Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [MODDING] Black sheep? Other Colors of wool through different Casts?  (Read 895 times)

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I was thinking about this, haven't tried it out yet. But..
Different Casts for animals let you make male, female, drones, queen, whatever.
Could casts be used to make a certain % of sheep population be black sheep, white sheep, or even if you were just being crazy and wanted different color wool, any color sheep you wanted?   Or is this better done through making an entirely new animal entry?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game

You could do this... but that's kind of the point of the COLOR modifier.  Just change
Code: [Select]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:HAIR]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:WHITE:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:wool:SINGULAR]
to
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:WHITE:9:BLACK:1]
and one-tenth of all sheep will have black wool in their description.

However, this will not affect the color of the material you get from shearing it, as materials are defined on the creature level, not the caste level (so clothes made from black sheep wool will still be white).  To handle this is much more annoying; you have to define multiple materials (a black wool and a white wool material), have two castes (four if you want both male and female), make the base creature have no hair, but add hair on the caste level and use different kinds of wool for each caste.

This is probably why all sheep in DF are white.

I used this in Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom to make each color of yoshi have different color leather and eggs, you can look at that if you want an example.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could do this... but that's kind of the point of the COLOR modifier.  Just change
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:WHITE:1]
to
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:WHITE:9:BLACK:1]
and one-tenth of all sheep will have black wool in their description.

However, this will not affect the color of the material you get from shearing it, as materials are defined on the creature level, not the caste level (so clothes made from black sheep wool will still be white).  To handle this is much more annoying; you have to define multiple materials (a black wool and a white wool material), have two castes (four if you want both male and female), make the base creature have no hair, but add hair on the caste level and use different kinds of wool for each caste.

This is probably why all sheep in DF are white.

I used this in Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom to make each color of yoshi have different color leather and eggs, you can look at that if you want an example.

Thanks for the reply! I'll be sure to take a look.