Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we mod in Platinum blunt weapons and armour?

Yay!
- 0 (0%)
Nay!
- 0 (0%)
Maybe... (Please elaborate in a post)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 25, 2020, 03:39:38 am

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24

Author Topic: Smithsoldier, Year 12: Clothes, Madness, and Beasts (And Candy) [47.04]  (Read 58288 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Smithsoldier Year 9: Revenge of the FPS [47.04]
« Reply #210 on: May 24, 2020, 01:42:05 am »

Year 9, Part 3

Limestone is here, and with it another request for a guildhall. This time, it's the craftsdwarves who thing they're special enough to get a hall for themselves. Whatever, I'll see to putting together something to make them happy. I have a spot in mind for it, although it will have to wait until my project is complete. Soon enough, this fortress will be a place worth visiting. Regardless, the caravan showed up as normal in mid-Limestone. We bought a few odds and ends, although there's not much that we can't produce on our own at this point. Our liaison also had little to report. Seems as though things are calm in the world, for now.

I took the opportunity to sell off some of our massive surplus of anvils. We had about thirty, so they won't be missed. Nobody needs that many anvils. The next few months breeze by, without any disturbance. Sure, I accidentally caused a cave-in that broke a miner's ribs, but these are minor things. I had him good as new soon enough. Despite the lack of external stimuli, the fortress is buzzing with activity. Our blacksmiths are churning out steel weaponry and armour, so we should be more prepared for any future attacks. Likewise, our leatherworkers and clothiers are working hard on new clothes to replace some of our more threadbare articles from the mountainhomes. In slightly more interesting news, some of our miners accidentally dug into the magma sea. They avoided getting doused, and they able to wall off that passage. However, before they did, they saw a glimmer of cyan off in the distance...

Adamantine! As my year is coming to an end soon, I'll likely leave that as a challenge for my successor. As the end of the year approaches, my project is wrapping up just in time. As we were laying the last statues, Nomal (one of our engravers working on smoothing the walls) suddenly jumped up, as if possessed by some unknown force, and ran off to one of the craftdwarf workshops on the workshop level. When she returned, she was carrying an extremely ornate amulet:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Again, I really don't care about these things, so I don't know why they keep showing them to me. Although, it reminded me to give those craftsdwarves their guildhall. Anyways, before long, it is spring, and the next year is upon us. If I had only had a few more days, I could have fully completed my project, but I am happy with what I was able to get done. I can only hope that my successor can see what I was doing and finish the job. The remaining crystal glass windows and gold statues should be ready soon... But alas, that is my problem no longer. It's time to retreat to my books, and enjoy my retirement in my new quarters. So long, and good luck.

Without further ado, here is the requisite picture of the workshop:

Don't worry about the Temple of Armok being empty. I set up another gem stockpile to deal with an overflow of gems, and the dwarves started pulling the gems from there into the new stockpile. They were starting to bring them back at the end of my turn. Speaking of stockpiles, smaller versions of LeftHand's big stockpiles were set up in the workshop area. There's more space there than we'll ever need, and more ore/stone/wood than we'll ever need, so we're set for ages. You might be wondering why our cute little library is in disarray. Well, that's because it's a craftdwarves guildhall now. Why? Well, because of my project, which was building a grand library for all 10 of our books (although I got our scribes and scholars started on more towards the end, so we're up to 57 now). I've included pictures of this beast below. It's missing a few exterior bits, but it's more or less done:

As for FPS, I was getting in the 70s at the end of my turn, so around 15-20 FPS higher than when I first started, and much much higher than it was during the siege. I'd recommend not opening up any of LeftHand's giant mines, unless you're planning on atom smashing the stone in there before sealing them back up again. I got most of the useful ore out of there anyways, and we have more stone than any fort will ever use, so there should be no need to open them. Gotta save those frames!

I'll leave you with the stocks screen. Don't worry about the drinks situation, I have our brewers working on it. I forgot about it because I'm so used to automating drink production in my forts at the start of the game, then I looked at it shortly before my turn ended and realized we had 10 drinks left. Yikes. It should be under control now though, and we should be in good shape on all other necessities. It was a relatively slow turn, besides the siege, but I'm okay with that. It gave me the chance to clean up/beautify the fort, and secure it more thoroughly. No need to worry about any more climbing goblins! Fun note, when I was cutting down the trees around the archer's tower, a goblin corpse fell out. I guess he got launched off the roof by our goblin squad and got stuck in the branches on the way down. There's plenty to do for my successors though: get adamantine, start raiding our goblin neighbours, raid the rest of the world to fill the library with books, build some more megaprojects, etc. Good luck to my successors!

Save:
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15088
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 01:55:53 am by Glloyd »

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 24, 2020, 03:19:40 am »

Excellent work, Glloyd! That library looks brilliant, and should help prevent any further tantrums, or at least provide some facilities for the dwarves of the fort. All the gold and statue decorations should provide a pretty good mood boost to them. Also, good to hear the FPS has improved - made that 'giant mines' mistake on my first fort. That didn't end well...

Spoiler: Okay, confession time (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 03:39:54 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 24, 2020, 03:26:24 am »

I was honestly surprised nobody had dug for adamantine yet, considering we're now 9 years in.

ProjectXMark1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smithsoldier Year 10 [47.04]
« Reply #213 on: May 24, 2020, 11:51:14 am »

I have the save, but I'm having trouble installing Phoebus - LNP skips over them, saying that it would have broken the raws. Is there a way around this? Searching around doesn't seem to bring up anything.

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 24, 2020, 02:45:13 pm »

I have the save, but I'm having trouble installing Phoebus - LNP skips over them, saying that it would have broken the raws. Is there a way around this? Searching around doesn't seem to bring up anything.

I had that too, just go ahead and start it up anyways. It'll look a little different, but that's okay.

Excellent work, Glloyd! That library looks brilliant, and should help prevent any further tantrums, or at least provide some facilities for the dwarves of the fort. All the gold and statue decorations should provide a pretty good mood boost to them. Also, good to hear the FPS has improved - made that 'giant mines' mistake on my first fort. That didn't end well...

Spoiler: Okay, confession time (click to show/hide)

In my defense, I saw that we were running out of hematite and panicked. Hope you all have had fun mocking me over my mistake, lol. But good on you for surviving the year, Glloyd!

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 24, 2020, 02:59:55 pm »

It's all good, I think we've all made that mistake at some point. Although that was the way to play, back in the pre z-level days. I was able to get most of the hematite out of there and into ththe workshop level, so we should be set on hematite for a long time, and blocking them off has negated most of the fps hit (although getting rid of all the mudstone in there would help further). One thing we are short on is charcoal, I ran out partway through the year because I was smelting and smithing so much, so all that wood you chopped down also came in handy.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 24, 2020, 04:31:22 pm »

Nice job consolidating and repairing everything! And I didn't want to say it outright, since it's a fairly unexpected consequence and no new player could be expected to predict the outcome, but yeah, large gaping rooms dug out for no immediate purpose often bog down FPS. In every succession fortress where someone goes ahead and mass designates, the place always gets bogged down with hauling and FPS issues. If DF has a faux pas, that would be it.

Third, there's some holes in parts of our fort near the surface from tree clearing, which allowed a couple goblins to get in pretty easily, so those need to be covered with floors.

I even warned you guys about this! lol

So be it. Stone and wood for days, and the holes in the roof are easily fixed. NBD. It seems we're getting a yearly siege now, which is both wonderful and terrifying. My only real concern is that hauling all the dead goblins and beak dogs will waste a huge amount of time unless we figure out a way to quickly dump it into lava, or atom smash it. I would also suggest fighting in the caravan entrance hall from now on, just to save on the time spent walking to and from the battlefield post-fight.

Also, my jeweled temple has been looted! Death to the thieves!!

Things for the next overseer to not forget (since it seems there is a distinct lack of historical research performed by these new leaders. .  are we doomed to repeat the mistakes of our past?):

1. There is a dumping pit in the center of our workshops, it's a little hut with a bridge and a lever. Use this! Save FPS! Huzzah!

2. Moving the magma up to the workshops is probably the better idea, instead of moving the workshops down to the magma. We have a LOT of junk and the magma is tricky, but ultimately faster to move.

3. The entrance lever to the caravan / depot hall is immediately south of the depot itself, at the end of a mined out vein. Lure a few gobbos in, then close it up and murder them.

4. Our military is badass, but if we have them fight too much they might go insane.

5. Turn the waterfall back on! It was only a 3-5 fps drop, and it was giving our dwarves a heckin' good mood while it was running. I'm not sure what exactly went wrong but I suspect it was just turned off accidentally. Better than DFhacking away our pain. Also I spent my whole second turn on that thing lol

Nicely done everyone and I'm looking forward to the next installment.

ProjectXMark1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smithsoldier Year 10: Arm_Ok Watches Over Us [47.04]
« Reply #217 on: May 24, 2020, 04:34:27 pm »

Ok then, I've got on with my turn, despite the graphical oddities.

---

Journal of Rîsen 'XMark' Swallowclasp, 1st Granite 184

Arm_Ok has favoured me this day, that I be granted the honour of overseering Smithsoldier.

I confess that I may have pulled some strings with 'Amara' to sponsor my nomination, but that's besides the point.

I have a year to run the fortress as I see fit. I take up office and begin my survey of this fortress immediately.

Ok, never mind. Rovod(he's dead, it was some other dwarf) just burst into my office, informing me that the goblins have come for us. Again. Where on earth is the lever for the front gate?

Hopefully everyone got inside before the gate went up, as I gathered the troops.

4th Granite 184
The army is as ready as it will every be. All three melee squads have ordered to the gate, and I needed to do something, so I let them loose through the gate. Go forth, dwarves.

Spoiler: The Army Goes Forth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Invaders (click to show/hide)

6th Granite 184

The siege is broken. The goblins and trolls are either retreating, dead, or caged. Arm_Ok the Worldsmith has taken his own, though. The former overseer 'QD', one of the first to charge to goblins, is dead; skull caved in by a goblin's morningstar. He will not be forgotten. I just hope we have the tombs available for them.

I need to get back to work. I have a fortress to manage, but that siege nearly had me in conniptions. I need few days to get my head on straight. I'll send out Rovod and(dead and buried years ago) Rimtar to prepare some reports on the fortress, and spend some quality time with Fath.

This is certified to be the true account of
╔═════╗
║RÎSEN║
║MOZIB║
║DODÓK║
╚═════╝

---

I wasn't expecting to be hit with a siege on the very first day of the year! It's a shame about QD. Do you want to be re-dwarfed?

This is the first time that I have ever participated in a succession game, how is my first report? It's a bit short, but the siege wasn't what I was planning on writing about.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 06:10:50 pm by ProjectXMark1 »

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 24, 2020, 04:47:12 pm »

Report isn't too bad, though I must ask: Was QD the only one we lost, or did some of the other military guys bite it?

Also, Goblin Claus either really likes us or really hates his Elves, considering the amount of gifts he's sending us.

As for re-dorfing, go ahead! Speaking of that, what're the other ex-Overseer Dwarves looking like?
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

ProjectXMark1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 24, 2020, 06:09:01 pm »

Report isn't too bad, though I must ask: Was QD the only one we lost, or did some of the other military guys bite it?

Also, Goblin Claus either really likes us or really hates his Elves, considering the amount of gifts he's sending us.

As for re-dorfing, go ahead! Speaking of that, what're the other ex-Overseer Dwarves looking like?

Dwarves other than QD died, I think a few civvies who were stuck outside might have bit it too. I'm not sure if there's an easy way to tell which dwarves died when, so I can't say for sure.

Here's a report on all the still-living former overseers:
  • Amara: Ecstatic. She is currently storing seeds, and needs beer and family.
  • DwarvenLord: Stark raving mad, still stuck in her box. Restless, lonely, and worried, and apparently needs a dressing. Request form medical attention denied by overseer's decree. Still, XMark may be persuaded to remove the wall...
  • Glloyd: Fine, currently getting themselves a new tunic. Needs to see their friends and family, and practice their skill (that should change soon - they're a doctor and we have one injured dwarf that needs diagnosis).
  • LeftHand: Ecstatic, though unfocused due to too many things to count. Is also, according to Dwarf Therapist, a Competant UNKNOWN (Rusty). Nothing seems odd in-game though.
  • Salmeuk: Ecstatic and Thirsty, and is currently rectifying the latter. Was apparently haunted by their dead pet at one point last year, probably got a glimpse of the year's siege because they saw a corpse during the last week.
  • Zon (who?): "What the f*** did you just say about me, you little b****? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Cobalt Spikes, and I have been involved in numerous not-so-secret raids on the Evils of Perplexing, and I have thirty confirmed kills. I am trained in dwarf warfare and I am the top speardwarf in all of the Bridled Pulley. You are nothing to me but just another-" moving on.
  • Monom (who?): Quite content. Saw a fine door, but needs to see friends and family.
Everyone important is in good health, much like the rest of the fortress. Apart from QD, of course, he's very dead.

XMark is ecstatic, but is still recovering from the shock of the siege (he saw, like, seven corpses); his friend Rimtar is running errands while XMark prays to Arm_Ok (though, outwardly, it's to Ethír Embracebrunch) and plays with his cat ("I feel fond."). With the first QD's death, XMark, Rimtar, and DwarvenLord are the only three left of the seven founding dwarves.

The dwarfing list ought to be updated with Amaru et. al., by the way. Does anyone have any re-dwarfing preferences?

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 24, 2020, 06:17:04 pm »

I doubt my dwarf will have any problems with sieges. I turned off hauling for her and a couple of the other crippled dwarves because by the time they crawled to and from the hauling destination they were stressed/hungry/thirsty.

Edit: as for levers, I consolidated all the levers in the workshop area, and named them. To the right of the staircase, you should see four levers. They all are named, and control the various exterior bridges.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 06:19:06 pm by Glloyd »

ProjectXMark1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 24, 2020, 06:30:47 pm »

I doubt my dwarf will have any problems with sieges. I turned off hauling for her and a couple of the other crippled dwarves because by the time they crawled to and from the hauling destination they were stressed/hungry/thirsty.

Edit: as for levers, I consolidated all the levers in the workshop area, and named them. To the right of the staircase, you should see four levers. They all are named, and control the various exterior bridges.

Yeah, I found the levers. What exactly are the "swamp bridges?" I figured out the middle two, but neither of far-left or far-right levers. Is the left one connected to the tiny bridge that can block the depot corridor?

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 24, 2020, 07:59:53 pm »

If I recall correctly, yes, along with the bridge in the top left of the depot. It should be labeled workshop bridges or something similar. Swamp bridges are the ones in the top left of the map, in that little hut on the surface. I forgot that I left them open, I was using them to atom smash the corpses and junk from the siege during my turn.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 25, 2020, 05:10:09 am »

Dorfing list should be updated - would've finished it last night, but had to get to bed. If possible, can QD be redorfed as a Speardwarf under the name 'QD2'?

Good to see the rest of them are still alive and kicking. Hopefully, they'll stay that way for a while, though QD biting it was probably inevitable.

As for DwarvenLord... While her player did say not to provide anything to her under the reason of Dwarven tradition, I would agree with at least trying to keep her sane/not fully SRM for now.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for being here, my time machine broke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 25, 2020, 01:17:40 pm »

• DwarvenLord: Stark raving mad, still stuck in her box. Restless, lonely, and worried, and apparently needs a dressing. Request form medical attention denied by overseer's decree. Still, XMark may be persuaded to remove the wall...

Perfect.
And thus was the dwarven meatshield invented.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 24