Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we mod in Platinum blunt weapons and armour?

Yay!
- 0 (0%)
Nay!
- 0 (0%)
Maybe... (Please elaborate in a post)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 25, 2020, 03:39:38 am

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24

Author Topic: Smithsoldier, Year 12: Clothes, Madness, and Beasts (And Candy) [47.04]  (Read 58280 times)

ProjectXMark1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smithsoldier Year 10: Armok Watches Us [47.04]
« Reply #270 on: June 14, 2020, 05:07:25 pm »

Just finished the year tonight. You can expect a write-up of the final few months in ~2 days, as I'm going to be busy tomorrow.

Edit: I ended up making a few preparations anyway, DL, as I hadn't heard anything different. On another note, here's something that I made for the post that you guys might find funny:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 05:41:13 pm by ProjectXMark1 »

ProjectXMark1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 17, 2020, 04:52:47 pm »

Ok, here's my final post, the entirety of winter!

---

Journal of Rīsen 'XMark' Swallowclasp, 5th Moonstone 184

Morale continues to be low in the fortress, at least one dwarf seems to have a depressive episode every few days. There isn't much that I can do other than wait for the corpses to be cleared up.

Excavations of the next level of the arena have also begun in earnest, and I have had some kennels set up for us to train guard animals for the vault.

12th Moonstone 184

I have made an odd discovery. Some of the body parts that have ended up in the fortress halls (I presume them to be dropped by depressed dwarves) are forbidden. I am correcting this now, they need to be dumped!

I have assigned two trainers to a couple of puppies, and when they are grown I expect that my successor will have them trained as war dogs for the vault.

21st Moonstone 184

Sazir Gebarsåkzul, captain of the guard is throwing a tantrum!

Sazir, the Smithsguard captain, is currently putting his rage before the law, and is beating one of our bone doctors to a pulp.

He will not be allowed to continue as our fortress' law enforcement, and his replacement's first task will be the arrest of his predecessor.

Sazir's conviction is imminent.

In an attempt at salvaging the morale of the more fragile dwarves of our fortress, I have opted to get the waterfall working again. After pulling the lever only served to turn the waterfall's pumps off, I found that the lower cistern was empty. I have expanded the pump operation crew so that we can fill it up.

22nd Moonstone 184

I have discovered why the corpses and body parts of the siege were all ending up in precisely the same spot.

A garbage dump has been found, designated in the middle of the hall.

This will not do. The dump has been undesignated, and the corpse pile has been designated for dumping.

27th Moonstone 184

The corpse pile in the hall isn't being cleared at all. A workaround is needed, or we're all going to be horrified every time we need to go to the workshops. Time to plan out a new corridor, I think.

Restricting the main corridor and planning out a northern bypass.

1st Opal 184

The bypass is open for traffic, and it's already seeing use. Thank Arm_Ok for traffic designations!

5th Opal 184

Our fortress has a lucky escape today.

Another werechameleon was discovered, on the front bridge no less.

Thankfully, two Ochre Bolts were returning to training and loosed their crossbows on the thing.

They missed, but had the initiative to call up the barracks for support, and engaged the beast.

One cook, Asmel Matultulon, did not run from the beast, and began attacking it. Strikes me as something she'd do.

The next two bolts from the two marksdwarves flew much closer to the mark; one through the leg, and another through the head that killed it.

By the time the incident reached my desk, the threat was over, but Asmel has been injured - bitten - multiple times by the foul chameleon. I believe that she will go the same way as DwarvenLord. I need to confine her in short order or we will face that threat anew.

6th Opal 184

The question of handling our on-and-off chameleon brethren has brought my successor, DwarvenLord, to the front of my mind. I believe that a new, safer, access port can be dug from above, behind the gate.

While Asmel recovers in hospital, I planned her new quarters. Spartan, like DwarvenLord's.

Asmel recovers in the top-left of this sketch.

10th Opal 184

The access room to DwarvenLord has been built, a few mechanical devices have been planned to isolate the chamber again if circumstances require it.

While I am aware that this is against dwarven tradition, I know who must follow me. I also believe it necessary to take steps to ensure her ability to run the fortress.

14th Opal 184

Amid all of the excitement, I have had little time to check on the temple's arena. The next level has been fully excavated!

Preparations for my succession are continuing; the bridge and the lever are in place. I also discovered, today, that the miners won't channel under a bridge's footprint, even when it is raised. Amara tells me it's a long-standing tradition relating to the ancient practice of "health and safety". It seems that throwing off one tradition piles on another. I ordered the bridge to be dismantled.

Furthermore, Asmel's cell is ready for furnishing.

The farmer's guild put forward a petition for a guildhall today as well, and while going over their documents I discovered that The Company of Dawning already has two meeting sites. The smaller (and physically non-existent) of the two has been retired. I gave the guild a few statues for their fancier hall, and that seemed to satisfy them.

A zone for animal training has been established in anticipation of some war dogs.

The pump crew has, finally, managed to fill the lower cistern. They were struggling to get enough dwarves to the pumps at once, as they need to eat and sleep. Time to get the waterfall going, I think!

16th Opal 184

Asmel's confinement cell is ready, and she has been briefed of the situation. She is to be the captain and sole member of The Damned, and isolate herself here until a more permanent solution to the werebeast problem is found.

The second phase of furnishing the dining room has begun today, now that we have a sufficient stockpile of gold for the tables.

22nd Opal 184

Asmel is now confined to her cell. Time will tell if she succumbs to the werechameleon curse.

Sketched during construction of a wall across the door, which is now locked.

I have also decided to commission some statues from our finest masons, relating to the life and achievements of Zon Ironmarks, the Stern Dream of Gold, who died in the last siege.

Morale still isn't improving, but at least it seems to be familiar names that Rimtar is telling me about.

25th Opal 184

Found that I made a mistake when designating the wood stockpile: the QSP itself had (somehow) been undesignated. I know not if this is a sign from Arm_Ok, or another administrative error, but there has been a persistent swarm of dwarves around the stockpile, almost perpetually moving wood to and from the QSP. The stockpile has been redesignated and the feeder stockpile is clearing up.

2nd Obsidian 184

My concerns were justified: Asmel transformed into another beast today. That wall is not coming down under my leadership.

I have decided to add a few side chambers to the Temple, one to house levers and the other as extra storage space for prisoners. As the miners/masons don't have much to do at the moment, I have them smoothing the first level of the Temple's arena.

Spoiler: Temple work (click to show/hide)

All of our artifacts are now safe and sound in the vault, with room to spare. I don't expect that we'll need to find a new home for them.

6th Obsidian 184

I've been at work on the magma handling systems for the Temple for the past few days, and figuring out the best way to dig out the sump. I have some steel grates on order, and the magma moat valve has been planned too.

Spoiler: Further temple work (click to show/hide)

9th Obsidian 184

Without much to do, I have decided to return to reorganising the workshop level. All of the single-ore stockpiles in the smelting area have been consolidated into a new QSP for all ores, and new storerooms have been planned out to house our coke and metal bars. The bone QSP feeder has been scaled back and the space has been given over to a larger stone block stockpile, and a new QSP has been set up at the western end for metal furniture.

Also pictured: smoothing designations for the less-than-temporary northern bypass and bone storeroom.

While I have shown restraint with Arm_Ok's gift in the past, I feel that the workshop level - and the fortress as a whole - will benefit from the shortened hauling times and better organisation.

19th Obsidian 184

Id Stakudmishos, Glassmaker has been possessed!

Id is the latest dwarf to be struck with inspiration from... somewhere. I don't actually know who, or what, keeps possessing our dwarves. If it be Arm_Ok, then He has remained silent on the matter.

The new rooms have been dug out, and the northern bypass smoothed. The new stockpiles for those storerooms are now in place. They are gradually being filled up from the old stockpiles. Someone else started throwing a tantrum today too. I'm getting a little tired of all the cranky dwarves in our fortress, and the never-decreasing corpse problem.

20th Obsidian 184

That ticked-off dwarf, a blacksmith, has taken it out on one of our medical staff. Hopefully they'll recover.

Id has also claimed a glass furnace. I'm not sure if we have any glass in the fortress, a lot of it went into display cases for the vault...

23rd Obsidian 184

While reviewing the actual digging designations for the Temple today, I couldn't help but notice a few discrepancies.

I spent the rest of the day redrafting the designations, and planning some modifications to the holding chamber. While a pain to redesign, it would have been a far greater pain to fix later.

The re-planning shifted the lower levels to the south.

27th Obsidian 184

The Scholar Logem Savotsåkzul has discovered the use of models and templates in engineering.

Good for him, I suppose. I always prayed to The Machine God whenever I had trouble visualising something. Anyway, I've had it with these monkey-fighting corpses in this Monday-to-Friday fortress.

Everyone is on corpse duty!

Turns out, the atom smasher was never made into a dump for garbage. I have made it damn clear to everyone: Corpses. To Arm_Ok's fist. Now.

I'm heading up to the gate like the rest of us. We're clearing those corpses!

1st Granite 184

My time is up as overseer, and I am proud of my work. At the start of the year, the new traffic designations and quantum stockpiles may have saved the fortress from an "FPS death" as Arm_Ok says, or at least staved it off. The new temple, vault, and dining room will serve the fortress well for years to come, and the adamantine is ready and waiting for my successors (may Arm_Ok guide them). The only mark against me is, as far as I know, is the handling of the enemy dead after this year's sieges, and that is already being resolved decisively.

The overseer nominations were a close contest between Amara and DwarvenLord, but DwarvenLord won out (in absentia) as most of the fortress (including Amara) was busy hauling dead goblins or sleeping. Arm_Ok works in mysterious ways, indeed.

As for myself, I will have a temple to run, with any luck, by this time next year. For now, I think I need a long rest, and some quiet time with Rimtar and Fath.

This is certified to be the true account of
╔═════╗
║RĪSEN║
║MOZIB║
║DODÓK║
╚═════╝

---

Yeah, I failed a few spot checks with where dump sites actually were, and whether dwarves were actually dumping anything. Hopefully putting the whole fortress on clean-up duty will get the corpse situation out of the way so DwarvenLord can get on with other projects.

I have some words for DwarvenLord:
  • Check the notes around the new temple, and the main corridor/northern bypass on the workshop level. There's some specifics about the temple's design written there, and some reminders about traffic designations.
  • I didn't update the burrows for the expanded and re-planned temple, so you should do that so no mishaps occur during the first service. The northern pit in the pitting room also has walls too close to it that need removing to prevent things from climbing out.
  • I did update the hotkeys as I played, though, so be sure to have another look at those.
  • The access channel to your dwarf hasn't been made yet, either, and you'll need to either extend the corpse duty burrow or turn off the alert if you want that done.
  • Don't forget about the possessed dwarf. I didn't get an opportunity to check up on him once he claimed his furnace.

And now, here's the save!

Given that I took so long in getting this done (and by rights should have been skipped as it's taken way longer than two weeks), I probably won't take another turn any time soon. Regardless, XMark has probably had enough of fortress management. Thanks to all of you, for your patience.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for being here, my time machine broke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 17, 2020, 09:04:12 pm »

Oh boy, I can't wait to completely mess everything up again. I'll start tommorow.

Ok, to be perfectly honest I haven't really been keeping up with the fortress at all, and I don't have the sheer willpower to read the wall of text I haven't read, and even if I did I would probably forget most of it. Makes sense in-game, at least. My dorf has been locked up this whole time. This is going to be a mess, especially with my complete inability to do anything other than basic upkeep and the smallest of projects.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 09:13:16 pm by DwarvenLord »
And thus was the dwarven meatshield invented.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 18, 2020, 06:49:31 am »

Did you make sure to enable hauling/corpse disposal on all the Dwarves? I think they won't dump the corpses if it's not active.

Also, I got a literal screenload or two of 'cannot reach stockpile/chest/whatever: drop-off inaccessible' errors in the announcement log when I opened up the save. Anyone know what the hell that's about?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 09:10:44 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 19, 2020, 03:06:36 pm »

1st of Granite, 185
As the rocks fall away from the sealed-off office, all that is heard in the hallway is laughter. A horrible laughter, the laughter of one who has been abandoned for far too long.
"Hehehehe... so you finally came back for me, eh? Hehe."
She stands back from the entrance, covering her eyes. After all, it's been 5 years since she's seen any light.
"It seems like it's my turn again to run this wretched place you call a fortress. How long has it been? Hehehe... five years is a long time, especially for an overseer fortress. I wonder what's happened... hehe..."
Stacks of documents of the past five years come forward. She maniacally giggles as she goes through them, speaking only twice.
"Hehe, that bastard Ryukan is dead. Hehehe..."
It's a couple more minutes before her second remark comes through.
"Oh, got cocky, I see... hehehe... Now the military is a shadow of it's former self...The Slammerdwarves are gone, and Even Zon is dead... hehe... Karma, some may say..."
Once she finishes flipping through she just smiles with a strange look in her eyes...
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smithsoldier Year 11: [47.04]
« Reply #275 on: June 25, 2020, 03:17:59 pm »

(Either I'm stupid, going insane, or the forum is breaking. I've posted updates for the first two months and they both aren't here. Probably didn't press send or something.)

Journal for Granite, Slate and Felsite
This is the second time this has happened! How incompetent are the scholars around here?!?

In granite, a siege came as normal, killing some sleeping dwarves outside, and but most everyone was safe.

In slate, I learned some things about pitting- like how lazy dwarves are about cages- and decided to do it myself. Spikes simply will not do- I'm going to rely on good-ol' gravity to kill those goblins... hehehe...

In felsite, I began the pitting project- a 3x3 16 z-level deep hole, from the hill to the caverns. Only one death so far in the channeling, so that's good. Some other people died for unknown reasons, we have plenty of food and drink, but oh well. There's always more.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 30, 2020, 09:00:14 pm »

Sorry for delay, I didn't have access to my computer for a couple days. An update should be out tomorrow.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 01, 2020, 05:52:46 pm »

Journal for Hematite
Continuing the work from the previous months, the channeling continues with no more accidents so far.
In addition, the siege finally left- and a caravan arrived. I don't really think we need anything from it, though.
Lastly, the metalsmiths asked for a guildhall, and I gave them one. They truly deserve it, for all the hard work they do for this fort.

[I'm sorry for these short, undetailed  updates. Not much is happening, and that's probably my fault. I'm not skilled enough to do ambitious projects without it being ugly, ineffective, deadly, or all at once. But who knows...?]

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 04, 2020, 02:25:57 pm »

Journal for Malachite
The pit is almost finished- can't wait to start throwing some trolls and goblins down there...
As well as that, I have some sad news to share- an old friend of mine, Rimtar Tim-something, was crushed by an atom smasher when I was getting rid of some things. No one is responsible, the person pulling the lever didn't know, and while Rimtar was being stupid, he didn't know either. As his body was completely gone, I will order a slab to be created soon.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 05, 2020, 04:48:52 am »

Tis interesting to see a genuine unfortunate accident from time to time
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 08, 2020, 03:15:26 pm »

Journal for Galena
This  month was far more interesting, for a number of reasons.
A roc visited us- by the time I had gotten most everyone inside and the bridge up, the dumb thing landed right into a cage trap. What are we going to do with this roc? No idea. It's probably just going to sit there.
In addition, I had never turned off the burrow after the siege, so nothing was happening outside. Now, a lot of corpses and and ghosts can be put to rest.
As well as that, some people have gone completely insane. Someone went berserk and got completely curbstomped. And I think someone started babbling? Who knows.
Finally, and most excitingly, the pit is finally dug out, and the hatches are in place. I tested it, and there were no accidents. The goblin we threw down died, and there was no risk of escape. The next couple months ought to be fun, once we finish the walls around the open pit parts.
Hehehe...

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 11, 2020, 05:11:48 pm »

Journal for Limestone
The pit is running mostly smoothly.
Yeah, today I learned that corners don't work well, and quite a few goblins escaped and at least one dwarf died. Oh, and some of the goblins don't die when dropped down, but it doesn't really matter- at least it frees up cages.
Oh, and someone made a artifact leather sandal. Really don't care.

It's extremely tedious to memorize a goblin's name, look through hundreds of similar goblin names, then select it and repeat to dump them one by one.

You know what we need? Lava. We need lava to get rid of the living goblins at the bottom of the pit, we need lava to finally kill all of the monsters in cages in the water room in the caverns, and possibly defense.
Unfortunately, I would almost certainly mess the entire thing up. Probably a job for the next overseer...

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 16, 2020, 02:02:28 pm »

Journal for Sandstone
I was going to skip this month, but apparently it's required.
Nothing much at all happened this month- Some migrants arrive and I set some more goblins to go down the pit.
That's it.

(I just feel bad because my turn is so... boring. Sorry. If anyone has any ideas, tell me, since I certainly don't have any...)

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 17, 2020, 03:16:39 am »

surprised dwarven lord isn't getting themselves a tomb or a bigger place to live
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 17, 2020, 03:33:13 am »

A megaproject may cause some Fun, especially if it involves magma or something like that. Then again, building an overly-elaborate tomb seems very much like a time-honoured tradition among Overseers in DF...
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 24