Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.47.02 Released  (Read 65986 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.47.02 Released
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2020, 05:55:00 pm »

I've tried 2 forts with the new release so far but none of the organised religions gain any members.
I've tried dozens of forts in 47.xx. Usually get one temple request when 60+ citizens.

Feel free to adjust d_init.txt 's
[PRIESTHOOD_UNIT_COUNTS:8:22]  [TEMPLE_VALUE_LEVELS:1000:8000]
[GUILD_UNIT_COUNTS:8:22]  [GUILDHALL_VALUE_LEVELS:1500:8000]
to get a temple request sooner than 10-in-a-religion. Guess I'll reduce mine to 7 folk. Always farmers is the first guildhall, it seems.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2020, 09:29:48 pm »

I have an evil race who recently burst out of hell lead by a great monstrous tortoise demon.
A year after their emergence, they held a festival at which the story of "the selection of the tortoise demon to the position of master" of the civ was told. This happens surprisingly often.

I guess it's unintended, but brings up a nice image of this great gathering of hideous beings from another dimension voting politely on who should lead the next invasion of the world.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2020, 07:09:15 pm »

Is tactical combat working properly?
I'm fighting a couple of lions, one of my party has a bow, the other a sword. Sword guy is up front and attacking. Bow guy is hanging back.

I've had several turns with sword guy, doing the usual swipe and dodge routine.

Finally, it's bow guy's turn, he fires.

At which point, the lions all take several steps, charge and start chewing on my sword guy before he gets a chance to react.

Surely, the only person moving slowly is the guy with the bow, right? I should be able to control sword guy normally. Lions don't speed up just because one guy is slowly firing a bow.

Truncatedurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2020, 07:48:05 pm »

Man slowly fires bow while you're controlling him it appears the lion is speeding up but in reality the bow firing is extremely slow and sword guy is getting mauled to death by a 4 legged animal much faster than it while the game slows down calculating everything at once I'm guessing so it appears as if he is killed In a very short period

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2020, 08:16:16 pm »

Man slowly fires bow while you're controlling him it appears the lion is speeding up but in reality the bow firing is extremely slow and sword guy is getting mauled to death by a 4 legged animal much faster than it while the game slows down calculating everything at once I'm guessing so it appears as if he is killed In a very short period
The lion wasn't faster than me at all while I was hitting it and dodging. It was only when it swapped to the bow guy that they sped up.

Only happened the first time though. After that everything went as expected. Bow guy, sword guy several turns, bow guy.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2020, 08:43:50 am »

Bow guy having 5 agility and others having above average 70 agility?
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2020, 08:48:32 am »

Bow guy having 5 agility and others having above average 70 agility?
Bow guy was slow (as bows have always been in Adventurer). Other people in the party weren't. They ALL slowed down when bow guy shot, allowing lions free strike.
That's not expected behavior and indeed it fixed itself when bow guy finally got a chance to take a second shot, that time it just swapped to other party members as expected.
(Bow guy actually has the highest agility, I created him to be the bow guy of the party after all).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 08:51:01 am by Shonai_Dweller »

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2020, 09:40:26 am »

yeah, I've noticed the same thing, it's to the point where I am wondering if it doesn't make sense to have bow guys set to automatic control and only control the melee folks for now. (You can actually set who you control manually in tactics mode, but I forgot the key combo, and cannot check right now) I think the yelling orders bit is what is missing here to complete the full picture. Slow folks should just follow orders that are yelled at them once that system gets implemented.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2020, 09:54:03 am »

yeah, I've noticed the same thing, it's to the point where I am wondering if it doesn't make sense to have bow guys set to automatic control and only control the melee folks for now. (You can actually set who you control manually in tactics mode, but I forgot the key combo, and cannot check right now) I think the yelling orders bit is what is missing here to complete the full picture. Slow folks should just follow orders that are yelled at them once that system gets implemented.
Hmm. Yeah, that would solve it (it's in the companions overview menu I think). At least Adventurer AI bowmen don't charge in and try clubbing opponents like in fortress.

Still, tactical combat is what I want. It's fun and I want to be able to use all my party members. Will try to work out the exact conditions where it happens and when it doesn't, then post a report.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2020, 10:42:09 am »

Yeah, I too would prefer that the turnbased thingy checks if the melee fighter is ready to do some more whacking and just leaves the archer to do their shooty thing after shooty thing has been commanded. I imagine that magic which is generated with a long charge period would require such a thing as well.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2020, 07:40:50 pm »

Hello-Goodbye sieges are back (not sure they were ever truly away, but they certainly weren't very common in 44.12).

First I got the same one that Kruggsmash observed in his Villains video, a single undead lieutenant who quickly disappeared. Spooky, possible scout so perhaps no bug.

Next I got a regular "an army is invading" bunch of (non-tower) warriors appear at the edge of the map who then all disappeared. Legends describes it as a siege.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2020, 07:48:04 pm »

I got this pretty often in 44.12. Generally from goblins - I guess from something to do with their travelling scripts?

It does seem more common - possibly because of the increase in threats around the world.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2020, 08:38:30 pm »

Lots of fun reading through Legends in my retired fortresses now. All those suspicious looking visitors which turn out to be corrupting my dwarves.

Also, artifacts created in my fortress seem to have been claimed from afar by almost every bad guy in the world over the course of a couple of seasons.  :)

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2020, 08:10:30 am »

I got this pretty often in 44.12. Generally from goblins - I guess from something to do with their travelling scripts?

It does seem more common - possibly because of the increase in threats around the world.

Armies can also path through your site if its on a chokepoint, if you're hostile then they'll fight anyway but it seems like these units are just either scouts or people straying away from the army rejoining their forces. No 'warping' through your site.
  • A notable example from reddit a while back was where one player built a bridge that was on one end of a continent connected by a shared bay, as soon as they built the last block in the bridge for the connection, a gobin army immediately popped up with the intent to go through but thought approriate to stop and fight the fortress
So by all means more pro-active travelling routes like instant/non-actual transport harbors (discussed by toady at one time as a sort of fix for pre-boats) and mounted armies crossing water/via air (which the player can technically do now as long as the giant eagle or whatever doesnt become tired) for a entire army.
  • This also super-validates using map-editors to create a convenient mountain-pass to put your fort inside for fun as the frontline defence

Seperate in regards to you mentioning questers, something very odd is happening with them because they come from all around specifically because the player through the C screen already knows the location of every artifact in the world. I've had dwarves divulge the details around artifacts that are stored on other sites and civilizations, there's no nessecity for them to learn information through outsiders.

So there seems to be a similar information overload similar to engravings of things they would never know like corruptions with a common allegory of a god appearing in statues & engravings on that topic. I haven't made a issue report on that just yet but don't wait for me if you feel you want to make your own.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]