Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we mod in Platinum blunt weapons and armour?

Yay!
- 0 (0%)
Nay!
- 0 (0%)
Maybe... (Please elaborate in a post)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 25, 2020, 03:39:38 am

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24

Author Topic: Smithsoldier, Year 12: Clothes, Madness, and Beasts (And Candy) [47.04]  (Read 58292 times)

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
Re: Smithsoldier Year 8: A Hand on the Helm [47.04]
« Reply #195 on: May 15, 2020, 10:53:00 pm »

Looking forward to the next update!

ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE!!!!

Part 3: Goblin Christmas

Everywhere I turn, there's a new problem! Just as our steel production truly began to get off the ground, we ran out of steel! Worse, we ran out of hematite ore to smelt not long afterwards. It occurred to me sometime later after hearing this news that I may have overreacted in setting the areas to be mined for more ore.

As predicted, more migrants have arrived! Not very many, but every dwarf sent by the Mountainhomes is another body to throw at the ravening greenskin hordes welcome!

2nd of Limestone, 182.
They've returned. Those blasted, hateful pit spawn are back to defile our lands! But it shall never happen while Smithsoldier's sons and daughters stand ready to defend our sacred halls!

After much bloodshed, the foe has been driven back! Armok truly smiles on us this day!

(Note: So we did WAY better than I was expecting. Seriously, that was at least a hundred goblins, and we kicked ass! Don't think there was even a single casualty, actually. But most of the middle of the year was fairly tame, just mining and stuff. I've resolved to leave the problem of magma industry and fixing the waterfall to future overseers.)

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 15, 2020, 10:54:32 pm »

Also, I didn't mark all the forest to be cleared, just a fairly large chunk. We're doing okay so far, no collapses, just lots of wood, lol

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 19, 2020, 02:47:11 am »

How're things going on your end, LeftHandofGod?
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 19, 2020, 08:30:26 pm »

Finished, as it happens. Not gonna RP this last bit, but we finished the mining designations, and also carved out some new spaces for temples, cause the dorfs were getting uppity over not getting to pray. Between all of that, and the stress from seeing the dead goblins from the siege, things got bad enough with enough citizens brawling and throwing temper tantrums that I caved and used DF Hack to calm everybody the fuck down.

I also got the stockpiles set up properly. Tried dumping the wood, but it didn't work because they ignored it, so I just made a huge-ass wood stockpile, and we're gonna fill that up. Sold all the clothes from the dead goblins to the caravan and bought some steel and seeds from the traders. Sectioned off am area at the bottom corner of the workshop level for use as an armory and working on filling it with weapon racks and armor stands. And for some insane reason, despite the fact that I have priority orders queued, none of the dwarfs will use the craft shop to make mugs that we desperately need.

In addition, remember how I said there were no casualties from the siege? Guess I was wrong. On the other hand though, the only dead people were two of our own goblins, so who cares, amirite? I also figured out what was wrong with the waterfall. The actual pumps for the waterfall itself are operating just fine, but the pump system that draws water up into the reservoir are inactive for some reason, and I don't know how to turn them back on.

Without further ado, here's the workshop level at the beginning of 183.

And here's our status screen.

All in all, not the most exciting year on record. Sign me up for another turn!
---------------------------------------
Year 8: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15081

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 20, 2020, 01:48:58 am »

I'll get a start on it this week. Looking forward to taking a look at this mess

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 21, 2020, 10:08:33 am »

Is it just me, or did I start a tradition of posting a screenshot of the crafting level at turn end? XD

... why is the trade depot all brown? What have you done to my glorious golden Depot?!? It was gooooold!!!

I understand all of these poor bastards:

got killed off in glorious melee combat? 'Cause if yes, holy crap did the dwarven military get buffed; this was the sort of murder-fest we got all the way in DF 2012 and earlier; Df 2014 nerfed it rather badly - to the point where I started relying on traps, for the few forts I played on those versions.
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 21, 2020, 11:44:05 am »

Really? In my games from .44 and .47 I haven't even bothered with traps. It's easy enough to get legendary dwarves just from training.

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 21, 2020, 08:53:11 pm »

Is it just me, or did I start a tradition of posting a screenshot of the crafting level at turn end? XD

... why is the trade depot all brown? What have you done to my glorious golden Depot?!? It was gooooold!!!

I understand all of these poor bastards:

got killed off in glorious melee combat? 'Cause if yes, holy crap did the dwarven military get buffed; this was the sort of murder-fest we got all the way in DF 2012 and earlier; Df 2014 nerfed it rather badly - to the point where I started relying on traps, for the few forts I played on those versions.

Yeah, our infantry steamrolled the suckers. I thought it might get dicey for a bit when I saw all the bodies, then I realized that they were all dead goblins, stopped worrying, and started cheering. Seriously, our dorfs kick ass.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 22, 2020, 11:28:46 pm »

Finished, as it happens.

Nicely done with your turn! I remember you predicted a complete disaster, but fighting off a siege without mass casualties is always admirable.

Yeah, our infantry steamrolled the suckers. I thought it might get dicey for a bit when I saw all the bodies, then I realized that they were all dead goblins, stopped worrying, and started cheering. Seriously, our dorfs kick ass.

This is good to hear! We should try to keep them happy and occupied. Now it seems a dwarven fighter's most dangerous enemy is their internal struggle with boredom and apathy. That and like a steel dinosaurid or something.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Smithsoldier Year 9: Insert Clever Title [47.04]
« Reply #204 on: May 23, 2020, 03:11:29 am »

Year 9, Part 1

This is the diary of Glloyd Tegirlorbam, Chief Medical Dwarf of Smithsoldier, and overseer for the year 183. Although I've been in this fort for quite some time, I've never really stopped to take it all in until I was forced to by circumstance. Honestly, it's not the greatest place to call home. First things first, I have no idea where anything is. This place feels like it was designed by overseers with a severe hatred for their successors. Case in point, my predecessor dug out massive caverns, for seemingly no reason at all. It feels like he just wants a cave-in to happen. Also, did I mention that everything's a mess and I can't find a damn thing? But before I can really get going, some dwarf runs up to me carrying a mug

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Sardonyx!" He yells in my face, before running off into the caverns. Whatever, he can keep it, I've got bigger things to worry about.

Namely, the vast empty spaces dotted around our fortress. I'm not exactly sure what my predecessor was going for here, but whatever it is, it seems very inefficient, and is giving the residents severe agoraphobia. There's a few more of these spaces, all seemingly contributing nothing, so I've decided to wall some off for the time being. Some residents have complained that time seems to be moving at a slower pace, and as a learned dwarf, I believe that bringing the such nauseatingly open spaces into our halls must be contributing to this phenomenon.

With that underway, I turn my attention to the rest of the fortress, and notice that somehow two and a half months have already disappeared into the ether. If I am to make use of my time as overseer, I must get a move on. After managing to find my chief miner in this rat's nest of a fortress, I lay out my grand plans for making this fortress a place worth living. However, before we can get going in earnest, the scouts call out to me, telling me that "". I was hoping this wouldn't happen. I have yet to determine how our military is organized, and the military dwarves, frankly, don't seem very forthcoming with that information. Whatever. They're fighters, I'm sure they can handle it without much guidance from me. One thing they can't seem to handle is this bridge here:

I don't know if there's another lever elsewhere, but it appears that the existing lever was destroyed. I had intended to build a new one, but I kind of forgot as the past two months rushed by me, so here we are, with at least one gaping hole into our fortress. Looks like the military dwarves will just have to do their job real well.

After pulling some random levers, I've gotten two of the exterior entrances closed (whoever put 3 entrances into the fortress needs to be slowly lowered into magma in front of their next of kin), but the aforementioned bridge remains open. I climbed up the tower myself to get a view, this can't be too bad, right?

Well, that's a fair amount of goblins. Looks like they have some beak dogs with them too, great. And there's more pouring in from deeper in the woods. Whoever thought settling here was a good idea should be dunked into magma alongside the guy who thought that three entrances was a fun idea.

As our marksdwarves open fire on the leading goblins, more goblins continue streaming towards the fortress, this time accompanied by trolls. This isn't going to go our way, is it?

The marksdwarves are only a temporary distraction, meant to hold the goblins off until our mechanic can finish connecting the bridge to our new lever. Just in case, I've moved our soldiers to the front area. Just in time too, the goblins are beginning to fall into our cage traps. All we need is a few minutes longer...

Saved by a hair, and the few that got in were dispatched with ease. This seems increasingly doable. Now to focus on the other gaping hole in our fortress.

Oh... Well then, seems as if the enemy managed to sneak through while I was distracted. Also, the dwarf meant to close that bridge is nowhere to be seen. Guess we're going to need to do this the old fashioned way. In the meantime however, it looks like one of my doctors was trapped outside. The goblins made short work of him. Rest easy Avuz. Someone's child was also caught on the roof by a couple of goblin bowmen who scaled the walls (likely using the nearby trees). She didn't last long either.

There's little time to dwell on their deaths however, as our soldiers have just managed to push the trolls out of the lower hallways. We should be able to seal off the fort and give ourselves a chance to regroup. We might be able to make it through this yet.

((I'll continue tomorrow, likely less image heavy. I don't think anything happened those first two months. I thought I paused the game and went to do some dishes, but it turns out I didn't and two months flew by. Not a huge loss though. FPS has been hovering around 10/15 the whole siege, making it a bit of a slog. Once I get some of LeftHand's massive empty spaces walled off, that should improve FPS a bit. Likewise with moving some of those stockpiles. Sorry LeftHand. I'm not walling them off completely though, but just putting forbidden doors on them, so they can be used later if you like. Most FPS loss comes from pathing, so I'll do my best to optimize things once the siege is over. It was running at about 50 before the siege though, so things could be worse.))
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 12:29:29 am by Glloyd »

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 23, 2020, 03:36:49 pm »

((Before I get going, I was rereading LeftHand's last post, and I just want to say that I strongly disagree with this:
things got bad enough with enough citizens brawling and throwing temper tantrums that I caved and used DF Hack to calm everybody the fuck down.
Using DFHack in this way takes any fun and challenge out of the game imo. Why not just use it to resurrect all the dead and kill any invaders at that point? Not cool. All fortresses fall eventually, the best we can wish for is an interesting death, rather than an FPS or interest related one.))

Year 9, Part 2

In the midst of everything, I failed to notice that one of our named glassmakers also died on the roof with those goblin bowmen. I'm not sure why there's a staircase up there, but once this is over I'm walling that off. Rest well 'Ryukan' Kengtekkud. I've had enough of these goblins lurking up there, so I sent up our own goblin squad to take care of them, which they did with relative ease. At the same time, our other squads pushed back past the depot, leaving a trail of death in their wake.

That seemed to break the resolve of the goblins, and they swiftly retreated. Another siege survived, and only a few non-military casualties. With that taken care of, there's a few things we need to do right away. First things first, this fortress needs more doors. It's too easy for goblins to just enter our fortress and stream through unopposed. Second, that roof needs to be made more secure. Third, there's some holes in parts of our fort near the surface from tree clearing, which allowed a couple goblins to get in pretty easily, so those need to be covered with floors. Finally, we need to centralize some of our important levers, and mark them more clearly for future overseers. I've also taken the liberty of paving some of the land around our archer's tower. It should prevent any further tree-related incidents,and give our crossbowdwarves better lines of sight. It also has the added benefit of using up some of the surplus mudstone we have around.

As the months tick by, I realize that I'm already halfway through my term as overseer. There is still much to do on my secret project however, so I hope to be able to finish that before the next overseer comes in and I'm back to crawling around in the mud and suturing spear wounds. In the meantime, one of our fisherdwarves has created another artifact:

The other dwarves seem to like it, but I care little for these things

As autumn rolls in, I take the time to memorialize some of our fallen from the siege this year. Our residents have also been complaining about ghosts since I took up office, so hopefully this will help put those spirits to rest. I also set about securing our steel supply. Although the large caverns left by my predecessor aren't to my liking, the vast quantities of hematite that he dug up certainly are. The fires of industry burn through the night as bar after bar of iron, pig iron, and steel roll out of the furnaces. Whatever else, I shall leave my successor with a well-equipped militia, or at least so much steel that they will never have to worry about it again.

((Time flies when you're waiting on stuff to be done and no goblins are coming to fuck things up. I'd planned on raiding, but now I'm leaning towards finishing my turn in relative peace, so I'll probably finish tonight or tomorrow.))

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
Re: Smithsoldier Year 9: Revenge of the FPS [47.04]
« Reply #206 on: May 23, 2020, 05:53:27 pm »

RIP Ryukan, who died as he lived: out of focus. :P Least he got avenged in short order.

Good work so far.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 23, 2020, 06:43:43 pm »

Honestly. I started up my save and immediately got the notification that he had died. I was very confused. Weirdly, that area isn't in the burrows, and I forbade everything up there. And yet, a bunch of dwarves with no job just went up there to loiter, before and after I killed those goblins. I don't think I'm doing a bad enough job to warrant mass suicide by goblin, but who knows.

ProjectXMark1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 23, 2020, 07:42:12 pm »

My year is approaching rapidly, it seems!  I hope I'm not going to inherit too much succession game-induced silliness. Tell me about anything that I might find surprising.

Also, I'm sorry if I asked to be dwarfed as somebody who doesn't exist. I tried finding Rîsen Mozibdodók in the save I have and I couldn't find the alleged mad mechanic. Does anybody know who (in-game) built the DAS?

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 23, 2020, 09:31:03 pm »

Rîsen Mozibdodók is still very much alive:

He isn't named after you though. I can do that if you'd like, or leave it for you to do.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24