Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Saga of the Puzzling Sea - Documented Game [On Hiatus]  (Read 11891 times)

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: Saga of the Puzzling Sea - Documented Game Updated Weekly
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2020, 04:16:53 pm »

It's Monday in Australia. Time for another update!

Chapter 2 (slides 208-221)

I've dug a bit deeper into the lore of this world, and found some interesting stuff. I knew the Permanent Quakes were ruled by a goblin crime lord, but when I was first reading the legends, I somehow had missed the fact the Permanent Quakes had dug too deep and unleashed the very same goblin that now rules them. Also, I love their demon, Ithru the devill-roo:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Speaking of which, the devil-roo was slain by a Dwarf Mercenary from another far away continent. Any ideas how mercenaries travel during worldgen? This one come from the opposite side of the world as a hired sword in the fight against the devil-roo.

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2020, 06:16:29 am »

It's Monday again in Australia. Update time!

Chapter 2 (slides 222-244)

There's a strange occurrence: An undead identified as 'friendly' who appeared unnanounced. He's not making any moves towards the fortress; just sitting in the corner of the map. He attacks hostile wildlife and enemies, but otherwise just stands there.

I wonder what his story is?

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

snowyscales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2020, 03:41:39 pm »

i'm finally catching up with the story and i just.

could i get a screenshot of dwarf Snowy Scales "thoughts and preferences" screen, am i married, do i have kids?

...does the battle bear i trained follow me about or is it set to an animal zone?

also, wow, i want to congratulate goblin Kopoh Combinestops... a literal Crime Queen. nice.

and "friendly" Forlorn Slayer? sure. suuuuuuurrrreeeeeee. i see you spy.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2020, 05:28:35 pm »

New update! And it's a big one: Chapter 2 (slides 245-274)

Westside the Bridge of Hope has reached the end of the map! That means the bridge itself is half-way done!

I conducted a !!SCIENCE!! experiment, and sadly, it is not possible to fling a Dwarf off the map into unknown space.

could i get a screenshot of dwarf Snowy Scales "thoughts and preferences" screen, am i married, do i have kids?

...does the battle bear i trained follow me about or is it set to an animal zone?

Sure, here's your Dorf's description and relationships:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As for the bear, it just follows Snowy Scales around. Or it did, until I discovered the fun way why that wasn't such a good idea (see slide #253)...

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2020, 05:29:16 am »

Update time!

We finally reach the end of Chapter 2 and begin Chapter 3!

Farewell, Westside the Bridge of Hope. Enter, the Dwarf Aeronautical Minecart Program (DAMP). How far will the first DAMP minecartonaught fly?

You can download the post-chapter 2 version of the world here: Puzzling Seas: 455-03-21. Dare you try to become a DAMP minecartonaught yourself?

When the time comes, what special features should I employ in Eastside the Bridge of Hope?

« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 05:32:02 am by DrCyano »

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2020, 01:49:18 am »

Another update!

Chapter 3

Meet Dumed Chantstaves, our first minecartonaut of the Dwarf Aeronautical Minecart Program (DAMP)!

DAMP prides itself in selecting only the finest most expendable recruits to boldly go where no Dwarf has gone before.

Any bets on Dumed's fate?

snowyscales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2020, 02:23:32 am »

oh, pity about the bear...

and i expect Dumad to run over at least one more animal or person, probably a child
...and Dumad's probably death by drowning as optimal minecart velocity is rendered insufficient by the interuptions and he is dumped too far away from the shore, thus having too far to swim he becomes exhausted and drowns

but i hope i'm just being pessimistic

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2020, 12:20:33 pm »

Well, if Dumad fails, the next one will know to bring flotation devices...
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2020, 01:00:12 am »

oh, pity about the bear...

and i expect Dumad to run over at least one more animal or person, probably a child
...and Dumad's probably death by drowning as optimal minecart velocity is rendered insufficient by the interuptions and he is dumped too far away from the shore, thus having too far to swim he becomes exhausted and drowns

but i hope i'm just being pessimistic

I'd say that's a pretty good prediction. This is Dwarf Fortress, after all  ;D .

Is it normal for retired forts to fill up with merchants and their donkeys in adventure mode? This seems excessive. There's an elf or human every 20 tiles on the bridge.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2020, 04:31:43 am »

There's an elf or human every 20 tiles on the bridge.
It seems the dwarves are not the only ones keen on leaving the continent...

Edit: Meaning, it seems DF has yet again served up "strange" behaviour that makes total sense storywise.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 04:38:16 am by applet »
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2020, 01:25:10 am »

Monday in Australia. Update time!

Chapter 3 (slides 21-30)

Ouch! Poor Dumed! Also, poor donkey!

Snowyscales, you were right in predicting Dumed would drown, but wrong about it being from insufficient speed. The problem here I think was too much speed (plus a donkey).

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2020, 09:36:16 pm »

Just finished reading.  First, I think I've learned a thing or two about minecarts.

Second and more pressing, that was great narration for the DAMP misadventures.  Fantastic.  I'm delighted by the general attitude and the specific incidents.  By which I mean when one object is incidental upon another.  (Also, there's something about occasional elf merchants petting beasts of burden while you're drowning that just speaks to me.)

Is there any way to turn off the perpetual motion pumps for safety?  Or would that ruin the whole point of the tracks?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2020, 10:18:33 pm »

DrCyano, props for this - this is very well-written, and I especially like how you've made it approachable for new players (key bindings, explanations, and gifs). Truly, this is a finely crafted game.

Excited to see the DAMP recruits pull this mission off.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 01:35:21 am by delphonso »

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2020, 09:13:06 pm »

I'm terribly sorry for missing last week's update. I had some other time commitments and didn't get a chance to post last weekend.

New update: Chapter 3 (slides 31-41)

DAMP recruit #2, Kogan Gorgecastle, was making good progress, until I accidentally selected "push and ride minecart North" instead of "push and ride minecart East". Still, he made it almost to the end of the bridge. Do you think he can swim the rest of the distance?

Is there any way to turn off the perpetual motion pumps for safety?  Or would that ruin the whole point of the tracks?

Turning it off means no acceleration, so it would defeat the point. The second one broke somehow. I have no idea why.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 09:18:53 pm by DrCyano »

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2020, 03:37:32 am »

Monday in Oz. Time for an update: Chapter 3 (slides 42-49)

DAMP recruit Kogan made it! He swam all the way to dry land across the sea!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4