Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we mod in Platinum blunt weapons and armour?

Yay!
- 0 (0%)
Nay!
- 0 (0%)
Maybe... (Please elaborate in a post)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 25, 2020, 03:39:38 am

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24

Author Topic: Smithsoldier, Year 12: Clothes, Madness, and Beasts (And Candy) [47.04]  (Read 58904 times)

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for being here, my time machine broke.
    • View Profile
Re: Smithsoldier Year 10 [47.04]
« Reply #225 on: May 25, 2020, 01:19:00 pm »

• DwarvenLord: Stark raving mad, still stuck in her box. Restless, lonely, and worried, and apparently needs a dressing. Request form medical attention denied by overseer's decree. Still, XMark may be persuaded to remove the wall...

Perfect. I do not care if she's gone completely insane- in fact, Going stark raving mad is much better than any of the other options- though I'm going to have to interpret it differently.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 10:45:59 am by DwarvenLord »
And thus was the dwarven meatshield invented.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
Re: Smithsoldier Year 10: Armok Watches Us [47.04]
« Reply #226 on: May 25, 2020, 03:55:30 pm »

Okay, considering the poll is split with 2 yes and 2 maybes, are there any final objections to me putting the Candy Spoiler in the thread?
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

ProjectXMark1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smithsoldier Year 10: Arm_ok Watches Us [47.04]
« Reply #227 on: May 25, 2020, 04:19:00 pm »

Journal of Rīsen 'XMark' Swallowclasp, 8th Granite 184

I've got myself together after the surprise siege, so back to work! The last of the invaders have fled, so I ordered the bridges lowered. Rimtar's assessment of the fortress is coming along, and he tells me it should be ready for review by tomorrow.

10th Granite 184

Life as a mechanic has not allowed me to grasp the full complexity of Smithsolider. And I will swear by Arm_Ok:

This will not do.

Loose stone lies everywhere in the fortress, in the stockpiles, in the bedrooms, in the corridors, in the giant empty spaces that one of my predecessors decided to quarry out, for some reason. More stone, apparently, as if we have a lack of it. There are 10000 cubic Bomreks of stone, pervading everything. There's a phyllite boulder just sitting around in my room, and I'm off lightly; the good doctor Īton at the end of our level is drowning in leftover stone.

Stockpiles are placed each and every which way in the workshop level, each one seeming storing everything under the sun. I have no clue about how Mosus, our manager and bookkeeper, keeps track of anything in this fortress.

Arm_Ok told me once that empty spaces and clutter slow down the passage of time, as has happened over the last two years. Perhaps these literal time sinks can be put to use.

The Trade Depot is open to the outside world, which, despite the best efforts of our previous overseers, has let goblins in on at least one occasion. It's a good thing our military has been trained so extensively, otherwise we'd be at their mercy. All of us would be dead, or taken prisoner to have our beards burnt. Probably the latter.

The upper levels, where the farmers reside, are a labyrinth of intersecting stairways and narrow passages. I cannot fathom how anyone could possibly navigate them. Some of them just terminate in holes in the floor.

Our dining hall seats eight. In a fortress of over one hundred.

Spoiler: Undersized dining hall (click to show/hide)

None of the military squads are at full strength, and we'll need to be ready for the next siege.

We have no jail - how on earth are we supposed to enforce the law?

This. will. not. do.

Still, can't get mad at the situation, nobody knows Him like I do; they're not gifted with his guidance. He, Arm_Ok, Machine God, Blacksmith of Worlds, will lead me through this chaos to calmer shores.

12th Granite 184

My prayers to Arm_Ok were answered last night. He granted me a vision. I saw stone pile upon stone, bin pile upon bed upon coffin, dumped over and through each other into kaleidoscopes of wood and rock. I know what I must do, and have begun drawing up plans. I need to send word to Mosus to get some cheap minecarts put together.

I have also written up a list of thoroughfares through the fortress, particularly the large open spaces of the workshop levels. Designated "high traffic" areas ought to make the dwarves spend less time thinking about how to get from A to B.

I've been thinking about the lack of public facilities, and I believe I have an answer:

15th Granite 184

Noted that a few dwarves had, somehow, fallen into the moat at some point. Ordered the access tunnel opened, and made a note to replace the wall with a bridge to avoid further accidents. Everyone seems to be following the newly designated pathways. Time will tell if they succeed in helping the fortress run smoothly.

16th Granite 184

The prototype "quantum stockpile" seems successful, though the lack of flux stone in the feeder stockpile isn't allowing a proper demonstration... I performed the mechanical rituals to build another, for the hematite stockpile.

Spoiler: QSP #2 (click to show/hide)

20th Granite 184

The hematite stockpile is set up and working exactly as Arm_Ok told me; the stones, after falling out of the minecart, just... blend into each other. We can still see all of them, Mosus should have no trouble counting them, but they all just happen to occupy the same position in space. He who forges the gods be praised, our storage problems can be solved!

26th Granite 184

We've ran out of flux stone. I'm going to see about digging up some more if we have any. I've also began rationalising the storage of stone furniture; I'm setting up another QSP to store it all next to the mason's shops. The feeder stockpile alone was enough to start pulling clutter out of the workshops. I've been too busy resetting cage traps at the gate to perform the stockpile rituals, but once that's done I plan on making this QSP the sole repository for large stone goods in the fort.

27th Granite 184

I heard the usual monthly screams from DwarvenLord's cell. A punctuation to the quiet unceasing murmuring that gets through the wall.

Cleanup of the siege is continuing, after I remembered to release the confinement notice last week. The sheer quantity of goblins slain has put me on edge.

These new stockpiles are making it difficult to cover up my... unorthodox spiritual beliefs. The atom smasher was skirting the line as-is, and the fact that it never really worked properly allowed me to keep a lid on them. I don't think that I can remain in hiding for much longer...

This is certified to be the true account of
╔═════╗
║RĪSEN║
║MOZIB║
║DODÓK║
╚═════╝

---

The sheer quantity of stone and furniture just lying around got on my nerves IRL, so I decided to remediate the issue. I've played a bit further than this, but I don't want to leave anyone watching behind. Expect a continuation into Slate (and beyond, as I hope the months will compress a bit more) tomorrow.

I don't think I will be the one to poke at the cotton candy. I've never worked with the stuff before, so I think I'll leave it to my successor. If I find the time, I will at least try to gain access to it.

I was getting around about 30 FPS, even with the quarry open. Is that an improvement?

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 26, 2020, 07:39:43 am »

I'm absolutely loving this thread to the point I'm tempted to take a turn but I have never done a fortress this large and I wouldn't breach the adamantine with our currently er...suboptimal military.
No, our goals lie elsewhere. To reclaim and conquer our lands from the goblins! Blood for the blood god, beer for the ultimate drunkard!

I'm also at a bit of a loss what to do if I had a turn x3
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 09:31:05 am by recon1o6 »
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 26, 2020, 01:11:46 pm »

DO IT. TAKE A TURN ON THE DORF SIDE.

Seriously though, the best thing you can do is just not die. Granted, that can be harder than one might think. But I think you should give it a try.

ProjectXMark1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 26, 2020, 05:05:19 pm »

Here we are, Slate and Felsite! Putting these things together is hard work, and I missed a few opportunities to take pictures, but I hope it's worth it.

---

Journal of Rīsen 'XMark' Swallowclasp, 5th Slate 184

A weaver reports ungodly noises from the caverns, said something about a forgotten beast.

I have no clue how they got that description, the caverns are sealed off. I will leave it be, the military isn't in good shape right now. It's a good thing that my attention was drawn to the lower levels, as I found a small hole in the wall.

7th Slate 184

Found where we got all of our flux from. I've designated a new quarry, and a path up there so hopefully there won't be too many problems with "pathfinding" (as Arm_Ok has revealed to me). I've also found the time to assemble and consecrate the stone and stone furniture QSPs. Those should slowly clean up the stone and furniture that is lying everywhere in the fort.

Spoiler: A modest quarry (click to show/hide)

10th Slate 184

Whatever died in the "Temple of Armok", it's stinking up a storm. I'll put "new atom smasher" on the list of things to do w.r.t. tidying things up around here.

20th Slate 184

Quiet month so far, the beast hasn't given us any trouble. Order for more wheelbarrows to speed up stone hauling is almost done, and production of gold tables for the new dining hall is about to begin. Nineteen dwarves arrived yesterday, we are now 160 working dwarves strong, with five children.

I also have Stodir, the fort's other mechanic, helping me put the quantum stockpiles together. She's working on the wood pile right now.

26th Slate 184

Wood QSP operational, and some new citizenship petitions were made. I accepted three and didn't really bother keeping track of the others. Arm_Ok told me that too many minds in one place can stretch out time as well. I will consult the past overseers on this matter, however.

3rd Felsite 184

The new wood stockpile is most effective. All loose logs on-site are being brought down to be stored in one of Arm_Ok's blessings. Also, furnishing of the new dining hall has begun in earnest.

I can't help but notice the remarkably poor state of several of the places of worship in Smithsoldier. Most are just bare "rooms" (if you can call them that) with no space for services. Thankfully there seem to be a few rooms down in the workshop level that look like perfect sites to move them to. They'd certainly be easier to find down there, anyway.
Spoiler: Temples (click to show/hide)

5th Felsite 184

I discovered another atom smasher, while surveying the upper refuse stockpile. I can't remember ever preparing this one myself, but it would not be beyond Stodir to recall the proper obeisances to Arm_Ok. I believe a lever nearby to be the control, so it's time for an experiment!

8th Felsite 184

The lever worked just as I thought, and I am currently setting up an automatic dumping system similar to my gift from Arm_Ok. Pulling the lever next to our stills (marked as operating the atom smasher) every so often should be enough to keep the garbage situation under control. Also, we need more gold. Thankfully, it's not that hard to come by.

18th Felsite 184

I reorganised the refuse stockpile situation. The shell stockpile, north of the craftdwarf's shops, was repurposed into a general hard animal parts stockpile, and been blessed by Arm_Ok with infinite space. Most of the fort has been doing nothing expect hauling bones and shells since then. I intend to put some bone carvers to use, making things out of the sheer quantity of hard refuse we have lying around.

All of those dwarves are hauling shells and bones.

Or, perhaps, it would be better to say lying in one spot.

Spoiler: Shells for days (click to show/hide)

1st Hematite 184

Much has transpired since my last entry.

The dwarves are still hauling bones and shells, mostly, though I forsee that we'll be done on that front by the end of this month.

Hauling, however, is a different story. A quantum stockpile for wooden furniture has been established, which is already clearing the stockpile outside of goods. Just today I wrote that the various furniture stockpiles scattered through the workshop level were to give their wooden contents to the QSP's feeder. Similar links have been established between the wood stockpile feeder and the giant wood stockpile next door.

The wood QSP is working as intended

As we have plenty of space for finished goods on the workshop level, I removed two stockpiles by the front gate. Those things were asking to be stolen from!

The roads around the fortress exterior, designed to prevent trees from sabotaging our defences, would be done by now if not for some pesky logs in the way (Rimtar has just informed me that they have been cleared. Accordingly, construction has been unsuspended.)

Gold mining operations have been expanded, as planned.

Spoiler: Gold Mining (click to show/hide)

The first phase of furnishing the dining hall is nearly complete, so I have freed the upper hall and removed its stockpiles, as our dining capacity has been expanded significantly and is set to grow further.

Spoiler: New Dining Hall (click to show/hide)

In response to a small housing deficit (and my general dislike of the fortress' upper levels - so messy!) I have set about expanding the radial housing complex with more rooms. Only one floor has been designated for now, but future overseers may wish to copy the pattern.

Spoiler: New Bedrooms (click to show/hide)

The coming months promise to be great indeed. Hopefully more facilities can be moved deeper into the fortress, so no future overseers have to deal with that maze.

Still, Arm_Ok will demand that his gifts be repaid, he is already implying such in my dreams. The current temple to his... fleshier representation is woefully insufficient for the task. Amara tells me that to use it would invite death into our walls. Time to draw up more plans, I think, and see if we can at least get at the adamantine...

╔═════╗
║RĪSEN║
║MOZIB║
║DODÓK║
╚═════╝

---

Things are looking tidier in the fortress already! Hopefully the atom smasher I've found will let us deal with the refuse that's still lying around. I have reservations about automating it as the drop is only a single z-level.

I've been averaging between 40 and 50 FPS, even with two of the giant rooms open, so I think my traffic designations are working.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 26, 2020, 05:33:34 pm »

Regarding marble, you shouldn't need to mine much more. I moved about 400 into the workshop area later in my turn. It might be forbidden accidentally, so take a look. There's no way we should be going through that much marble unless you're making a ton of marble crafts or something. I'd believe it if it was a pig iron shortage though, I did not make enough

ProjectXMark1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 26, 2020, 05:34:45 pm »

Regarding marble, you shouldn't need to mine much more. I moved about 400 into the workshop area later in my turn. It might be forbidden accidentally, so take a look. There's no way we should be going through that much marble unless you're making a ton of marble crafts or something. I'd believe it if it was a pig iron shortage though, I did not make enough

I'll have a look tomorrow!

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 27, 2020, 03:33:06 am »

Oooh, that one's mine! There's a reason the garbage pile is directly above it. (edit: and yes, that's the attached lever; left a {N}ote on it and everything)

Also on the subject of garbage - if you must wreck leftover furniture, do make sure it's of bad quality. Personally, I just sell it.

Stone will probably come in handy; as enormously much as it seems, it's my experience from past forts that you never have enough stone (or blocks). So if the quarry can be sealed away, best do so.

FPS looks amazing, by my standards; unless it drops below 20, I consider it fine.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 04:09:09 am by StrikaAmaru »
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 27, 2020, 06:57:19 pm »

For future reference, you can rename levers and whatnot. The shortcut is ctrl+n when on the {Q} building page. Saves leaving a note that dummies like me will miss during a siege, haha.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 29, 2020, 05:27:52 am »

Okay, with that out of the way:
  • Good to hear about all the improvements that you've made! Those QSPs will certainly come in handy. The bedrooms and redone dining hall are looking quite good, too.
  • How many atom smashers do we have at the moment?
  • Keep going for the flux stone - the more, the better, due to all the steel bits that can be made.

Good luck.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 29, 2020, 05:07:25 pm »

Screw it, I'll take a turn at overseership.
I'm not the most experienced overseer (Only found adamantine twice) but I'm competent enough to build a drowning chamber

I should be qualified enough considering I hate elves, goblins, elves, nobles, elves and undwarfy fortresses and dislike destroying forts unless they are elven/goblin/humans that piss off the fort

Unless I missed it, or it happens in the current overseer's turn, I have in mind a project to make my mark on the fortress, something every dwarf can appreciate.
Though I'm not 100% sure I can complete it or find space for it, but nothing going to stop me trying. Not even Armok himself!
might go on break and share a drink if he turns up though
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 05:12:30 pm by recon1o6 »
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

ProjectXMark1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 31, 2020, 02:11:44 pm »

Here's another update, the whole summer of 184!

---

Journal of Rīsen 'XMark' Swallowclasp, 2nd Hematite 184

Not long after I finished my records of yesterday's events, I received word from Rimtar, that

Alåth Dakostirid, Woodcrafter, has been possessed!

He's set up shop in the craftdwarves' section and has been frantically gathering materials in a frenetic trance all day.

On an unrelated note, I have ordered the miners to dig a tunnel around the magma to reach the adamantine deposit we discovered.

6th Hematite 184

All eyes have been on Alåth, and he finished gathering materials today.

7th Hematite 184

Spirits have been low for a handful of our citizens. This goblin lost it this morning. Several chambers of "Temple Row" as I've called it, have been smoothed, so I saw to moving the temples down today.

As it turns out, only two of the zones up there were listed as places of worship in the first place. All of them have been removed and the temples there relocated to Temple Row. While I was at it, I made set up a non-denominational temple to that goblin's deity, which might help get him in higher spirits.

[This is the view in the zones menu]

I also decided to impose a naming convention on locations whose owners decided to name them something only tangentially related to their function, like - for instance - "The Glacial Fins". I hope this will make it easier to tell locations apart, as I can only see their numbers growing in the future.

9th Hematite 184

Alåth came out of his trance today, with this.

Very good!

Looking over Rimtar's survey, I found that our hospital has no storage space for medical supplies. I put out an order for some coffers to be set up.

12th Hematite 184

I sent out orders today to dig a tunnel to reach the adamantine, to survey the deposit and - if deemed safe - excavate it.

A human caravan arrived today, and our broker - Udil - met with a guild representative to discuss trade agreements. All in all, a pleasant exchange. Seeds, clothing, but mostly musical instruments were requested of them.

The hospital's coffers are now in place, as well.

The adamantine tunnel continues to be dug out.

15th Hematite 184

Digging out the next ring of radial houses has finished. Smoothing will wait until we have reached the adamantine.

16th Hematite 184

Limulokun Kasbenenkos is missing from its proper place!

I think we might need to beef up the fortress' security against thieves. I will put "artifact vault" on the list of things to plan out.

21st Hematite 184

A few more citizenship petitions came by my office over the last day or two, all denied. Smithsoldier remains closed to non-dwarven applicants.

The adamantine access tunnel is, if the miners' judgement is sound, due south of the deposit. I sent instructions down to push north slowly.

Emptying the loose furniture and wood stockpiles continues at a rate of Dastots, now that all the bones and shells are clear.

22nd Hematite 184

I got too focused on the tunnelling efforts, and almost forgot about the caravan! I told Udil to get down there and trade off the weapons that our dwarves cannot use and see about getting some more books for the library, along with more clothing. It doesn't hurt to have a stock of fresh clothes, as it's such a pain to issue orders to make more.

23rd Hematite 184

Trading went well, according to Udil! He managed to get all the books and clothing they had. It took sweetening with a steel short sword, but I'll take it. We have an abundance of steel gear around the fortress, one short sword is no major loss.

Orders also went out today to make bone and shell crafts. I feel that this may be one of our major exports for the next decade.

7th Malachite 184

We got to the adamantine by the end of Hematite. I confess that, without Arm_Ok's caution, I may have ordered it be excavated. He warned of horrors hidden within the beautiful metal, and it did not take me long to get the picture. I put a dwarf - one Libash Helmhonoured - to the task of tunnelling around the deposit, and the rest of the mining crew was put to work smoothing the new bedrooms. I will not extract the metal this year.

I decided to take precautions against these horrors from escaping, and I have commissioned the first of several bridges to be built to defend against an incursion.

10th Malachite 184

First adamantine level couldn't get around the magma, ordered Libash to tunnel upwards and try again.

13th Malachite 184

Libash got hungry, shift change for one Kikrost Younginks! Seven migrants arrived two days ago.

15th Malachite 184

While planning the doors for the new housing, I found that somebody had mismeasured and excavated two of the new rooms too far to the north by one whole Bomrek. This will not do.

24th Malachite 184

Another shift change on the Adamantine Works, this time for Fikod Canyontrust. The next level has been carved out, and we're going to push up as far as we can. Any further down hits the magma. I may not want to risk releasing the "horrors", but I'm willing to risk tunnelling up into something less immediately dangerous.

1st Galena 184

Fikod needed a drink, gave him leave and prepared to select another dwarf for adamantine duty. I took the time to see how the other projects are going.

The bedroom situation is being resolved post-haste:

Our dwarves have been tackling the wood stockpiles with great gusto:

Spoiler: A stream of dwarves (click to show/hide)

3rd Galena 184

Eral Odmomuz, Blacksmith is stumbling around obliviously!

Poor Eral, he's seen the dead over a hundred times in the last season. Granite's siege still hasn't been cleared up, the invaders' dead lie outside the gate even now. We have all been a bit busy tidying up other areas, I suppose.

Some good news, though: that bedroom problem has been sorted out!

Spoiler: Realigned bedrooms (click to show/hide)

10th Galena 184

Furnishing the new bedrooms continues, though we are a little low on gold and microcline furniture. I'll make a note to queue up some more. Perhaps I will make gold cabinets a right for all citizens of Smithsoldier...

14th Galena 184

Third level of the adamantine survey is complete, up once again!

1st Limestone 184

Autumn has come, and things have progressed significantly through the latter half of Galena.

The wood and furniture stockpiles have cleared up immensely. Arm_Ok's blessed stockpiles have taken most of the wood in the fortress, and so I removed the large stockpiles of wood and divided up the old furniture stockpile. Temple Row has been smoothed completely, and I have just designated paths to each temple, through areas where the furniture stockpile once lay. Some columns to hold the ceiling up have been commissioned as well, which have the added effect of being prettier to look at in plan view.

The bedrooms would probably all be furnished by now, if we had the specific items available. I definitely need to put an order out for more.

Here's the adamantine survey at its current level of progress. The shaft-like deposit is showing a few signs of tapering off, but I suspect it rises for at least a few more z-levels.

I took the time to look at some more detailed maps, and one can't help but wonder why QD chose this site, considering that we're several days and half a goblin civilisation away from our homeland.

Still, he's dead and buried, so it's not like I can ask. As a matter of fact, I cannot fathom why he seemed to think we were on a mission from the mountainhomes, or why anyone would think that. We are the mountainhomes!

The Bridled Pulley, the one and only dwarven civilisation in a world of goblins. Population: Smithsoldier + 1 dwarf.

My year as overseer is half-done, and I believe that - if progress continues - I am going to leave the fortress in a much better position than where it started.

╔═════╗
║RĪSEN║
║MOZIB║
║DODÓK║
╚═════╝

---

This took a bit longer to put together than I expected; I decided to take pictures as I played and write things up afterwards. In case you're wondering, that map and little report on the Bridled Pulley are from Legends Viewer, from a save (~ the year 180) that I copied and retired a while ago. That's why the population of the Bridled Pulley is less than Smithsolider's current population.

I will play through Autumn tomorrow. Hopefully the next wait won't be for as long!

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 05, 2020, 10:56:09 am »

> "I will play through Autumn tomorrow. Hopefully the next wait won't be for as long!"
Lol?
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

ProjectXMark1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 05, 2020, 02:59:55 pm »

Unexpected personal issues slowed me down again, as well as some inspiration that will be clear at the end of this update. I hope the wait will be worth it!

---

Journal of Rīsen 'XMark' Swallowclasp, 2nd Limestone 184

I inspected the military over the past two days, and found it surprisingly well-equipped - I was not expecting full steel armour given how recently we started production, but perhaps that's selling us short.

I assigned the barracks below the Jewel Temple as a training area for our melee squads, as they certainly didn't seem to be doing much training before I'm not convinced that anyone actually gave them a place to train.

I began the second phase of furnishing the new bedrooms and dining hall today, sending out some work orders for gold tables and microcline cabinets.

Right then, I suppose I should get back to -

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

Again!? And so soon as well! Time to put out a siege alert, and send word to The Ochre Bolts to get up to the tower and begin picking them off.

5th Limestone 184

The Ochre Bolts are in position and have begun picking off the goblins advancing on our walls.

Spoiler: Marksdwarves in action (click to show/hide)

6th Limestone 184

Eral Odmomuz, Blacksmith is throwing a tantrum!

Now is not the time!

7th Limestone 184

The military is now gathered (as much as they can) behind the gate, so I gave the order for them to sally forth, and kill any goblin, troll, or beak dog that dares attempt the gate.

Spoiler: Charge! (click to show/hide)

As the bulk of the besieging force has now moved north, the Ochre Bolts have been repositioned to the northwest patrol route, through some of them have very odd ideas about what constitutes patrolling.

The dwarves in the barracks are pacing around, seemingly tracing part of the patrol route.

8th Limestone 184

Arm_Ok scrap us all, the military just deactivated!

Spoiler: Military incompetance (click to show/hide)

Never mind about the assault, then.

9th Limestone 184

The military has reactivated, after the change in orders. We're going out!

11th Limestone 184

The past two days have been a bloodbath. Goblins are dying in their droves (ours and the enemy's) and our other squads are sustaining heavy losses. I'm raising the gate again in case we cannot hold them off. Whoever survives the battle, will survive the battle.

13th Limestone 184

The siege is broken. Most of the military was wiped out, anyone who was still behind the fortress gates when they were raised for the second time survived. All others were killed. The dwarf named Zon died fighting. That includes three marksdwarves who sallied while the gate was open instead of setting up in the tower.

The support of the marksdwarves was undoubtedly key to victory; many of them have increased their kill counts significantly

Spoiler: The Surviving Military (click to show/hide)

There are still a few stragglers stuck in the moat, so I had someone unlock the moat access door. One enterprising goblin ran straight into a cage trap immediately afterwards.

Spoiler: Trapped goblin (click to show/hide)

I need a rest.

14th Limestone 184

In a feat of extraordinarily good timing, the dwarven caravan has arrived. I can only imagine what they were thinking as several dozen goblins fled the site.

15th Limestone 184

mudstone door destroyed by Stāsost āxstutstosbub, Troll.

I can see this going swimmingly for everyone involved.

16th Limestone 184

Now that the danger of the siege has passed, I ordered the gates opened and lifted the siege alert. However, it seems that the goblin bowman that was mauled by Arm_Ok's wrath survived the ordeal, and is now bothering every single dwarf that passes through the gate. I hope he expires of his injuries soon.

20th Limestone 184

Turns out I had the wrong lever pulled and all our dwarves were using the trade entrance. This has been rectified.

21st Limestone 184

The goblin is still in the moat. This is a sample of what Rimtar has been sending to me for the last several days:

Spoiler: Spam (click to show/hide)

I'm opening the moat bridge and setting the Silvery Shanks on that damned goblin.

23rd Limestone 184

The outpost liaison managed to get to the mayor today, and conducted a meeting.

I ordered him to negotiate for more seeds, dye, instruments, and gypsum plaster.

All in all, a productive exchange.

25th Limestone 184

The goblin got put down today. Arm_Ok be praised!

1st Sandstone 184

Burials of the dead continue apace. I have been using the old tombs in the upper levels, for lack of anywhere better. Most of them were half-finished and left undesignated. Perhaps I will find the time to plan out a proper graveyard.

I need a rest, and a long time to think...

5th Sandstone 184

Rimtar has been running the fortress for the last few days. I have been in my room, calling out to Arm_Ok, seeking his guidance on things to come. Yesterday, He spoke to me, and burned this vision into my mind. I know now what I must do, to repay his gifts.

For their wars of extinction against all dwarves, the blood of goblins will grease the gears of the Machine God, Arm_Ok! When this temple is complete, and our army rebuilt, we will carve a great scar in The Evils of Perplexing, and reclaim our lands through blood and steel!

This new temple may also serve as a worthy site to contain an artefact vault, as well.

╔═════╗
║RĪSEN║
║MOZIB║
║DODÓK║
╚═════╝

---

I was genuinely not expecting another siege so soon after the last one. It's a shame that most of the melee squads were wiped out before they had any time to train.

Designing the temple held me up by a few days. Planning things out on this scale in DF takes time, after all.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24