Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we mod in Platinum blunt weapons and armour?

Yay!
- 0 (0%)
Nay!
- 0 (0%)
Maybe... (Please elaborate in a post)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 25, 2020, 03:39:38 am

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24

Author Topic: Smithsoldier, Year 12: Clothes, Madness, and Beasts (And Candy) [47.04]  (Read 58275 times)

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
Re: Smithsoldier Year 5 - Succession Game (Overseers Wanted) [47.04]
« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2020, 03:12:55 am »

7th of Granite, 179
Oh, a wonderful idea just appeared in my mind. The gobbos are clumped outside the gate, right?
Hehehe, this is going to be wonderful...

12th of Granite, 179
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Let's hope it's not prophetic...

21th of granite, 179
Come on, you wimps! They can't get you through the wall- Just go build that ballistics already! No? If I build a zig-zag wall so you can't see them, will you be okay then? You can't build the wall because of the enemies? Dammit!

(This is a real problem- I can't build the ballista (or do anything else in the courtyard-thing) because every time someone tries, they get scared away by the enemy outsde the walls. This also applies to the entire hallway leading into the fortress- any suggestions?)

IIRC, the Gobbos will eventually wander off to the other areas of the map if the bridge stays up/they can't get in long enough. They'll still be besieging us, but it should give you the time to get the Ballista set up. How're you actually going to fire it, considering Siege Operator is considered a civilian job?
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for being here, my time machine broke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 09, 2020, 11:51:32 am »

IIRC, the Gobbos will eventually wander off to the other areas of the map if the bridge stays up/they can't get in long enough. They'll still be besieging us, but it should give you the time to get the Ballista set up. How're you actually going to fire it, considering Siege Operator is considered a civilian job?
They don't appear to be doing that- If there were any other entrances, they should've rushed to it- but right now they're just sitting right outside the gates.
About the actual operator, i'll probably build it farther back then planned, possibly put up some more fortifications.
And thus was the dwarven meatshield invented.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2020, 10:20:35 pm »

25th of Granite, 104
This page is covered in ink, rips and tears ravaging this page and the surrounding ones as well.

28th of Granite, 104
Eh... The pain of changing is just so great... How much longer till I go insane?

2nd of Slate, 104
It seems the big blob of the fiends outside the gates has finally let up- but I've gotten reports of Deler- one of the Slammerlords- has gone up into the tower (I locked that door!) and is now in combat with the enemy-
And he's absolutely killing it. He's already slaughtered two goblins and a troll and is going on to another-
He's gone up to the next floor! But's he's passed out- I'm sending Zon and ezum to help!

5th of Slate, 104
That's it- the siege is over. But poor Deler has died of his wounds- the exhaustion caught up to him and the final troll killed him. But he probably single-highhandedly ended the siege- I will be sure to honor him via gold statue.

Two problems however- corpse disposal and OH MY GOD THE AMOUNT OF GOBLINS IN CAGES NOW IS STUPID.
First, we're gonna need more coffins...

(Ok, how I handle the next couple months are going to make or break this fortress- Unfortunately, I suck and might ruin this fort forever. Wish me luck!)
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2020, 03:03:45 am »

25th of Granite, 104
This page is covered in ink, rips and tears ravaging this page and the surrounding ones as well.

28th of Granite, 104
Eh... The pain of changing is just so great... How much longer till I go insane?

2nd of Slate, 104
It seems the big blob of the fiends outside the gates has finally let up- but I've gotten reports of Deler- one of the Slammerlords- has gone up into the tower (I locked that door!) and is now in combat with the enemy-
And he's absolutely killing it. He's already slaughtered two goblins and a troll and is going on to another-
He's gone up to the next floor! But's he's passed out- I'm sending Zon and ezum to help!

5th of Slate, 104
That's it- the siege is over. But poor Deler has died of his wounds- the exhaustion caught up to him and the final troll killed him. But he probably single-handedly ended the siege- I will be sure to honor him via gold statue.

RIP Deler, Hero of Smithsoldier. May he be an inspiration and archetype to the dwarves of this fort for years to come. A pity we haven't reached the magma layer yet - if breaking a siege singlehandedly isn't enough to make him worthy of sleeping in the Blood of the World forever, nothing is. Maybe we could try and relocate his coffin later, or flood the tomb with magma as a Stupid Dwarf Trick.

Beside him, how many did we lose?

Two problems however- corpse disposal and OH MY GOD THE AMOUNT OF GOBLINS IN CAGES NOW IS STUPID.
First, we're gonna need more coffins...

(Ok, how I handle the next couple months are going to make or break this fortress- Unfortunately, I suck and might ruin this fort forever. Wish me luck!)

What do we do with the captured Goblin?
Deep in the Dwarven Fortress!

A few ideas on what to do with the Goblins:

• Training - Strip their armour and weapons via dump, have them melted down, and then use them as live targets for the new military dorfs.
  • Strip them of armour and introduce them to DL at the next full moon.
  • Drowning chamber could be constructed down in the caverns.
  • Finish the Temple of Armok (will require iron spikes and mechanisms, linked to a lever) then sacrifice the lot of them to thank the God of Blood. Failing that, just throw them into the deepest pit you can find and see who can get the biggest splatter.
  • If all else fails, there is the atom smasher. Would lose the cages in the process, but would certainly prevent the corpse problem from getting any worse.

Good luck. Here's to glory or death!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 09:22:10 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2020, 09:01:09 am »

Not exactly sure, but most of the crossbow squad is long dead since I stationed them in the tower and got into melee range- A couple of other civilians, for sure but it's not too too bad.
(There was a slope I never noticed leading into the tower- for some reason the enemy already in the tower didn't rush inward- I think I got lucky and broke the pathfinding.)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2020, 03:44:53 pm »

Nicely defended! Poor Deler, I'm sure he fought gloriously.

And yes, the cleanup is the real issue with sieges. Making a nearby atom smasher can help greatly, or a deep pit that can later be flooded with magma.

Oh, try to save Deler's weapon and assign it to someone else. If it ever gets named we can have a badass hammer with a huge killcount!

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smithsoldier Year 5 - Make or Break [47.04]
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2020, 04:23:17 pm »

(Okay, was just dealing with the fallout of the last siege- cleaning up, I made a drowning chamber to get rid of the prisoners- but ANOTHER siege arrived! This one should be cleaner because I know the holes in our defenses and can seal them accordingly. It's the 3rd of Hematite, 179, btw, so wish me luck!)

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2020, 04:33:44 pm »

(Okay, was just dealing with the fallout of the last siege- cleaning up, I made a drowning chamber to get rid of the prisoners- but ANOTHER siege arrived! This one should be cleaner because I know the holes in our defenses and can seal them accordingly. It's the 3rd of Hematite, 179, btw, so wish me luck!)

More Gobbos? Either they don't know when to quit, or they're actively trying to give us sacrifices to Armok. Something tell me that DC will be seeing a lot of use when this is over.

Good luck on the new siege, DL. Here's hoping you can paint the road red with Gobbo blood!

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2020, 03:24:28 pm »

26th of Hematite, 179
Sorry for the lack of entries lately- I have a lot of stuff on my plate.
Ironic, that saying- haven't had anything to eat for years- not even the smallest drop of booze. They could at least make a chute to give me something to eat, but whenever I tell them to, they just shake their heads...

Anyway, status update- nothing's happened with the siege. Again, they are just standing in a blob, but this time not right on top of our cage traps, unfortunately. Oh well, they'll go away eventually. In other news, some dude had a strange mood and I thought we were going to be in trouble since he needed cloth, but he's started fortunately.

Remember that problem with the cages? Solved. I stuffed them in a room and flooded it with cavern water.

The other problem, corpse disposal, is not going as well. I ordered 50 coffins but so far only nine have been produced. There are quite a few ghosts hanging around...

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2020, 10:48:41 pm »

1st of Granite, 180
I've been busy, haven't had time to fill this out- any case, I'm done. The 180's have started, and I'm hyped.
Not too much happened in more than half a year since I did this last- the second siege went away after we had some fun with the dump bridge, I realized things don't drown in cages, that things escape when you let them out of cages, even underwater (And related, that goblins are suprisingly good swimmers,) I started steel production- a Minotaur came but good ol' Zon came and killed it singlehandedly and now has a cool name- All good things. And now I'm out of the overseer role- I can finally talk with some old friend-
Hmmm?
A siege has come?
Well, it's not my problem anymore. The year ends as the year started, oh well.
Hey, what's your name again?
'Ryukan'?
Say, why are you carrying that block...
No.
They wouldn't- they wouldn't dare!
Ryukan says nothing, but looks ashamed.
WHY?
AFTER ALL I'VE DONE FOR THIS FORT?
AFTER SACRIFICING MY FREEDOM WILLINGLY?
I SPENT TWO YEARS WITH NOTHING BUT A BED, A CHAIR, A TABLE, AND THE WALLS! ARE YOU JUST GOING TO LET ME ROT HERE FOREVER AFTER THIS?
Ryukan just keeps building the wall, brick by granite brick. Behind him, DwarvenLord sees Rimtar, a founding member and one of his only friends, walk by, obviously trying not to look over at the screaming dwarf.
Why?
Ryukan tries to say something, but nothing comes out- so he simply mouths...
'tradition.'
DwarvenLord gapes at the poor woman in horror as she slides the last brick into it's slot.

TIPS:
Make sure the steel industry continues and that our squads are outfitted with the best armor and in the case of the Towers of Wind, weapons.
Speaking of which, make sure to find a way to kick the "Traveling" dwarves of the squads so we can fully fill out the ranks of our squads. Make sure to train them up too.
You should probably make some official temples+priests, as well as a guildhall, I've gotten multiple requests for such things.
Finish the tower so we can do things during a siege.
I've got a caged cave spider, I think a silk maker would be fun.
DO NOT PROVIDE ANYTHING TO IG ME. IT'S AGAINST DWARVEN TRADITION and will totally not ruin some plans I have for later turns...
Have !!FUN!!

SAVE:
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15017
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 10:52:52 pm by DwarvenLord »

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 18, 2020, 08:11:04 am »

So it's my turn, and I have 2 free days to play right now, between the Sunday and the Orthodox Easter! I'm getting the save as we speak, but won't start for ~4 hours; previous arrangements.

Steel production will definitely continue, and new, all-steel, armor suites are going to get defined, too. From what I saw so far, the military screen is the 'old' one from DF2012.

For the glitching squads, the plan I have (but haven't tested) is to leave the missing dorfs as they are, and move the ones I can control into new squads; preferably with steel armor, yanno. The only exception that could happen would be a fort-dwarf who's a squad leader; I won't be able to remove them from position, because they still have subordinates. I'll see in the save.

The tower is the biggest priority, from what DwarvenLord listed; I'll see what I can do about it. If I still have time and dwarf power left, the other projects will get approached, too.

Temples and priests, ok; not sure where/if I can see the list of desired guildhalls in-game. In my own forts, I screenshot all requests, and that's how I keep track of them... if there's an in-game way, I guess I'll find out now :).

And lastly, the spider; I've made a silk farm exactly once before, and it was fine; so it's not the execution which bothers me. My biggest constraint seem to be time, tbh...

[EDIT] DwarvenLord, a quick check - can I at least smooth out the room in which your dorf resides? By his own hand, obviously.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 10:36:07 am by StrikaAmaru »
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 18, 2020, 10:07:48 am »

So....I CAN TAKE A TURN!!!!

Glory of glories, LNP got updated to the latest version, and I can now take a turn on this amazing fort!

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 18, 2020, 10:36:52 am »

So....I CAN TAKE A TURN!!!!

Glory of glories, LNP got updated to the latest version, and I can now take a turn on this amazing fort!

Excellent. I'll get you added to the turn list.

So it's my turn, and I have 2 free days to play right now, between the Sunday and the Orthodox Easter! I'm getting the save as we speak, but won't start for ~4 hours; previous arrangements.

Steel production will definitely continue, and new, all-steel, armor suites are going to get defined, too. From what I saw so far, the military screen is the 'old' one from DF2012.

For the glitching squads, the plan I have (but haven't tested) is to leave the missing dorfs as they are, and move the ones I can control into new squads; preferably with steel armor, yanno. The only exception that could happen would be a fort-dwarf who's a squad leader; I won't be able to remove them from position, because they still have subordinates. I'll see in the save.

The tower is the biggest priority, from what DwarvenLord listed; I'll see what I can do about it. If I still have time and dwarf power left, the other projects will get approached, too.

Temples and priests, ok; not sure where/if I can see the list of desired guildhalls in-game. In my own forts, I screenshot all requests, and that's how I keep track of them... if there's an in-game way, I guess I'll find out now :).

And lastly, the spider; I've made a silk farm exactly once before, so it's not the execution which bothers me. My biggest constraints seem to be time, tbh...

Good luck with your first turn.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 18, 2020, 11:11:34 am »

And lastly, the spider; I've made a silk farm exactly once before, and it was fine; so it's not the execution which bothers me. My biggest constraint seem to be time, tbh...

[EDIT] DwarvenLord, a quick check - can I at least smooth out the room in which your dorf resides? By his own hand, obviously.
Sure. Good luck!

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 18, 2020, 12:02:12 pm »

Ok; I started up the save, but haven’t played yet. Just looked around, and dwarfed myself. Which raises an important question: are there any dorfing requests? Or is this an overseer-only club?

My avatar is going to be a migrant from the latest wave - a law-abiding, craft-admiring, military-respecting dwarfette who dreams of making a masterwork. Oh, and she worships the god of volcanoes and fortresses. She seems both the dwarfiest dwarf to ever dwarf, and the blandest bland to ever bland.

The imgur album for the intro is going to be here. Might be worth a look, not all pictures in the album make it in the post, and imgur does have image zooming, unlike the forum.

-------------------------

11th Obsidian 179.

Hello, dear diary cum operations log!

Or let’s be frank: hello to you, who’ve come across this small booklet, and are reading my words. My likely amateurish words, as never in my 66 years of life have I ever kept a diary or any other kind of journal, or written any prose.

Nonetheless, I have begun one now, in preparation of forwarding my candidacy as overseer of this fort, SmithSoldier, in the year 180. Or the years after, if I am not elected in the coming weeks.

I think it wise to have a personal report on the leadership decisions made in a fort; the logs and stocks that are kept as part of normal operation tend to obscure and gloss over the reason why decisions were made, or not made. And at worst, should the fortress come to a disastrous end under my rule, it would at least serve to provide context, and perhaps help future overseers in their own years.

As to why I have chosen to become overseer, especially having arrived here less than half a year ago? Because the fort is… suboptimal. There is nothing truly wrong with it; its economy is flourishing, and it has already broken the power of the neighboring goblin pit of KindledTicks, then sent razing parties to the pit of EqualHated (more on those later...). But it could be better, and this is what has irked me enough to move. This fort is merely adequate, when it could be a masterwork.

There are, it must be said, extenuating circumstances - the current overseer, for instance, is a were-chameleon, and has imprisoned himself in a single room for the good of the fort. From what I have been told, the aptly-titled DwarvenLord has been infected with the curse two years ago, when he was in the military. I greatly respect his self-sacrifice, and it would seem I am not the only one, given his election. But I’m convinced his isolation did impact his performance as overseer - there are far too many things which must be seen with one’s own eyes, before orders are made.

23rd Obsidian.

Overseer DwarvenLord has been sealed into his room, once again. I… do not agree. I’ve subtly asked some details over a beer, of both Ryukan, who did the deed, and Rimtar TaperBasement, one of his few friends. Their motive seems to have been, just, tradition. That once the term as overseer has ended, he should be kept away from the fortress. I have not said anything to them, but it makes little sense; here’s a dwarf who held the greatest elected office in a fort, but let’s seal him away from any dwarven contact indefinitely, because that’s what cursed dwarves get? Did the curse not bother you at all when you have chosen him as leader? Let us ignore that he still is oversser, until the year turns...

Another comment, made by Rimtar, has awakened a shred of paranoia for me: Rimtar does not consider the DwarvenLord as a friend, merely a long-term acquaintance. DwarvenLord, however, has named Rimtar as one of his few friends in the world. Perhaps there is more at work than I am aware of; I’ll do nothing on the matter for now. But I reserve the right to interfere; I value friendship, and if this is a plot to abuse it, I will take personal offense.

Rimtar’s relations:

DwarvenLord’s relations:

28th Obsidian. Also as per tradition, the next overseer has been revealed today: I have won. I will be the next overseer, having competed only with Salmeuk, and no-one else. I will need to take a closer look at Salmeuk - we have not even been acquainted until now, and I’ll always presume that a dwarf who succeeded in becoming overseer is a cut above the rest; perhaps he is a relation worth cultivating.

But that is very far down my list of priorities. Right now, I will celebrate with a drink, and then I will take over the fort.

180 is to be my year. I will make it count.

----------------------------

I hope you enjoyed the light dusting of Roman consulship which I added to the position of overseer. Great artists steal, and yes being consul was a Very Big Deal in Rome; Romans didn’t count years the way we do, they’d refer to them by who was consul; that’s suspiciously similar to how we manage years :D

Fear not DwarvenLord, your were-dwarf-chameleon will remain untouched; I just poked at the situation, found the discrepancy between relations, and made a story out of it. It did incidentally leave me with a convenient in for later, but I have exactly zero plans involving your avatar.

About dwarf-Salmeuk, I'm not even kidding. My dwarf has 2 and a half pages of 'passing acquaintances', but Salmeuk isn't among them. Far as I can tell, she might have never met him. (Alllso, my dwarf has no family. Zip, zero, nada. It's like she got spawned on the bridge, fully-formed; it's a bit suspicious, if I'm honest.)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 12:10:55 pm by StrikaAmaru »
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24