Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.47.04 Released  (Read 208812 times)

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.47.04 Released
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2020, 06:01:15 pm »

I'm also seeing ongoing reports of very long deity lists. This user suggests it might be the result of accepting visitor petitions, (and they're definitely playing with 47.04.)
That's just a list of gods worshipped in your fortress. Which, yes, of course includes all the visitors so can get pretty long. You don't need a temple to every god, "No specific deity" fulfils normal critter's needs just fine.

The bug is when one dwarf worships far too many gods to ever fulfil its needs. One civilization only has a few gods now, so most dwarves will be OK. But some dwarves have roots in several civs so their potentially worshipped gods expands rapidly.

Toady specifically stated in the 47.03 release thread that long lists of deities were not working as intended and planned to be fixed for 47.04. I'm just passing along that the current implementation is still frustrating to some users. If long lists of deities are now working as intended, that would be useful community knowledge. Perhaps you could just link me to your information source?
Team Bug Fix!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2020, 06:06:24 pm »

I'm also seeing ongoing reports of very long deity lists. This user suggests it might be the result of accepting visitor petitions, (and they're definitely playing with 47.04.)
That's just a list of gods worshipped in your fortress. Which, yes, of course includes all the visitors so can get pretty long. You don't need a temple to every god, "No specific deity" fulfils normal critter's needs just fine.

The bug is when one dwarf worships far too many gods to ever fulfil its needs. One civilization only has a few gods now, so most dwarves will be OK. But some dwarves have roots in several civs so their potentially worshipped gods expands rapidly.

Toady specifically stated in the 47.03 release thread that long lists of deities were not working as intended and planned to be fixed for 47.04. I'm just passing along that the current implementation is still frustrating to some users. If long lists of deities are now working as intended, that would be useful community knowledge. Perhaps you could just link me to your information source?
Long lists of deities for a civilization were fixed in 47.04, yes. Tarn explains it in some detail in the recent podcast interview (devblog). Civs were generating lists of gods and kept adding them until a death god turned up resulting in huge lists. He fixed that. Each civ now has shorter lists.

Visitors aren't from your civilization. The list shows the gods worshipped by everyone in your fortress.

This was hoped to fix the "one dwarf worships 30 gods" bug. But Patrik (in the post you responded to) pointed out another problem causing one dwarf to worship many gods. Believe it's on the tracker too (but search is broken for my phone there, so can't hunt it down right now).

No specific deity is fine for most visitors. One temple per god worshipped was never meant to be a thing you had to do. One dwarf has too many gods bug causes a dwarf to scream Worship! for most of their brief lives as they desperately try and fail to worship through their god list.

So to sum up:
The long lists of gods in a temple list are caused by:
Having a lot of visitors from several different civilizations (ignore them, they'll go away).

And

One critter worshipping 30 gods bug (multiplied across a few critters causes very long lists). Fixing this will mostly fix the long lists until your visitor numbers really stack up.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 06:20:50 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2020, 11:34:28 am »

I know it would be better to post this on the bug tracker, but I don't seem to be able to create an account (I never receive any emails from it).

Anyway, I've just encountered the military equipment corruption bug again in 47.04.
I had been sending out raids with for many years with no problems, but this was my first time conquering a site. I transferred a single dwarf from an existing squad to a newly created squad with the same uniform, then ordered that squad to go and demand surrender from a nearby goblin forest retreat (one which was both at war with and economically linked to my fortress). I got the message confirming that I'd successfully conquered the site, then 5 minutes later the game crashes. When I look at the list of specific legwear available to be assigned to my military, there's a book at the bottom of the list.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2020, 03:20:33 am »

Theory on cause of huge lists of deity relations:
In fortress mode babies seem to inherit their mothers' set of deities (excluding megabeast and the like), plus one of from the civ's pantheon (which may be one already inherited, resulting in no increase), assuming things haven't changed since 0.40.24. If the same logic applies to historical figures outside of fortress mode, the introduction of the ability of hist figs to acquire new gods through religion would risk exploding the number of gods babies inherit as the growths can be far higher than a bit below one per generation. This assumes acquired deities are inherited in the same way as inherited/acquired at birth ones. Thus, a mechanism that was unbalanced gets pulled further out of check with religions. There is a need for mechanisms to get hist figs to abandon gods, not only pile new ones on top of the pile.

(Also saw a vampire migrant with 30 "deities", with most of those being megabeasts [19?]. It illustrates how deity piling affects long lived creatures as well).
Interesting! Would you so kindly, give me a screenshot.
Sorry, I can't. It suffered an "unfortunate accident" when the invading gobbos broke down the door to the shed it was contained in.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2020, 06:34:34 am »

"Katos Pystipilvi, Ghostly Carpenter has been found dead, drowned."
Either ghosts can drown, or bad wording for "the corpse of Roofy Bustcloud has been found."

*reads log* yeah dorf missing for a week, seasons ago.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 07, 2020, 02:40:29 pm »

"Katos Pystipilvi, Ghostly Carpenter has been found dead, drowned."
Either ghosts can drown, or bad wording for "the corpse of Roofy Bustcloud has been found."

*reads log* yeah dorf missing for a week, seasons ago.
That's the standard issue of DF not knowing what the state was at the time of the event, like someone described as vampire/were before being cursed, or before being raised as an intelligent undead.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2020, 03:22:03 pm »

There is something really wrong with aquifers.
I did 5 embarks now in the 0.47 versions.
On all of them, I used the finder on the embark screen to make sure there are no aquifers.
Yet, all 5 embarks have extensive light aquifers. Not just one level deep, no 4-5-6 levels deep.They all start on the 3d level below ground (two levels of soil, then stone or soil with aquifer)
Please fix.

It really keeps me from playing, having to gen a new world and going through setting up the dwarves skills for embark over and over again only to find I am on an unplayable map (well maybe not unplayable, but I don't like aquifers and I'd like the option to play without them)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 03:24:31 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2020, 03:54:09 pm »

There is something really wrong with aquifers.
I did 5 embarks now in the 0.47 versions.
On all of them, I used the finder on the embark screen to make sure there are no aquifers.
Yet, all 5 embarks have extensive light aquifers. Not just one level deep, no 4-5-6 levels deep.They all start on the 3d level below ground (two levels of soil, then stone or soil with aquifer)
Please fix.

It really keeps me from playing, having to gen a new world and going through setting up the dwarves skills for embark over and over again only to find I am on an unplayable map (well maybe not unplayable, but I don't like aquifers and I'd like the option to play without them)
Have you tried playing with them? They're minor obstacles that require basically no thought at all. Either dig down let water drip into a pit at the bottom of your stairs (good thoughts for mist and showers). Or dig and build walls. Basic raw editing can switch them off like most things in the game and LNP has a switch.

And yes, it's already on the bug tracker (make sure to search there first before requesting bug fixes).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 03:56:27 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2020, 04:20:35 pm »

Wait what, you can disable aquifers in the save raws?  I thought that was only possible before worldgen.
That is going to help a ton.
I tried playing with them, but I don't like the hassle of walling it off. 
I use spiral ramp rooms instead of stairs, so letting them drip down is not an option, plus I never rush digging far down lest I breach the caverns too early.
But yeah, sorry for the grumble I could have checked the bugtracker.  On the forums / wiki I only read something about aquifer layers sometimes leaking through into neighboring biomes.  But it's not sometimes, it's always as far as I can tell.

EDIT: heh, no that didn't work.  Removing the [AQUIFER] tag in the raws for peat turned the light aquifer into a heavy aquifer.  :(
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 04:53:39 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2020, 05:18:04 pm »

Wait what, you can disable aquifers in the save raws?  I thought that was only possible before worldgen.
That is going to help a ton.
I tried playing with them, but I don't like the hassle of walling it off. 
I use spiral ramp rooms instead of stairs, so letting them drip down is not an option, plus I never rush digging far down lest I breach the caverns too early.
But yeah, sorry for the grumble I could have checked the bugtracker.  On the forums / wiki I only read something about aquifer layers sometimes leaking through into neighboring biomes.  But it's not sometimes, it's always as far as I can tell.

EDIT: heh, no that didn't work.  Removing the [AQUIFER] tag in the raws for peat turned the light aquifer into a heavy aquifer.  :(
In the save raws? No I doubt that would work. But if you never want to play with an aquifer, just turn them off before creating your worlds (along with whatever other parts of the game you don't want).

I believe Dfhack has a drain aquifers command that actually works during play though.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2020, 05:21:20 pm »

I am wary of removing aquifers before worldgen because I don't know if that has any effect on site creation during worldgen.
Does it?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2020, 05:47:19 pm »

I am wary of removing aquifers before worldgen because I don't know if that has any effect on site creation during worldgen.
Does it?
Not that I know of. Many, many people play with no aquifers and have done for years (it's just a mouse-click away in the LNP after all). It used to be essential knowledge for anyone coming into the game to avoid or turn them off before doing anything (luckily they were finally nerfed in 47.01).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 05:49:42 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2020, 06:25:05 am »

Does it?
No effect as far as I know; have embarked on 120+ worlds. One time got two necro towers within range of my fort.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #118 on: May 16, 2020, 03:14:10 am »

Does it?

The only thing it changes is in adventure mode - wells dont show up in hamlets/towns if aquifers dont exist.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2020, 03:21:53 pm »

Do we have any chance for a QoL release once in a while?
I build dedicated to fixing crashes and outstanding issues?

It would be a nice change of pace from constantly introducing new features (almost) every time :)
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10