Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rebellions, Nomads and Dynamic Civs  (Read 1022 times)

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rebellions, Nomads and Dynamic Civs
« on: February 10, 2020, 10:20:54 am »

Given that now Goblin civs spawn in the midst of worldgen, I was wondering if there is any plan to implement more dynamic civs in a way that reflects better actual history. Basically civilizations waxing and waning, being born and dying out as time progresses.

I think it would be interesting if new civs would be born mid worldgen by these events:

1) Random nomad groups exist and wander the world and sometimes settle in places, beginning a new civ.

2) Civ has a rebellion and some settlements defect to become an independent civ.

3) Civ loses contact with some of their settlement either because of geographical constraints or enemies controlling roads and the settlements after a while become independent

4) Civs actually breaking down because of internal or external conflicts and their settlements becoming seperate civs that pass through a period of war for consolidation and either take over the entirety of the older civ (in which case it revives the older Civ) or it takes it partially.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rebellions, Nomads and Dynamic Civs
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 04:39:37 pm »

Nomadic groups do exist, but they're currently just a type of bandit gang. These changes do sound good.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Nautilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 09:17:32 am »

It would be interesting to see large empires from and consume several other civs only to collapse into several independent kingdoms.

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 10:11:19 am »

It would be interesting to see large empires from and consume several other civs only to collapse into several independent kingdoms.

Yes! And it would also make thousand year old civs a lot more meaningful

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 02:50:28 pm »

Could this led to a separation between states and civilization, the first being public law institutions and the second englobing culture and knowledge? This way, we could simulate multicultural empires and splintered civilizations (see Ancien Greece).
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 02:51:27 pm »

Could this led to a separation between states and civilization, the first being public law institutions and the second englobing culture and knowledge? This way, we could simulate multicultural empires and splintered civilizations (see Ancien Greece).

That would be an interesting development

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 04:00:14 pm »

Yes! And it would also make thousand year old civs a lot more meaningful

Depending on the situation collapsing further into tribalism, barabrism or nomadic groups would also be cool.

All great ideas that I suspect are part of Toady's long term goals