Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravan not trading  (Read 586 times)

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caravan not trading
« on: February 27, 2020, 03:03:14 am »

This is 0.44.12 if that matters, which it might.  I had the fairly common situation happen where traders in the process of unloading were interrupted (by a Cyclops).  It was easily dispatched but now they're just standing around doing nothing and won't trade.  Since they're the only civilization (the Mountainhomes) currently trading with me (the humans are mad at me I believe), I don't want to have them stuck here or become hostile.

What's the safest way to prod them to either trade or leave rather than, for instance, staying around forever and going insane and/or blocking next year's caravan?

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan not trading
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 03:12:36 am »

When you "q" at the trade depot what does it say?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 03:34:02 am »

Dismantling the trade depot usually sends caravans away with only a displeased trader, it won't spoil relations enough to stop further trade (say, if it was with humans or  elves). If they've unloaded, all their stuff will be left behind, which is usually more of a hassle than a boon.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 05:29:24 pm »

When you "q" at the trade depot what does it say?

My broker is still there with "Trade at Depot" as the task and "Trader requested at depot" available, but trade isn't an option and neither is bringing items to the depot.

You can't see the merchants because they're blinking and were un-blinked when the screen shot was taken, but they're there along with their wagons.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 05:31:27 pm by muldrake »

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 07:05:42 pm »

Check the dead units list for wagons. My suspicion is that traders get "stuck" when they no longer have the capacity to load up all their crap and depart, typically because a wagon was scuttled (but possibly also if enough pack animals were scared out of the depot). Deconstructing the depot (and stealing all their merchandise) does tend to fix it.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 09:10:56 pm »

Check the dead units list for wagons. My suspicion is that traders get "stuck" when they no longer have the capacity to load up all their crap and depart, typically because a wagon was scuttled (but possibly also if enough pack animals were scared out of the depot). Deconstructing the depot (and stealing all their merchandise) does tend to fix it.

Well, look what's there.

There are something like eight other wagons.  I assume it's the contents of the missing one spewed out on the ground.  Unfortunately, most of what they have is junk I don't really want but maybe I can take what I do want and atom smash the rest.  Or sell it back to them next year.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 09:27:36 pm »

I had an elven donkey evaporate once (no idea what happened, but they left a mile high pile of terrible wooden armor. If you set up a dedicated atom smasher, you can get rid of it all pretty quickly.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 01:22:13 am »

Build steel trade depot and wash it with magma!