Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can you make a quadruped's forelimbs double as hands?  (Read 971 times)

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can you make a quadruped's forelimbs double as hands?
« on: February 14, 2020, 02:49:06 pm »

So, I was experimenting with different body forms for adventurers, trying to come up with something to add into my game that was playable in adventure mode as an outsider.

When trying to generate a basic, playable dragon-type creature, who has needs like a sentient (for example, the eating habits a dwarf would have), but has the body form of a standard dragon (without the ability to breathe fire), I ran into the mentioned issue.

I realized I didn't know how to give him grasp-capable forelimbs, in which he could use, say, a sword or other bladed instrument (in this case to butcher for meat, when he got hungry).

Normally this would be silly, but like I said, I'm experimenting with different forms in order to come up with a final product that isn't as bizarre as a dragon who needs to butcher and eat like a dorf, using a bladed item (I have removed BONECARN from this being). I suppose I could give a minor edge to his claws, which would probably allow them to be used to butcher a corpse and retrieve edible food. Maybe leaving BONECARN would be better, but like I said, I wanted something that behaved like a dwarf, but had a very different body form, perhaps that of a dragon, in the case of the current experiment.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 02:52:26 pm by Walkaboutout »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Can you make a quadruped's forelimbs double as hands?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 03:04:38 pm »

Yes, gorillas do so by default.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 03:07:49 pm »

which would probably allow them to be used to butcher a corpse and retrieve edible food.

no

Maybe leaving BONECARN would be better

Doesn't do anything

I realized I didn't know how to give him grasp-capable forelimbs, in which he could use, say, a sword or other bladed instrument (in this case to butcher for meat, when he got hungry).

There's a body def with this exact thing you're looking for. Look in body_default.txt.
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Nero1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Terrible majestry
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 05:00:57 pm »

It's QUADRUPED_NECK_FRONT_GRASP if you want quads that can grab and interact with things with their front feet.

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 05:30:37 pm »

Much appreciated all, got it working :D