Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: GoblinCookie's Expanded Dictionary 0.5  (Read 24986 times)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GoblinCookie's Expanded Dictionary 0.4
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2019, 09:16:10 am »

Thought I'd respond to a few points in your post, GoblinCookie. Thank you again for the work.

The hyphen is how it is spelt, maybe will remove anyway to please you.

Merriam-Webster defines it without the hyphen, but I'm not attached to the spelling. I just think unnecessary hyphens contribute to awkward constructions in-game. I actually rather like hyphens normally, I've been reading Tolkien and he seems in love with them.

You don't need to do anything to please me, I'm just trying to help.

It is already called volcanology  ???

[WORD:VULCANOLOGY]
   [NOUN:vulcanology:]
      [OF_NOUN_PLUR]
      [THE_NOUN_SING]
      [THE_COMPOUND_NOUN_SING]
      [FRONT_COMPOUND_NOUN_SING]
      [REAR_COMPOUND_NOUN_SING]
   [ADJ:vulcanological]
      [ADJ_DIST:7]
      [THE_COMPOUND_ADJ]
      [FRONT_COMPOUND_ADJ]

I just thought the more common spelling of volcanology made the meaning more obvious.

sharpshooter (tricky: in meaning it should be kept, but by etymology you fire arrows and bolts, not shoot them. I think it sounds like it implies using a gun.) Could be replaced wih marksman?

I like the marksman suggestion!

So we are talking two words, one word for stripping someone against their will and the other for removing them of clothes they want removed?

I'm suggesting that it might be useful to differentiate between "The king stripped Urist, Captain of the Guard of his position" and "The king stripped Urist, Captain of the Guard of his clothing", but it's not important.

The reason I don't use fuck rather than a hyphonated descriptor, is because that is a curse-word.  If the game comes up with fuck-goat, we don't know if it means that he just hates goats or whether he is pervert that has sex with goats.  Has-sex, while hyphonated makes the meaning clearer while using a curse-word, even if it basically the only verb/adjective for sex in English that does not imply heterosexual potentially baby-making sex (copulate).

Fair logic.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2019, 05:41:32 am »

Merriam-Webster defines it without the hyphen, but I'm not attached to the spelling. I just think unnecessary hyphens contribute to awkward constructions in-game. I actually rather like hyphens normally, I've been reading Tolkien and he seems in love with them.

You don't need to do anything to please me, I'm just trying to help.

I got the impression you are the hate hyphens guy, I also got the impression that you are not alone.   

It is already called volcanology  ???

[WORD:VULCANOLOGY]
   [NOUN:vulcanology:]
      [OF_NOUN_PLUR]
      [THE_NOUN_SING]
      [THE_COMPOUND_NOUN_SING]
      [FRONT_COMPOUND_NOUN_SING]
      [REAR_COMPOUND_NOUN_SING]
   [ADJ:vulcanological]
      [ADJ_DIST:7]
      [THE_COMPOUND_ADJ]
      [FRONT_COMPOUND_ADJ]

I just thought the more common spelling of volcanology made the meaning more obvious.

I don't think anyone does not get the meaning either way. 

The problem is if marksman means crossbowman in general in dwarf fortress.  I cannot really member.  Sharpshooter also has connotations of stealth, it is another way of saying sniper.

I'm suggesting that it might be useful to differentiate between "The king stripped Urist, Captain of the Guard of his position" and "The king stripped Urist, Captain of the Guard of his clothing", but it's not important.

Stripping is an analogy in this case, not a literal description.  It is quite likely the analogy is not used in dwarf fortress language, so it will just be demote or revoke.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2019, 09:51:11 am »

are you working together with the guys who work on the dwarven language?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173289.0
might be useful to not get two different versions of the dwarven dictionary with conflicting words.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2019, 11:29:25 am »

might be useful to not get two different versions of the dwarven dictionary with conflicting words.

GoblinCookie might be, but I don't see any mention of it in that thread. I posted about it on the second page and everybody ignored me. I don't think they care, which I find a little frustrating.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2019, 07:48:52 am »

No and they are doing things very differently to how I am doing them. 

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GoblinCookie's Expanded Dictionary 0.5
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2019, 10:20:56 am »

I have removed a number of redundant and obscure words from the dictionary, thanks to Taffer in particular for helping me find them.  The plan is to leave the mod dictionary the same for the time being but use the new streamlined dictionary as the base for the 2.8 release.  I will be adding a load of new words for the new creatures for that version anyway, so it makes sense to do it that way.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2019, 10:57:48 am »

The problem is if marksman means crossbowman in general in dwarf fortress.  I cannot really member.  Sharpshooter also has connotations of stealth, it is another way of saying sniper.
The reason you wanted to replace sharpshooter in the first place is because "by etymology you fire arrows not shoot them", but it's literally the exact opposite. You don't fire arrows you fire bullets. Firing arrows became a term after firing bullets did, because the uses are similar so the non-explosiveness of firing an arrow isn't what most people were thinking of. The word shoot is thousands of years old and has meant the same thing.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2019, 11:01:00 am »

The reason you wanted to replace sharpshooter in the first place is because "by etymology you fire arrows not shoot them", but it's literally the exact opposite. You don't fire arrows you fire bullets. Firing arrows became a term after firing bullets did, because the uses are similar so the non-explosiveness of firing an arrow isn't what most people were thinking of. The word shoot is thousands of years old and has meant the same thing.

You're right; I actually realised my mistake shortly after GoblinCookie posted but didn't correct my post because it had already been quoted. I recollect a LindyBeige rant on the subject.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 11:05:45 am by Taffer »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2019, 04:48:21 pm »

I recollect a LindyBeige rant on the subject.
Hehe, i like how those youtubers shape our historical experience, just like shadiversity and others who just share their views on certain topics.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2019, 11:29:35 am »

Yes the whole firing arrows problem.  :)  We do not fire arrows, we shoot them or loose them; had this problem in my book when I had to edit the accidental instances of firing arrows to loosing arrows. 

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2020, 03:52:12 pm »

Thank you again for your work, and for updating to the new version!

There's a few errors in the logs, unfortunately, stemming from language_SYM. I just deleted all of them except for BUISINESS, which was misspelled.

*** Error(s) finalizing the symbol VIOLENT
Unrecognized word token: BOWYER-WORKSHOP
Unrecognized word token: SIEGE-WORKSHOP
*** Error(s) finalizing the symbol ARTIFICE
Unrecognized word token: CLOTHIER-WORKSHOP
Unrecognized word token: DYEWORKS
Unrecognized word token: FARMER-WORKSHOP
Unrecognized word token: JEWELER-WORKSHOP
Unrecognized word token: LEATHERWORKS
Unrecognized word token: MASON-WORKSHOP
Unrecognized word token: MECHANIC-WORKSHOP
Unrecognized word token: SOAPERY