Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noob Question about designing a new world with advanced parameters  (Read 793 times)

Kitanode

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hi,i'm looking for help on how to use the advanced parameters when designing  a world to play in.

I want to create an either a small or medium Island with a Volcano in the middle surrounded by mountains and valleys and this is surrounded by forests and plains etc.
Roughly like a kind of Numenor type island i.e. the island should be round or preferably oblong surrounded by a single ocean.
Can anyone guide me as to which parameters i should be changing?
Is there a link to a description of what each parameter changes?

edit: just after i posted this i remembered about the dwarf fortress wiki (its been a while since i last played) so i'm going to have a look at that but i'm still hoping maybe someone has already made something similar and can point me in the right direction.

edit2: ok i've roughly got the island shape sorted out with the mountains in the middle but i cant seem to get the volcano to appear in/near the middle of the island, it always seems to be in the sea far from the Island.
Is it possible to do this? is there any way i could maybe manually place it where i want it?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 07:58:11 pm by Kitanode »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noob Question about designing a new world with advanced parameters
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 02:41:17 am »

It's not possible to control where volcanoes appear with normal advanced world gen. If you use PSVs (Pre Set Values) defining the Volcanism of every tile in the world you could restrict the allowed locations to a few specific tiles (and they have to be at least as many as the minimum number of volcanoes).
I believe it's possible to only specify Volcanism and leave the other parameters unspecificed.

It is also possible to hack a volcano into a specific tile using the Region Manipulator tool http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164136.0.

Kitanode

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Noob Question about designing a new world with advanced parameters
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 06:29:08 pm »

thanks for the suggestions, i decided to try the PSV method and although i dont totally understand it yet, it has enabled me to get a volcano roughly in the middle of my island.
So thanks again and now it is time to embark.