Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Layered Graphics Steam Version.  (Read 3413 times)

Fengo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Layered Graphics Steam Version.
« on: January 19, 2023, 11:14:52 pm »

Hello fellow dorf lovers.

So i am pretty new to the mod game, even though i have played DF for years (Mikemayday tile sets! I have looked and searched for probably 11 days now and i cant find the answers to my questions and anytime i ask i seem to get ignored on any other forum or discord.

So in the base game the weapon graphics are linked to an image as i understand it. Whenever you create materials you can apply a RGB value or a color token which designates a color of that material, then you can craft a weapon and in your stock pile it will be the color of the material token.

Is there not a way to use the creature layered files the same way? I have tried several different ways of calling things and token placement, even going as far as replacing the dwarf wearable and calling the weapon_graphics instead but it still wont take a color token, Is this just something in the hard code of the game thats not allowing it?

Just wondering if it would be possible and if not, could someone explain it to me, im an idiot so dont use big words.

Thank you.

GadgetPatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Layered Graphics Steam Version.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 05:29:29 pm »

I've been doing some v50 graphics work for a mod I'm working on. I don't think the engine currently allows recoloring of layer sprites. Which is a bummer, since it means A LOT of tedious sprite sheet work and redundant graphics definitions.

However, looking over some of the creature sprites, sprites like King Cobras that come in many colors in-game tend to have white coloration. Based on that, I'd guess it was a planned feature? The sprites being white implies that the artist was given some direction to make multi color animals white, to be easily recolorable programatically.

Sorry I can't be more help; I'm figuring this out as I go too!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 05:31:05 pm by GadgetPatch »