Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with graphic sets  (Read 3627 times)

Makset

• Escaped Lunatic
  • ☺ [ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ █ █ █ █ █ ]
    • View Profile
Help with graphic sets
« on: January 12, 2023, 10:01:12 pm »

Ok, first of all, hi, I'm new, I discover the game when I saw a video about retro videogames, and it showcased the drunk cat bug and I found it hilarious so I wanted to know which game featured that, so one thing lead to another and here we are.

I gotta be honest, I'm still trying to learn the game, they don't lie when they say it's hard. :P

So in the research process, I notice that people had their games differently looking than they should be, then the research continued making me find about the steam and classic editions, tilesets, mods, and raws, an entire thing on its own.

The thing is, that since the game isn't much of a teller with its current graphics I wanted to change them, and since some objects use the same char in the tileset, there is little room for customization, however, the creatures can have custom graphics from what I see, I tried changing the cat all the ways I could think of, the thing simply won't work. the error log file isn't helping either.

I think the major problem is consistency and lack of specificity, when attempting to get the thing working, many forums and wikis were outdated, and many others have different syntax, I don't even know what should I do, I wish they were some yt tutorials or something, I'm not a fan of staring at the wiki pretending that I know while the wiki is written like "yeah bro, easy stuff, you got this even though there are no examples. 8)"

I just got more questions than answers, like:
  • What should I do if I don't have a "raw" folder
  • Do premium and classic mods work the same way? or is this thing not working for that reason?
  • How do I know where is the issue in the raw file? is there a website or a program for that?
  • This feature is outdated or something?
  • Is this how should I set up this in the first place?
  • etc.

This is the raw file for the graphics of the cat, (or an attempt of) I hope someone could help me out, and not bring more questions than answers :( (I don't even know how to properly post a raw file here, so bear with me :P)

graphics_creature_domestic

[OBJECT:GRAPHICS]

[TILE_PAGE:CATIMG]
   [FILE:images/cat.png]
   [TILE_DIM:16:16]
   [PAGE_DIM_PIXELS:16:16]

[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:CAT]
   [DEFAULT:CATIMG:0:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

So, the file is inside the "graphics" folder inside the mod_name folder, which is inside "mods" inside the main game folder, as the tutorial mentioned where it should go.

And yeah, a folder named "images" with a poorly drawn cat png in its contents should go where the path establishes, but I don't think it's necessary to upload that (and not because I don't know how to  :-\).

Edit: I found that this board is meant for releases and not questions, yikes, sorry for that, but I don't know how to delete this post or if I should repost it on the general board or lock this one, any help would be appreciated. :D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 02:04:44 pm by Makset »

Makset

• Escaped Lunatic
  • ☺ [ ▬ ▬ ▬ ▬ █ █ █ █ █ ]
    • View Profile
Re: Help with graphic sets
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 03:03:01 am »

After some research and some brute forcing, I found out that first, the "raw" folder thing was something prior to 50.01, and in that update, the entire game structure got changed, after knowing that, I wanted to test out something, so I downloaded an user made graphic set and set it up on an older version, and voila, it worked! But that still doesn't explain why the same graphic set doesn't work in a modern build if the "mods" folder is like the spiritual successor of "raw" according to the info I gathered.

Later, I changed some tokens in my graphic set and weirdly enough it recognized the graphic and tile page ones, so that leave me wondering: "why is it not working if the game even recognizes graphic tokens? Is it just that v50 uses a different syntax or something?" ???

Then I just focus on brute forcing the values of the tokens just to find out that if the pixel width/height values are lower than the image it points, the game crashes, and if they are higher the "Midmap effective coordinate check out of bounds" message will appear on the error log, getting the values the correct way will do nothing.

So, it either crashes the game or simply does not work at all. (Ah, lovely :P)

Well, I'm again in a dead end, but the dilemma is: should I downgrade just to make a graphic set that won't work on modern builds? Or there is something that I'm missing?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 02:14:49 pm by Makset »

ClownyCobalt

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Honk honk!
    • View Profile
Re: Help with graphic sets
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 01:42:04 am »

Makset one thing I notice is that you're trying to do 16x16, when the current non-ascii mode uses only 32x32 sprites!
Also why not just edit the existing spritesheets in the vanilla folder? At least to start. You don't really need to focus on raws too much until you're ready to like, publish your mod as a separate thing from vanilla, at least imo!