Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF Color Configurator  (Read 1560 times)

sxtxixtxcxh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF Color Configurator
« on: March 03, 2020, 10:21:05 pm »

i've put together a web utility for tweaking and previewing colors.txt at https://df-color-configurator.glitch.me - it's got the vanilla colors preloaded... editable individually with a color picker that supports hex, RGB, or HSL inputs, and globally with saturation and temperature adjustment buttons (useful if you use DFHack's Seasonal Palette swapping script).

you can also edit the values directly if you're more comfortable editing Dwarf Fortress tags, as well as copy and paste in other color schemes (the DF Wiki is a good source), if you wanted to see how they looked, or tweak them to your taste.

your color scheme is previewable (currently a basic Fortress Mode menu snapshot right from embark and a world map), and shareable through a url next to a download link at the bottom so you can share them (here is the classic CGA or a Monochrome Green... i call this one College Ruled and here's the Terminal Blues color scheme from the port i posted recently...)

i look forward to seeing what y'all can do with this... enjoy!

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Color Configurator
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 04:55:26 pm »

Very useful!
It would be even better to see all possible combinations (i.e. foreground in one color on backgrounds in all other colors for all colors) at once in a matrix to spot contrast problems and fine tune them. A split view of the top pallet view could also be nice where you could lock in one variant and compare it to a tweak you want to make.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

sxtxixtxcxh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 05:40:09 pm »

good idea on the contrast... currently i have a kind of a hidden feature where you can click on a color tile and change the foreground color of one of the preview tiles by clicking on it. i used it to correct a couple miscolored tiles when i built the previews, but also for changing the professions of the seven dwarfs from what i chose for that embark.

as for comparing changes, what i've been doing is just opening up the "share" link in another tab (or even the current tab). the link url stores the current state so it's also useful marking a sort of save/restore point. you can then either swap tabs or hit the browser's back button, but i'm not opposed to the idea of having a split view for the preview panel, so i'll keep that in mind.

LordBalkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 06:46:58 pm »

As I said on reddit,
I didnt knew I need it until you made it possible.
Thank you for this great mod