Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: drinking so much blood :D  (Read 1533 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
drinking so much blood :D
« on: February 17, 2020, 12:31:46 pm »

So I had my first brief adventure. Started as a dwarf, in a fortress somewhere out in the cold. First problem: the instant I took a step outside, my water froze. And of course all possible sources were also frozen.

After a while I figured out that you can drink the blood of animals and quench your thirst that way. What is more, you can pick up the blood of dying animals and put it into your backpack. Soon, I was completely addicted to drinking blood.. ironically, I needed to drink much more blood than a vampire.

So is this intentional, or is there some other solution. Frankly I think it is weird that the game makes it so hard to drink ordinary water and so easy to drink blood..

1. Water freezes instantly and it is 100% impossible to melt snow in your hands and drink it. Blood never freezes.
2. You can only store a small amount of water, IF you have a waterskin. But you can just put a "blood" into your backpack, without any limits.
3. Don't try to drink water that is salty or stagnant. But the blood of random lobstrosities? No problem, 100% safe.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: drinking so much blood :D
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 12:35:45 pm »

You can light a fire with "g" and then melt the ice in your waterskin by "I"nteracting with it

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 12:41:10 pm »

Oh, that should help, thanks! Can you also use fire to obtain new water somehow?

From what I read about vampires, the biggest difference is that they need to drink far LESS blood than normal adventurers to sustain themselves.  :P

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 12:52:09 pm »

Oh, that should help, thanks! Can you also use fire to obtain new water somehow?

From what I read about vampires, the biggest difference is that they need to drink far LESS blood than normal adventurers to sustain themselves.  :P

You can fill your waterskin with snow and melt it as well

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 01:02:43 pm »

1. Water freezes instantly and it is 100% impossible to melt snow in your hands and drink it. Blood never freezes.
2. You can only store a small amount of water, IF you have a waterskin. But you can just put a "blood" into your backpack, without any limits.
3. Don't try to drink water that is salty or stagnant. But the blood of random lobstrosities? No problem, 100% safe.

- Blood very much can freeze-- as a matter of fact, it shares a freezing point with water! The stuff just tends to *start out* warm, since it's coming straight from the animal.

- Waterskins aren't the only thing you can "I"nteract with to fill-- any container can be filled in such fashion, and you can fill from any body of liquid or contaminant pool. A backpack can carry easily 40+ units of water, snow, blood, or whatever other fluid you fancy!

- Fair enough-- but rivers and streams are pretty much everywhere in warm climates, and snow's similarly common in cold climates. Both are perfectly safe sources of water, fit for slaking the thirst of an adventurer!

All this isn't to say blood's not a useful drinkable! It's wonderfully convenient, and I've used it many a time. Just, it's not by any means your only viable option.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 03:46:52 pm »

"lobstrosities."

Dark Tower?