Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bandit Fort & Fort Location Management (Mid - Endgame Content)  (Read 1608 times)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bandit Fort & Fort Location Management (Mid - Endgame Content)
« on: February 12, 2020, 12:54:20 pm »

Hello, this is a thread made to go together with 0010825: Cave joins fort where economic sites are out of hand, and frankly not very helpful in springing up their suprise barons when droves of goblins tack on their best troll-fur imitation beards and pretend to not intend to invade very soon.

So, what would we like forts (and all derived types) to do?

Forts, also known in the game as keeps, castles (and to suggest 'palaces' when owned by elves to their lofty nature) are large defensive structures that hold and protect your nobles like a walnut, often a place where powerful local lords are found and they keep their private armies & staff for their royal needs like the current representation of 47.xx is. For the player the suggestion thread is to make a fortress more than a defensible garrison, but a important asset for managing the numerous and often useless nobles that clog up the fortress, including long term residents & citizens becoming law givers and positions of importance with no executive power.

As a location managable site, seeing the name and information to manage, fortress members can be sent there to fufill private roles like fort-messenger (who relays informational updates back-and-forth), the royal chef, butler, councillor (acts as a diplomat and advisor) & the garrison captain (who's function is to offer strategic guidance, and  act as a personal military strategist for land-owners to co-ordinate their forces as well as implicitly lead siege defence with militia squads stationed there) and also recalled using the fortress messenger.

Since nobles cannot be expelled to join this site, per-fort up to 3 nobles (not excluding the dwarven monarch) can be willingly 'stored' to rule from the fort and give control over the sites entitled to them as vassals, bypassing the nessecity to conquer every site on the map to bring into your influence.
  • As mentioned a fort is highly defensible, allowing the restructure of site-defence modifiers to consider attacking small site and not densely populated market sites as low difficulty, compared to attacking a fortress directly.
  • Knocking out a fortress with its ruling nobles in it or it passing hands suddenly in response to death of a title holder will make you lose your control of the sites without a active occupation, occupations are lifted when a fort noble related to the site is present since they have a non-puppet ruler to oversee them
  • Foriegn civilizations may also wish to dispute the legitimacy why a law-giver of theirs is residing complicitly in your nation, or express unrest over the fact of being vassalized with a uprising army to attack the fort or site, and diplomatic proposals/war declarations on your vassal sites behalf will instead be sent to you with immediate fort-messenger dispatch.

Bandit Forts & Brigands

Generated by humans & goblins primarily but also any tokened race with [BANDITRY:<%> of population] and [LOCAL_BANDITRY] seperately, these aggressive criminals will settle near your fortress, creating a ominous message about brigands stalking travellers in the countryside. Attracted to your wealth and sending theives & small attacks, they do however serve a purpose in that destroying their encampment allows you to quickly aquire a new fortress holding all of your own conveniently close by.
  • Until they are dealt with, caravans without guards will not visit your site, less visitors & goods on those that do arrive will signify to the player that it is not to be ignored along with passing commentary by traders.
When bandit forts are defeated by your site militias sent off on raids to occupy or raze, the annulment of the 'civilization' will cause a diplomat to visit your site and prompt a meeting to agree that they will leave the site and never return (not to resettle another bandit fort immediately after). The player can elsewise agree that they don't care if they wish to continue fighting bandits, and they will re-settle back into the fort jeering dwarven foolishness until they are next routed to do it all over again.
  • As expected, bandits are very poorly trained and equipped, however they may have numbers with lots of surrounding banditry nations & a defensive bonus from the fort itself.
  • If your site game-overs & loses to bandits, they will control it from that point on as a base of operations with more capacity and loot surrounding settlements with a army of misfits until they are defeated and forced back into their fort by yourself or other world powers

Other places to obtain forts

- Conquering a enemy castle/fort (with difficulty :D)  makes them ready to use, though messengers & militia squads sent away at a distance will have to travel significantly further.

- If your civilization has [BUILDS_OUTDOOR_FORTIFICATIONS] 1 fort (according to site type) may be automatically allocated to be built when your own site ascends in rank to host a land-owner. Effectively giving you a ladder into the game of administrating your government from afar.

Thanks for reading

« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 01:05:43 pm by FantasticDorf »

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bandit Fort & Fort Location Management (Mid - Endgame Content)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 01:37:19 pm »

Good ideas for local administration.

I would even add a loyalty stat: fort leadership might want to get more autonomy, whether by reducing the player's ability to remove them from their posts or giving them more leeway to rule their forts and the associated territory. In extreme cases, we could see a feudal system or even secession.

As for bandits, their skills should depend from their origins: former soldiers from a destroyed empire should have more skills than former farmers.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bandit Fort & Fort Location Management (Mid - Endgame Content)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 12:17:19 pm »

It seems with my new buggy save, this thread keeps its relevancy since with my mentioned effective suggestion i do believe that soon as i topple the bandit fort for myself, ill be able to own both of these economic sites with all the people within them without a drop of blood being spilt (from them anyway, nobody cares about poking some holes in bandits).

I hadn't mentioned economic sites very much of at all, but if they came round by means of force or allowed themselves to let my baron they so 'eagerly' gave me the population to provide rule over them with less dissent over who's right it is, it'd be very welcome. It could be a effective early way to allow migration from other sites into your own fortress & keep these little defector sites close by.

I would even add a loyalty stat: fort leadership might want to get more autonomy, whether by reducing the player's ability to remove them from their posts or giving them more leeway to rule their forts and the associated territory. In extreme cases, we could see a feudal system or even secession.

As for bandits, their skills should depend from their origins: former soldiers from a destroyed empire should have more skills than former farmers.

I think you have good ideas on both counts, bandits could use the mercenary budgeting system and their personal experience for their own historical purposes & reasons (looting your fortress upping their wealth, bandit leaders walking around embellished in rings from their crimes) and the way in which we could interact with nobles, still being demanding from afar.

You can take the stroppy noble out of the Mountainhome, but not their demanding nature in entirety, least its temporarily someone else's problem unless they demand they want a new chef, or a quota of new soldiers from you directly.

Better yet, you could risk upsetting your economic linked or simply 'claimed' vassal sites by walking troops in like you would a normal raid, maybe demanding tribute or putting in a occupation riling the locals up, some loyalists joining you and others fighting against you until its resolved.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 12:27:10 pm by FantasticDorf »