Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Atom Zombie Smasher  (Read 983 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Atom Zombie Smasher
« on: February 15, 2020, 10:57:10 pm »

Now, I've been playing this game for a long long time, but I just revisited it after a.... not that long hiatus, really, I tend to revisit this very often.

Basically, it's an utterly reduxed XCOM, if you like. To coffee break extremes. There's a zombie apocalypse, your goal is to rescue as many people as possible from the zombies. To help you with this you have a number of mercenary teams, which you have to use as well as you can.

Part of the challenge is that you don't actually choose (in the default gameplay that is) WHICH mercenaries you have on any given mission, as every turn you get a shuffle of which teams you can actually use and which teams are "away". So in a way it's also an excercise on how to deal with suboptimal situations: you won't always get the mercenary "dream team" you'd like. Sometimes you have to make do with the dregs, and simply survive to fight another day.

All in all I think you can sum the game, as I said before, as an extremely streamlined xcom, which DOES make it very suited for casual gaming during breaks, but it doesn't do the thing justice. Really, this game is brilliant. Maybe a better analogy would be to say it's the TETRIS of XCOM-likes. Sure, there are more complex games, and more flashy games, but there's a beauty to it's simplicity that makes it extremely addictive at the same time.

It has been around 9 years since Blendogames released this game, and 8 and a half since I got it from Humble. I don't think I ever stopped playing it. Really, this is worth your time. Give it a whirl. If these guys made a sequel to Atom Zombie Smasher I'd get it, or kickstart it, without hesitation.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Atom Zombie Smasher
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 11:55:20 am »

Man I haven't played this in so long, I should load it up again

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 03:18:45 pm »

Yes you should. This game is simply brilliant.

Really, I periodically end up writing something on those lines on Blendogames facebook or forum, every few years. I don't know how there isn't more demand, and I'd buy or kickstart a sequel without question.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 03:39:17 am »

Used to love this game when it first came out.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.