of fire. With a twist of willpower and sinew you hurl the massive, curling spear into the city plaza. It doesn't need to find its mark. Its proximity alone is enough to trigger the reaction.

The stillborn twitching of your star purges without discrimination -- a sudden shockwave, followed by blinding light, then horrifying heat. Naught remains of the city-that-was but a glass crater. The rotten carcasses of ruined and infected buildings. The colossi you have slain. The abominations. Everything. All gone.

You lift yourself lazily, dropping into the center of your encampment. Crusaders scurry away in fear or drop to their knees in prayer.

[26][20[27] You reclaim your form after an hour of struggle. The grass around your feet is burnt, but you emerge from the fire in your 'mortal' form. A mask of iron twists itself around your face, hiding it as you step upon the smoldering, scorched earth. A Crusader-- Eric, rushes to your side and wraps you in a robe. You rest your hand on his shoulder, leaning into him --

You awaken later. Stormmont. Days have probably passed. Clothes are neatly pressed and waiting for you. Eric, the loyal Crusader, sits at your side. William and Emma -- their willpower is close enough to sense. But for now, you rest upon the sheets of white.
You lift your hand to look upon the pale flesh-- it is no longer tanned. Your mesmer must have reset. A frown quirks your lips beneath the iron mask. You look around, and your eyes alight upon a coin of rusted silver and bright gold -- it sits upon your bedside table. You pick it up.

[30] You melt it into slag. You encapsulate the atoms in hydrogen and send them sprawling away.

You shut your eyes -- and the coin sits perfectly formed within your hand. The bed still bares the marks of the molten metal. Fascinating.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers and Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ties (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Holdings (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 12:18:49 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5326 on: December 02, 2020, 12:38:15 am »

Who or what is guiding these manipulations?  Can you commune with the Ancestor that offered you the coin?

There are a couple things I'd like to bring up for your consideration.

1.  Based on the apparent silicon manipulation of the Plague, it's possible that McCreary's corpse was somehow recovered by our foe in order to create a Plague Lord.  Hopefully it's just a false alarm, but you might want to research Plague Lords to see what the signs are that indicate that one has been created.

2.  Your soldiers are exhausted and afflicted with Plague, and your generals grow mutinous, but your own strength in battle has never been greater.  It may be time for you to take a more active role on the battlefield.

3.  This coup attempt should never have made it anywhere near you.  Internal Affairs ought to have caught it, but I suspect that the ministry's effectiveness may be slipping without William at the helm.  I suggest that you contact William through whatever means necessary to get his advice on this pressing issue in order to prevent it from ever happening again.  You could also check in with him and see when he will be ready to return to his post.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5327 on: December 02, 2020, 06:26:47 am »

I don't think we have to worry about the coup as much now that we shown we can nuke a city.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5328 on: December 02, 2020, 05:03:37 pm »

I hope so, but I worry that people now will be inclined to usurp power behind our back without our knowledge.  We've got to have something in place to prevent this corruption.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5329 on: December 02, 2020, 10:24:17 pm »

((Can someone refresh me, what page describes the coup? Or how many updates ago?))

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5331 on: December 03, 2020, 06:39:57 am »

I agree that putting something in place to prevent corruption is important, but it could wait a little bit if needed because I don't think they'd try anything immediately since we discovered their attempt at a coup and we nuked that city, so they shouldn't try anything  for a bit.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5332 on: December 03, 2020, 06:41:25 am »

Hmm.  I suppose it isn't really urgent then, but it couldn't hurt to look into it when we have a spare moment.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5333 on: December 03, 2020, 09:42:48 am »

How tired are we? Do we think we can destroy a Nexus?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5334 on: December 03, 2020, 10:00:30 pm »

[11]
Spoiler: Plague Lord research (click to show/hide)

I feel fine. However, my soldiers might need more rest and 'decompression.' I could arrange for another squad if that is what you advise. Eric... You drag an appraising glance over to Eric. The man sleeps deeply -- clad in Crusader combat gear. A las-rifle lays on his shoulder, and a cutter hilt sits upon his lap. A datapad sits close by, and you take it up to do research. ...needs more rest.

When you finish, you set the datapad down loudly -- and Eric starts awake. He scans the room. His muscles tense beneath the bioplastic armor and kevlar greatcoat. When he looks over at you, seeing you upright, and, seemingly unharmed, he relaxes. He lifts his mask to scratch at a bit of scruff.

"Eric." You hold up the coin, "Do you see this?"

"Uh. Yes?" He's thoroughly confused.

"Describe it."

"A black and gold [talisman]? Like the Outlanders have."

"A circle of black and gold, inscribed with markings?"

"Yes?" He's still quite confused.

"Thank you."

"Ye-yes, Mother Pheonix."

"Catch it." You toss it to him.

He does as you order.

"Put it in your pocket. Keep it for a while."

He nods. You watch carefully as he stores it away and seals the pocket with a zipper. With that done, you begin to monitor the archaic and old processes that run deep within you to see if they access Willpower.

"William is close. Please fetch him to me." You order, brusquely, laying back down.

Eric ducks his head in a bow and rises. He slings the rifle over his shoulder and slips the hilt into its holster, then makes his exit.

When you open your eyes again, the coin sits upon your bedside table. You did not draw it to you consciously or unconsciously. There was no subtle manipulation of willpower you could sense -- and you could see Eric put it into his pocket. You knew there was weight to that pocket when he left...

"William refuses to see you. He will meet you in the hangar, however. Him and Emma."

You raise your brow in response. The effort is lost on Eric. You rise and dress without a glance or care given to the man. He, for his part, keeps his eyes on the far wall. Stoic. When fully dressed in your uniform, you hesitate.

Do you go to the hangar?

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers and Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ties (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Holdings (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 10:03:07 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5335 on: December 03, 2020, 10:07:06 pm »

I would say that we should.  Emma and William might be worried about what we have become...

I think we have seen a retreat and re-emergence of the Plague as described.  This may be why they were trying to negotiate a ceasefire, to prepare for renewed, furious hostilities of incredible strength.  The end may be near.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 01:09:15 am by ZBridges »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5336 on: December 04, 2020, 08:50:24 am »

Lets go to the hanger they've probably go something interesting going on.

And the thing with the plague probably means we need to double down on our nuking of their stuff to keep them from overtaking us.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5337 on: December 04, 2020, 09:29:26 am »

Yes go to the hangar, also tell Eric and our troops to get rest

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #5338 on: December 04, 2020, 02:25:26 pm »

Definitely looks like the signs of a Plague Lord's advent. If "planets are lost within weeks," the hour is upon us. We must not let a Lord arise.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5339 on: December 05, 2020, 06:02:19 am »

Hopefully we still have time to do something about it, and do we have a plan if we can't?
Pages: 1 ... 354 355 [356] 357 358 ... 381