Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Saga of the Puzzling Sea - Documented Game [On Hiatus]  (Read 11946 times)

PFunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Saga of the Puzzling Sea - Documented Game Updated Weekly
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2020, 03:58:51 pm »

These are great. I hope you keep posting these at a reasonable rate as its very engrossing. I was pleased by the animated gifs. I thought a purely screenshot presentation might get dull so that solves that. Great storytelling.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2020, 11:01:59 pm »

These are great. I hope you keep posting these at a reasonable rate as its very engrossing. I was pleased by the animated gifs. I thought a purely screenshot presentation might get dull so that solves that. Great storytelling.

I'm glad you like it!  :D I plan to release roughly 10-20 new slides every Monday (sometimes Sunday instead of Monday). I made a python script to help automate making GIFs from recorded movies with the CMV2GIF tool. I also have a python script to automatically format screenshots as I play.

@snowyscales: I do have a lot of elderly Dwarves. Somehow, I expected there to be a message when a dwarf dies of old age, since that's a miraculous achievement in Dwarf Fortress.

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2020, 12:44:10 am »

Can you see by bouncing around the relationship screen how old the dwarf in question was at death?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Broms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2020, 01:49:27 pm »

Great read, looking forward to the next installment.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2020, 04:31:10 pm »

Extra-large special Easter update!

Chapter 2

The fortress has it's first visit from a forgotten beast: A man made out of green glass!

Too bad the thing ran away into the darkness. I was hoping to have some !!fun!!.

I have a new problem though: The amazing and creative lengths which the Dwarves will go to to get killed by zombies they spot through a fortification. I can keep the undead out, easily enough, but how do I keep the Dwarves in? They're climbing over stone-block walls, which I thought were unclimbable, in their rush to fight the enemy get killed by zombies.

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2020, 05:03:57 pm »

Burrows. Set up a burrow over the entire fortress, and order your civilians by alert to stay inside that burrow at all times. I dunno if it'll help with the excessive military pathing or no, but should at least keep your civvies safe.

klonk
Sigtext

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2020, 09:22:01 pm »

Hahaha, shame my dwarf had to leave the fort. Was hoping for an epic last stand. Sacrificing herself for her friends and family instead she fled like a coward. I hope for her return. Hopefully a bit wiser.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2020, 04:28:23 am »

Update time!

Chapter 2

Something miraculous happened! The forest un-died! It's green again! I've never had a biome change before. Any ideas on what might have happened to cause the change?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 06:41:54 am by DrCyano »

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2020, 03:43:13 pm »

Another Monday update!

Chapter 2

This time, a werebeast sneaks into the fortress. I thought this was the end, but it turns out DOORS ARE O.P.! Every Dwarf Fortress needs more doors!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, Elf trade caravans have the worst timing.

edit: added screenshot
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 02:35:29 pm by DrCyano »

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2020, 02:32:25 pm »

Another Monday, another update!

Chapter 2

Magma! Finally, Westside the Bridge of Hope has become a real Dwarf fortress!

However, I learn that when it comes to magma, you can tempt fate once...
...but not twice...
...ouch!

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2020, 04:01:08 pm »

Another update. Happy Mother's Day, everyone!

Chapter 2

In this update, it's the super-fast Forlorn undead vs the Trap Hall:
Man, they are fast!

I have a new issue, though. I'm noticing that while I have my squads stationed with "move to" orders elsewhere in the fortress, they start abandoning their post one-at-a-time to run up the Trap Hall towards the enemy. It's as if they can hear the siren's call of certain death and can only resist it for so long before their nerves snaps and they are compelled to rush towards death.

This is bad for a couple reasons. First, by abandoning their post and running to the enemy one-at-a-time, it guarantees they'll die, whereas if they had all rushed together they might survive. Second, they're leaving the civilians unprotected, and third, they're getting crushed by the drawbridge traps so it is a completely futile pointless death.

Any tips on how to keep a squad ready for action, and not run away one-at-a-time to the enemy forces?

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2020, 05:50:35 am »

It Monday! Update time!

Chapter 2

After the Forlorn take care of themselves, I start playing with minecarts. The Dwarf "Snowy Scales" is the first to ride the rails!

Still looking for advice on how to keep stationed military Dwarves from wandering off to get killed by invaders.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 04:33:28 am by DrCyano »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2020, 01:14:18 pm »

That's gonna be amazing to ride in Adventure Mode.  :D

klonk
Sigtext

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2020, 04:54:03 am »

Another update!

Chapter 2

I'm really starting to have problems with the habit of military Dwarves abandoning their station one-by-one to go seek out the enemy.

I'm going to write an official complaint to my Dwarves:

To Urist McBrave,

When I tell your squad to station in the main hall, stay there! What's going on in that tiny Dorf brain of yours? How do you even know there are goblins in the trap hall? Why do you think you can take them on by yourself? How can I convince you to gear-up for battle and wait for the enemy to come to you instead of running off on your own? And if you are going to abandon your post to fight the enemy, how about doing so together, as a squad? Then you'd at least have a 10% chance of slaying the enemy (before you all get squashed by the drawbridge trap you're fighting them under).

Yours truly,
-Overseer

P.S. Please give your name to the stonecrafters on your way so they can have your tombstone ready.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2020, 06:15:20 am »

Update time!

Chapter 2

More fun with minecarts!

Also, I encounter a funny new problem: Children playing in the garbage dump, holding the door open to let out the miasma:
Yuck! Damn kids!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4