Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siralim Ultimate  (Read 1606 times)

MasterCyria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Siralim Ultimate
« on: May 06, 2020, 09:34:15 am »

Did a quick look on the forums, and was a bit surprised to see there wasn't a topic for Siralim Ultimate yet! I'm a huge fan of the series, as it reminds me a lot of Dragon Warrior Monsters, which my brother and I used to play a ton together when we were kids. The game is produced by an indie developer, and the series is absolutely fantastic if you're looking for a grinder RPG. Siralim Ultimate is the 4th game in the series, and currently has their Kickstarter up and is set for October release. I'm pretty stoked for all of the changes the new one is adding including QOL improvements, 300 new monsters, changing how monsters are summoned, and much more. The maps in the game are all procedurally generated, and the game releases in October.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zackbertok/siralim-ultimate-monster-catching-rpg

The game is described as:

Siralim Ultimate is a monster-catching, dungeon-crawling RPG with a ridiculous amount of depth. Summon over 1000 different creatures and battle your way through randomly generated dungeons to acquire resources, new creatures, and loot.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srmXDbAHRA4

Features at a glance:

• 1000+ creatures to collect
  • Fuse your creatures together - the offspring inherits its parents’ stats, traits, and even the way they look!
  • Randomly generated dungeons spanning 21 tilesets
  • Customize your castle with thousands of different decorations
  • Engage in strategic 6v6 battles
  • Craft Artifacts and Spell Gems for your creatures
  • Choose from one of 15 specializations for your character and earn perks that change the way your creatures fight in battle
  • Insane amount of post-story content that will keep you engaged for thousands of hours - there's not even a level cap!
  • An ever-changing world that is sure to keep the game feeling fresh even for the most devoted of players
  • Coming to Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Siralim Ultimate
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 12:11:54 pm »

Thanks for flagging the Kickstarter - I've had some good fun with Siralim 3, but hadn't been keeping an eye on Ultimate's development lately.

"Grinder RPG" is an apt description, but unlike many such RPGs it's designed to be a smooth-yet-deep experience. About developing an efficient team, with manual control being more of a thing in tougher battles (but always an option).

Unlike many monster gathering games the individual traits on each monster are often very powerful and can be strategy-defining, so there are lots of team-building options beyond 'that one looks neat'.

Siralim 3 has been on sale for pretty cheap prices frequently - indeed, it's currently on Steam for the budget price of $3.74 - so worth giving it a whirl. My main caveat is that it starts rather slow and can take some time to unlock features.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 03:21:19 pm »

I put a pile of time into Siralim 3 (travelling right as quarantine restrictions kicked in gives a lot of dead time...) and found it kind of... breakable. I ended up taking advantage of a few skills that ended up letting one of my guys solo stuff with the difficulty cranked way up, unless it happened to run into a hard counter to its mechanics.

My main problem with it is though is consistently awkward design decisions-- want to summon literally about 300 creatures for mass breeding to fill in the beastiary? Gotta navigate through the menus each time and deal with the flavor text. Same for the breeding itself. Grinding up the god favor? Either do it at low levels where it's fast but you get nothing else, or slog through it slowly at high levels while there's other productive stuff to do.

The pre-endgame works out fine... but once you're there trying to 100% stuff and pushing your creature(s) to their limits, it kind of turns into an annoying mess, I found.

Edit: ...And who on earth did KS's redesign? You basically have to mouseover the pledge panel to mousescroll it (okay, sure, there're narrow 'safe' strips, or the scroll bar itself, but...) and when you do mouseover a pledge, it colors the box so you can't read it. -_-
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 03:23:14 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 12:25:27 pm »

Hey I know one of the people contributing pixel art to this!

I've played Siralim 2 and 3 on mobile and sunk literally hundreds of hours into both. I really enjoy it as a mobile game, given that it has nearly infinite content, no microtransactions and doesn't require an Internet connection. I'm actually pretty excited about this one, since it seems like it's going to add a lot. The new monster designs they've previewed are really cool too... They're putting a lot of emphasis on different creatures in the same family all looking entirely unique instead of occasionally palette-swappy.

As it says in the Kickstarter, the game was going to be released regardless of whether or not the Kickstarter succeeded... it's just meant to help them expand it further. That said, I don't think they have to worry about it failing. :P  They hit their goal almost immediately, and sold out of their 5 $2500 tier slots within days. Then added 4 more and immediately sold out of them too. Good for them.

Might as well point out in case anyone understandably missed it, but they also recently released a Siralim CCG side game on Steam. I haven't tried it yet, but I love card-based games so I definitely plan to at some point.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 11:40:28 pm »

Bleh, I was almost hyped when I saw mention of a siralim card game. Never really liked the final fantasy minigame version of them, though :-\

But yeah, I'll probably be getting ultimate eventually. Got all the rest of them and they've been consistently enjoyable, so same but more is just... sure. Sounds good to me.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.