Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Saga of the Puzzling Sea - Documented Game [On Hiatus]  (Read 11784 times)

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Saga of the Puzzling Sea - Documented Game [On Hiatus]
« on: February 19, 2020, 11:34:29 pm »

Greetings bearded ones!  :)

I'm playing the new version of Dwarf Fortress (version 0.47.xx) and I'll document my play-through. I'm using Google slides and I'll be adding a few new slides every week (Mondays, typically). I have a series of goals for this world, and for each goal, I will visit a location in adventure mode before building a fortress there. This means building several bridge forts and/or cavern entrance forts to cross over (or under) the ocean tiles between the islands.

(I'm no longer updating this series, but I've made the save game available for download. If a successor wants to take-over, I'm happy to help pass the baton.)

Saga of the Puzzling Sea:
Chapter 0: Prolog
Chapter 1: A Peasant’s Quest
Chapter 2: The Bridge of hope
Chapter 3: The DAMP Minecartonauts
Chapter 4: Eastside the Bridge of Hope
Continue the story: PuzzlingSeas_456-01-13.zip

Map:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Params:

The story begins on the south-west island, called the Basic Continent, where the Dwarf and Human kingdoms are run by goblin criminals and all four civilizations there cower before the looming undead army of the mad Dwarf scientist necromancer: Geshud Amazebasements.

Goals
  • Survey potential bridge-fort sites in the Basic Continent in Adventure Mode
  • Build a bridge-fort to connect the Basic Continent to the Continent of Spinning
  • Adventure into the Continent of Spinning to find a site to found an uncorrupted Dwarf Fortress
  • ?

Notable Dwarves:
Snowy Scales:
Lucky Owl:
Superdorf:

Downloads
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 06:54:06 pm by DrCyano »

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: Saga of the Puzzling Sea - Documented Game Updated Weekly
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 04:45:19 pm »

I've chosen Mondays to be my update day (Australian time, it's still Sunday in the Americas). I have some new slides added to chapter 1. Enter Kulet Galleyportals, an ambitious peasant Dwarf traveling solo across the island! Surely his eagerness will make-up for his complete lack of combat experience.

I have a question for the Dwarf Fortress community: When Kulet completes his mission and it's time to build the bridge fort, what should be it's primary defense against invaders?
  • An impenetrable wall
  • High-speed minecarts
  • Hall of atom-smashers (aka falling drawbridge trap)
  • Drowning trap
  • Marksdwarves and ballistas
  • Weapon traps surrounded by a deep pit

« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 04:48:59 pm by DrCyano »

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 05:58:04 pm »

Oh, I like what you're selling! I'll definitely be watching this as it evolve. This will be great! :D

I've chosen Mondays to be my update day (Australian time, it's still Sunday in the Americas). I have some new slides added to chapter 1. Enter Kulet Galleyportals, an ambitious peasant Dwarf traveling solo across the island! Surely his eagerness will make-up for his complete lack of combat experience.

I have a question for the Dwarf Fortress community: When Kulet completes his mission and it's time to build the bridge fort, what should be it's primary defense against invaders?
  • An impenetrable wall
  • High-speed minecarts
  • Hall of atom-smashers (aka falling drawbridge trap)
  • Drowning trap
  • Marksdwarves and ballistas
  • Weapon traps surrounded by a deep pit

High-speed minecarts, because it's very effective when dealing with the undead. They won't be getting back up again after being horribly mangled by a minecart that's for sure!

snowyscales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 09:44:08 am »

i'd say bridges myself, just to stick with the theme of the Bridge Fort, but minecarts sounds like fun.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 05:01:22 am »

This week's update is a day early.

Poor Kulet, I knew thee not-so-well...
Chapter 1

I've seen a strange sight at the beach while adventuring: Dozens of Dwarves, Humans, and Goblins drowing in submerged tents.

Any idea what's going on? RP-wise, I pass it off as people fleeing from the necromancers into the ocean (rather grim-dark), but I'm curious what is actually going on.

High-speed minecarts, because it's very effective when dealing with the undead. They won't be getting back up again after being horribly mangled by a minecart that's for sure!
-Luckyowl
i'd say bridges myself, just to stick with the theme of the Bridge Fort, but minecarts sounds like fun.
-snowyscales

I've been wanting to play with minecarts, so I'll go with that when I get there (if I get there...), but drawbridges will be part of the defense too.

snowyscales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 06:08:48 am »

i'd guess that they're probably an army or such? and the world gen set their camping site on a large frozen river. which then melted.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 08:58:21 pm »

...the site of  their desperate attempt to escape from the undead shows how urgent this matter is...

you should build there, retrieve their bodies and when you have built the bridge bury these poor souls in the new continent so that their ill-attempts did not end in vein.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 09:17:16 pm by Luckyowl »

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 01:51:35 pm »

Another Monday, another update: Chapter 1 and Chapter 2

We're finally about to see some fortress mode action!

On a side note, adventurer forts are kinda fun, if rather limited. Why can't I make (or find) booze in Adventurer Mode?

you should build there, retrieve their bodies and when you have built the bridge bury these poor souls in the new continent so that their ill-attempts did not end in vein.

Unfortunately, the nearest land is East, not North, so the bridge fort will be on a different patch of beach.

I've added a download like to the world just after world generation (since updated a minor version changes world-gen): Puzzling-Sea-yr-444

Next question for the community: What are some good Dwarfy names to give to future migrants who come to the fortress?

8)

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 06:10:39 pm »

IT WIll NOT BE FAIR.

Very eerie and foreshadowing words of what's to come...

Unfortunately, the nearest land is East, not North, so the bridge fort will be on a different patch of beach.

You could get an adventurer to swim to those corpses and bring them to your fort.

Next question for the community: What are some good Dwarfy names to give to future migrants who come to the fortress?

If you get a farmer migrant, call him Lucky.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 04:51:11 am »

Another update!

Chapter 2

I've just had my favorite migrant so far in all my time playing Dwarf Fortress: a Legendary Milker.

I'm trying to imagine how many hours she must have spent milking cows to reach legendary skill level. Or maybe she had a strange mood and claimed a cow as her workshop. Poor cow.

If you get a farmer migrant, call him Lucky.

I've named a farmer 'Lucky', though he hasn't done anything interesting yet. I'm still looking for more good Dwarfy migrant names.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2020, 01:25:24 am »

Another update!

Chapter 2

Those undead bastards are back! And the minecart defenses are not finished yet! I'll need to queue-up some coffins and slab memorials...

So, some questions for the DF community:
  • What is the best weapon for fighting undead?
  • Can crossbows be used to drop undead from a distance or are undead basically bolt-proof?

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 03:20:49 pm »

In this week's update, you get to see the minecart defense in all it's glory! It really is pretty effective at turning zombies into road-kill.

Chapter 2

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 07:21:03 pm »

😂 That zombie rabbit remind me of the killer rabbit from "Monty python and the holy grail"

That rabbit's dynamite!

Anyways, really like the fort you built for yourself! Hope it works out! And also the best weapon against the undead are hammers. Spears, useless, bolts and arrows, bb pellets. Swords and axe, severed body parts can come back to life if there's a necromancer present. A Hammer will mangle a corpse killing it for good.

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2020, 07:16:13 pm »

New update: Chapter 2

I've never had to dig so deep to find the caverns before.

Maybe you guys can help me solve a mystery: As soon as I had a squad ready to station in the caverns, I told them to station in the cave near the door. I then looked away just long enough to designate some construction on the surface and when I looked back, one of my Dwarves was dead!
There was no fight in the combat log, no announcements, and he was surrounded by comrades-in-arms. I don't think its a vampire because there have been no other deaths and no migrants in about a year. How can a Dwarf just spontaneously die?

snowyscales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2020, 05:40:54 am »

old age seems the most likely scenario?

but if you have DFHack you can use the command "deathcause" while the corpse is selected and it should tell you what killed him
Pages: [1] 2 3 4