Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odd Realm: A DF-like you REALLY should check out  (Read 1679 times)

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
Odd Realm: A DF-like you REALLY should check out
« on: February 15, 2020, 01:30:47 pm »

It's on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/688060/Odd_Realm/
Seriously, this game seems to be a study what DF could be with a proper GUI and graphics. Unlike games like RimWorld and Prison Architect it also seems to be 3d (though still with 2d graphics, just like DF), i.e. you can dig down or build up. Seems really cool and IMO even Toady could benefit from checking it out to see how the GUI (and from what I can see, early game as well) could be improved before the Steam release.

Toady please check it out.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Odd Realm: A DF-like you REALLY should check out
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 01:37:42 pm »

ptw

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 11:19:43 am »

Apart from the graphics, what does it do better than DF?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 12:59:49 pm »

Currently not much, outside of maybe having a smoother UI (which is a separate issue from graphics, more or less), which still isn't quite super intuitive or whatever, either. There's some interesting things going on or intended to be implemented regarding individual critter progression and separate races, but I'm not sure I'd call it better, per se, especially if you include DF modding into the mix. Implementation's smoother than what you'd get modding DF, but better is probably stretching it. Game's still very much in development and somewhat content sparse (if less so than last year), too.

We have another thread for it somewhere around here. Game will probably be a neat, more contained, DF-like whenever it gets finished, but it still has a ways to go. Already pretty good for sinking some hours into, but direct DF comparisons are probably a bit too soon.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 01:50:13 pm »

ptw: the more df and df-likes creep into the mainstream, perhaps devs will see this and we'll get more creative df-likes to go with our df. and also, i like supporting indies who try and trying to capture df is a very ambitious project so this is going on the list
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 02:06:27 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 12:42:27 am »

I actually made a topic on this years ago. Good to see it's still going strong!

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 05:59:22 pm »

UI is the biggest thing that it does better than DF. I mean, I could even stomach ASCII in DF if it had proper UI (think old DOS programs that were GUI but not quite, like QBasic, edit, Turbo Pascal, Norton Commander, etc.) with mouse support.

Yes, UI is still a little bit jank, but let's be honest, it's hard to put complexity of DF into bunch of menus (but sure it helps for new comers until they learn shortcuts). I've mainly put it out there so Toady could check it out to get some ideas for the UI as (despite gameplay differences between DF and Odd Realm) it is very good attempt at simplifying complexity of a game like DF into a manageable UI.

Also, another thing to note is that it has a proper (and quite nice) tutorial, though for now I've stopped playing OR as playing multiple games that are too similar at the same time isn't a good idea, at least for me (you get your key combinations mixed up or try to use strats that make sense in one game but not much in the other).
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).