Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Worldgen preferences  (Read 2059 times)

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worldgen preferences
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2020, 05:23:13 pm »

I used to edit the raws to limit aquifers to the silty soils but I just tried my first "light aquifer" site and it is SOOOO much easier.  I made a simple 3x3 stairwell that cut right through 2 layers of aquifer and put the walls up without a single suspension.  At no point did water show up more than 1/7 deep and there were a total of 4 or 5 squares of those in the 5x5x2 block before the walls were up.  No pumps, no mess, no problem.  Just lost one layer of rock and 2 of soil, but there is lots of rock down there.  I suspect you might be able to even have fully usable rooms in the aquifer layer with some drainage.

I add a bunch of volcanos and increase the extremes of volcanism and savagery and about 10X the number of semi and mega beasts.  I also reduce the mesh sizes so it gets smaller biomes and more chance of getting coal and obsidian in a single embark and the like.  For caverns I do fairly open and 20-80 water, so no full water and no lifeless levels.

Oh and I commonly remove werebeasts.  They end up being too bad too early for me.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2020, 01:06:18 am »

I suspect you might be able to even have fully usable rooms in the aquifer layer with some drainage.

I can confirm, it's pretty easy to set up entire rooms within light aquifers. Just replace any natural walls with constructions and you're golden. :)
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2020, 01:13:28 am »

what is 'light aquifer'?  you mean not all aquifers gush water at a rate requiring a major pumpstack to overcome?  I can be below it in less than 4 months?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2020, 02:03:50 am »

what is 'light aquifer'?  you mean not all aquifers gush water at a rate requiring a major pumpstack to overcome?  I can be below it in less than 4 months?
Yes.

(Read 47.01 release notes for details, heavy aquifers, the old kind, are extremely rare right now, probably never have to think about them again unless you're looking for the challenge specifically.)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 02:05:29 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2020, 06:03:58 am »

I exclusively use advanced worldgen parameters, almost always a Small region that I tweak. Volcanism way up, increase number of volcanoes a bunch because I like embarking on them and I have yet to pull magma out to the surface the dwarfy way. Usually set up volcanism to extreme values only so I get less rejects due to number of volcanoes, and both more igneous and sedimentary layers. What else, only one pole, usually one partial ocean, increase semi- and megabeasts numbers.

Also... I usually remove the minimum amount of tiles settings to remove rejections. I fuss around a lot with world gen and spawning a "perfect" world and will take hours to create a worl. I guess this says a lot about my overly excessive standards. Usually increase savagery, try and mess around with caverns so the caves are less mazelike and more open expanses, set caverns to 1 only in an effort to remove z-levels, try my best to flatten the world so the magma isn't 100 z-levels away from the surface.

I've tried to reduce the amount of large regions affected by good/evil/savage surroundings because those do get tiresome, but to no avail. That being said I like having evil poles for some reason.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2020, 11:37:29 pm »

(I wish DF could randomly set a single temperature for the whole map, but the lowest resolution setting is to make each forest random and interpolate in between).
You should be able to; just set your temp variances to 0 and make your min and max temp whatever range you want your random number to be in.

I just tried this and it worked. Thanks!

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

Deus_Vult

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2020, 02:27:59 am »

try and mess around with caverns so the caves are less mazelike and more open expanses, set caverns to 1 only in an effort to remove z-levels, try my best to flatten the world so the magma isn't 100 z-levels away from the surface.

I've tried to reduce the amount of large regions affected by good/evil/savage surroundings because those do get tiresome, but to no avail. That being said I like having evil poles for some reason.
Did you notice that when you “flatten” the world, the dwarves stop breaching underworld during worldgn? On my many attempts, none of the worlds wirh lower z levels OR caverns than original has breached underworld. Then i generated standard world and there it was.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2020, 05:31:40 pm »

try and mess around with caverns so the caves are less mazelike and more open expanses, set caverns to 1 only in an effort to remove z-levels, try my best to flatten the world so the magma isn't 100 z-levels away from the surface.

Did you notice that when you “flatten” the world, the dwarves stop breaching underworld during worldgn? On my many attempts, none of the worlds wirh lower z levels OR caverns than original has breached underworld. Then i generated standard world and there it was.
I've got a potential explanation for the case when you reduce the number of caverns. Cavern reduction goes from the bottom, logically pushing cavern 3 into cavern 2, feature wise (such as e.g. availability of blood thorn and deep cavern creatures), and cavern 2 and 3 into cavern 1 if you've only got one cavern. Spires set to reach cavern 3 are NOT extended to cavern 2, nor are those set to reach cavern 2 extended to cavern 1 when the target cavern has been removed. When embarking such spires are missing completely, but in the abstract world gen case you still have the issue that you have to dig down to the magma sea to reach spires not set to reach the top cavern, and I wouldn't be surprised if worldgen dorfs haven't figured out how to deal with the magma sea.

Deus_Vult

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2020, 08:33:27 pm »

Another question - how long do you set your history to be? I prefer 1000+ year worlds, but is there any real difference between 200 year old world and 1000-year one? Except more events & presumably writings.
Also I've seen people complain about lack of gobbos. In my generations there is always 10000 goblins vs tiny group of humans, dwarves and elves.
Pages: 1 [2]