Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artificially boosting your civilization's territory  (Read 575 times)

nokzul

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Artificially boosting your civilization's territory
« on: February 19, 2020, 02:22:01 am »

I was wondering, can you just start a bunch of new forts for the same civilization, retire them at embark and let them run their course to make your civilization have a higher presence on the map? From what I understood retired forts are being played by the AI in the same world, so what would happen if you kept embarking and retiring for a dozen times? So far I made a 16x16 fort and it's still on the map after I retired (after realizing my PC can't handle a 16x16 fort), which got me thinking about this.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Artificially boosting your civilization's territory
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 03:08:24 am »

You can plaster the whole world in forts and they will stay there.
Except if other civs or beasts will destroy them - moreso if these forts are small and pushovers for others.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Artificially boosting your civilization's territory
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 03:20:51 am »

As SaD-82 said, you can. The question is why you'd want to do it, as it has little effect apart from the visual. Also note that migrants to the latest fortress are drawn from other fortresses, so if your civ is a low pop one, you may well end up just shifting what's more or less the same population between different (new) sites, although the expedition leaders/mayors never migrate (at least not if their fortress is still under their control).