Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Livers, kidneys and their functionality  (Read 955 times)

Demandro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Livers, kidneys and their functionality
« on: January 26, 2021, 12:48:23 am »

This topic consists of 2 questions:

1)Does missing liver or kidney decrease ones immunity to poisons

2)If it doesn't, can I then for example add disease resistance attribute to the organ so that if you have this organ you also have increased resistance to the diseases and poisons (I mainly focus on poisons here, 'cause I'm creating tough race and I would like it to be hard for them to get stupid drunk, since alcohol poisoning counts to poisons)

Livers, kidneys, and most other organs are actually useless. The only organs a dwarf actually needs are their lungs, brain, and spine. The rest are just weak points that bleed and hurt more when they’re hit. Notably, a serious hit to the heart will almost certainly kill in seconds, but that’s due to the severe bleeding rather than loss of function.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 10:36:04 am by Demandro »
I bet even Armok can't make and anvil without having one already, the true god is Anvil, and Armok is just a mere pawn in it's wicked game, a slave whose sole purpose is to make and destroy worlds for his superiors amusement...
EDIT: Forget the anvil, you can't mine ore without pickaxe therefore you can't make neither anvil or pickaxe.

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
Re: Livers, kidneys and their functionality
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 02:35:00 am »

I've no idea about any of the body part related bits, but I can offer you a basic solution if your only want is to make a creature strongly resistant to alcohol. The caste-level creature tag SYNDROME_DILUTION_FACTOR can be used to make particular syndromes more / less effective against that caste. In fact, it's used in the vanilla game specifically to make dwarves more resistant to booze!
Code: (From dwarf raws) [Select]
[SYNDROME_DILUTION_FACTOR:INEBRIATION:150]

Also, if you want to make a creature more resistant to diseases (well, any syndromes that are flagged as being able to be resisted), you could consider giving them a raised PHYS_ATT_RANGE for DISEASE_RESISTANCE, meaning the creatures will naturally have higher disease resistance stats.
You can see how they're used in the main civilised creature's raws, though here's a summary of the vanilla ranges used for easier reference.

Demandro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re:Re: Livers, kidneys and their functionality
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 03:32:49 am »

I've no idea about any of the body part related bits, but I can offer you a basic solution if your only want is to make a creature strongly resistant to alcohol. The caste-level creature tag SYNDROME_DILUTION_FACTOR can be used to make particular syndromes more / less effective against that caste. In fact, it's used in the vanilla game specifically to make dwarves more resistant to booze!
Code: (From dwarf raws) [Select]
[SYNDROME_DILUTION_FACTOR:INEBRIATION:150]

Also, if you want to make a creature more resistant to diseases (well, any syndromes that are flagged as being able to be resisted), you could consider giving them a raised PHYS_ATT_RANGE for DISEASE_RESISTANCE, meaning the creatures will naturally have higher disease resistance stats.
You can see how they're used in the main civilised creature's raws, though here's a summary of the vanilla ranges used for easier reference.
Thanks it will definitely help! Maybe I had to specify it earlier but I'm asking about organ functionality not just because I'm creating a race but because I generally modify, tweak or rework (call it what ever you like) parts of the game what I either don't like (why rat man are so small!?)
or what I think could use some rework (like liver functionality), in this case I want to make livers functional so that if it's destroyed in one or the other way your resistance to all kinds of poison decreases (mainly alcohol, cause it would impact your "colonists" (yeah I overplayed Rimworld a li'l) diet heavily.).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 03:37:23 am by Demandro »
I bet even Armok can't make and anvil without having one already, the true god is Anvil, and Armok is just a mere pawn in it's wicked game, a slave whose sole purpose is to make and destroy worlds for his superiors amusement...
EDIT: Forget the anvil, you can't mine ore without pickaxe therefore you can't make neither anvil or pickaxe.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Livers, kidneys and their functionality
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 11:40:53 am »

Livers, kidneys, and most other organs are actually useless. The only organs a dwarf actually needs are their lungs, brain, and spine. The rest are just weak points that bleed and hurt more when they’re hit. Notably, a serious hit to the heart will almost certainly kill in seconds, but that’s due to the severe bleeding rather than loss of function.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!