Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Streams and Let's Play Suggestions  (Read 918 times)

HisDFGF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Streams and Let's Play Suggestions
« on: February 10, 2020, 06:12:50 pm »

I'm coming straight to the source of all things Dwarf Fortress, here!

I'm tired of watching streams and let's plays of people who don't really know much about the game.  I'm not knocking whats out there, exactly, but most of it seems to be geared towards people that don't play (or at least don't play it much).  I'm sure there's folks out there who like to watch people learn, but that's just not what I'm looking for.

Isn't there anybody putting this stuff out that has a decent grasp on the game?  I think it's really interesting to see different ways of laying out forts, various solutions to problems, trying new things, etc.  I enjoy watching people play because there's so many ways to approach this game, and sometimes I just get a hankering to watch some DF when I'm working on a long project at work.

Can anybody recommend a slightly more sophisticated stream or video series?

(Apologies if this has been asked before!  I tried to search for it, but I've come up empty.)

AliceRed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Streams and Let's Play Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 10:12:11 pm »

Kruggsmash knows enough about the game to focus each of his fortresses on a different sort of goal, but he's also a roleplayer so his playthroughs aren't for the type of watcher who wants more technical DF stuff. I personally love his content.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 12:45:13 am »

As far as Twitch streams go, I've been following this one here. Is by our very own MadMonkey, of "Losing is Fun" fame! :D
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 12:59:53 am »

For classic streams (like 2 hours long each) Nookrium has a decent understanding of the game. Not perfect, but also not staring at the screen asking why his dwarves are starving over and over. Plays Masterwork more than vanilla.YHe posts them on youtube and streams plenty of similar games. Not sure when - I just sometimes catch the archive from Youtube.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 02:05:35 am »

I'm not sure if Nookrium fits HisDFGF's "knows how to play" criteria. I mean he is fun to watch and he has quite a pleasant voice that won't distract you if you do other stuff while watching but he often makes mistakes due to carelessness. He used to play DF regualrly on specific days but he is now on a less strict schedule.

Quill18 plays DF every now and then and he is a competent enough player (in general, not only in DF) but his high energy style might be too distracting.

MarcusAureliousLP has made some very nice series on DF 0.42 but he has retired from youtube since about a year ago so don't expect any knew stuff. Of those three, I think he is the most knowledgeable about DF but he is also a roleplayer and sometimes his videos drag on.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

HisDFGF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 07:14:12 am »

I’ve seen Kruggsmash’s content around occasionally but I hadn’t checked it out yet.  I haven’t watched a “role player” kind of stream, but I’m interested! His videos seem to be put together well, and I appreciate that. 

I believe I have watched Nookrium play some time ago.  That was back when I hadn’t been playing DF very long. At this point I think I’m looking for something else.  He’s familiar with the game, at least. I don’t want to criticize what he’s doing, of course, because he puts together a good video.  Ulfarr probably said it best, though.  He certainly knows how to play (thankfully), but it’s not very sophisticated.  He’s probably busy with other games, given all the let’s plays he’s putting out!

I’ll try to keep an eye out for MadMonkey streams.  Does he stream on a schedule?  I’ll look at Quill18 too.  High energy isn’t a problem, haha!  I listen to all kinds of stuff while I work.  Thanks for the suggestions. :D

I’ve been watching CaptnDuck most recently.  He’s been putting out some streams in the past week.  I just saw one from a few hours ago.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 07:15:44 am by HisDFGF »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 07:28:26 am »

I believe I have watched Nookrium play some time ago.  That was back when I hadn’t been playing DF very long. At this point I think I’m looking for something else.  He’s familiar with the game, at least. I don’t want to criticize what he’s doing, of course, because he puts together a good video.  Ulfarr probably said it best, though.  He certainly knows how to play (thankfully), but it’s not very sophisticated.  He’s probably busy with other games, given all the let’s plays he’s putting out!

Pretty fair assessment, I'd say. He's fine - but yeah, not extremely proficient. The handful of other streams I've peeked in on have been insufferable.

If you watch Kruggsmash, and enjoy it. I'd recommend Toen (new name - Andreas something, before, I think) as well. His videos come with English subtitles - if you're the type to sit and watch, rather than put it on in the background.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 01:23:32 pm »

I’ll try to keep an eye out for MadMonkey streams.  Does he stream on a schedule?

Is every day or two, usually in the evenings (depending on your time zone). He usually puts up a link in Discord when he's going live.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext