Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 47

Author Topic: Sh 2 [SG] Week 14  (Read 38097 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sh 2 [SG] Week 10
« Reply #510 on: March 24, 2020, 06:36:36 am »

"I see.  I have not deceived you, but I am sorry for the damage.  Thank you for your help."

Engage in more magic self study.  Maybe look into augmenting or weakening the effects of runes.
+1 to the bolded action, but let;s say “I’m sorry, had I known how powerful they were,I would have told you ahead of time”
That dialogue is fine with me.  +1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sh 2 [SG] Week 10.2
« Reply #511 on: March 27, 2020, 04:05:56 am »

Self study this doesn't go well.  It's exam time, and the study rooms are just full of students, most of whom resent interlopers.. at least at the time when everyone's competing for resources.  You manage to get an hour or two of reading in, but you make no noticeable progress from the difficulty of the material and having to keep one eye open for people wanting to roust you.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 27, 2020, 08:26:53 am »

Maybe we should go look for some books on magic to buy so we can study them without fear of getting found out and fined.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 28, 2020, 01:38:28 am »

I like that, but we're a bit low on coin.  Would studying anatomy give us a bonus to combat?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 01:41:01 am by ZBridges »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 28, 2020, 01:54:36 am »

Not really, no.  Where to hit people to hurt them badly is covered in normal combat training.  Studying medicine might help more if you are trying something fancy, like poisoning or such, but combat covers things like pressure points and where best to stab people.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 28, 2020, 01:59:23 am »

Fair enough.  We're slowly improving in combat and magic, but not so much with connections.  Since we know the evil is related to fire magic, it might be useful to try to get a connection that can help us use and understand magic.

As a planning action, how could we go about networking with skillful and/or influential magic users?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 28, 2020, 03:42:05 am »

Fair enough.  We're slowly improving in combat and magic, but not so much with connections.  Since we know the evil is related to fire magic, it might be useful to try to get a connection that can help us use and understand magic.

As a planning action, how could we go about networking with skillful and/or influential magic users?
+1

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 28, 2020, 07:22:44 am »

+1
+1

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 02, 2020, 12:10:55 am »

There's a couple possible methods.  You could do the proverbially sneaking in the back door, where you basically find out about an event, dress appropriately, and schmooze your way in, where you'd get to spend a couple hours trying to make contacts and seeing who is about.

That is pretty random, however.  Another method would be to take it slow.  Read up on the publications, check who is holding down the important positions in the exam ministry, because there's always a few.  There are also those working professionally.. you can do some asking around and finding out who are the key people in the area, and then you can try to track them down and see if you can confront them.

You could also try commissioning or bribery, if you had a lot of money.  Easy enough to get most of the important magicians to work with you if you're able to fund their research.

Lastly, you could find something they want, something interesting, and try to feel out who might buy it.  Then you can see if you could parlay what you have to offer into a position or a number of in-person meetings.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sh 2 [SG] Week 11
« Reply #519 on: April 02, 2020, 12:28:06 am »

You have no dreams this week.

The weather is cloudy and mostly overcast.  Things are somewhat cool, but still dry with light breezes mostly coming along the shoreline rather than from inland or from out to sea.

There are a few large foreign ships in harbor this week, from the northern kingdom of Artolia.  You know they're famous for their fine machining and metalwork, but only a few other things about them, such as their soldiers are supposed to be well armed and very tough.  You don't know if they're just trading or there's something else going on.

Your training this week goes very well.  Your ankle heals up well enough, and you are finally good enough to get some serious sparring done rather than simply leaning grips and practicing falling and blocking.  You have a very productive week, and feel that you finally will be gaining proficiency above what you've already learned from your unarmed training.  You're not good enough to really win any fights with your instructor, but you feel you can't call yourself untrained.

By this time you have also properly learned how to care for your dao, and are now confident you can ensure its integrity through whatever trials you put it through from now on.

Unfortunately, your efforts through training have left you a bit tired.  You only have time for two actions this week.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 02, 2020, 12:35:02 am »

Maybe try some more magic self-studying, focusing on augmenting or weakening the effects of runes.

What does it mean to "feed" a melee weapon?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 03:35:02 am by ZBridges »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 02, 2020, 05:28:46 am »

Maybe try some more magic self-studying, focusing on augmenting or weakening the effects of runes.

What does it mean to "feed" a melee weapon?
+1 We have to feed our sword the blood of our enemies!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 10, 2020, 01:29:11 pm »

Hoping there will be fewer students due to it no longer being exam week, you try to study more about magic.

This week isn't too much better.  There are still exams to be written and such lots of students around, but the ending of the course cycle doesn't give you any chances to sit in classes, and all the student groups are about review and high-level stuff instead of the beginner's stuff you're trying to learn.

You do learn a few things, though not anything specifically applicable.  You learn that in order to channel a higher amount of energy, three basic changes are needed, not just one for 'more power'.  You need to alter it depending on what material is being used, what sort of energies are being channeled, and alter the bit that feeds it so it doesn't start going backwards.  And there might be other physical or practical limitations.

Also annoyingly, you're having trouble finding reference materials on the use of dust as a magical medium.  There's just so many things for you to look up on your own.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 10, 2020, 01:35:10 pm »

Hmm.  I suppose we do need to find a better method than self-study.

Execute the plan to make contact with higher level magic users, leveraging our connection to Zhang, if possible.  Specifically, look into professionals familiar with fire or dust magic.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 10, 2020, 01:38:01 pm »

Hmm.  I suppose we do need to find a better method than self-study.

Execute the plan to make contact with higher level magic users, leveraging our connection to Zhang, if possible.  Specifically, look into professionals familiar with fire or dust magic.
+1
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 47