Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The Language Overhaul - 1.0 released for Steam!  (Read 25190 times)

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Language Overhaul - 0.6 - Forgotten Beast Edition
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2023, 12:50:02 pm »

The names that are missing are using my new vocabulary, but the new languages added by Spellcrafts do not have matching translations. If you want to make it compatible, you could copy/paste all my new translations from e.g. the language_DWARF file into the new language files added by Spellcrafts. That should fix it... I think.

Thank you for your reply. It worked.

Copying new words from the language overhaul raws into Spellcrafts' did the trick. The only issue I've ran into was that some symbols in some words displayed incorrectly as weird and jumbled mess. Fixed it by finding and replacing the broken symbols with the normal ones. Don't know the exact cause, but since it's been an easy fix, doesn't really matter.

Can't stress enough how great this mod is. Having good sounding names has been a real gamechanger.

The jumbled letters is because I sometimes manage to mess up the encoding of the files. Or else you did. But seems you figured it out. There's some advice on it somewhere in this thread I think.

I'm happy you appreciate my mod!

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2023, 08:37:53 am »

The language overhaul version 1.0 is now live on Steam! https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3041526930

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Language Overhaul - 1.0 released for Steam!
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2023, 02:58:18 pm »

... And now also uploaded to the file depot - https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16855

baldamundo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2024, 10:17:20 am »

The names that are missing are using my new vocabulary, but the new languages added by Spellcrafts do not have matching translations. If you want to make it compatible, you could copy/paste all my new translations from e.g. the language_DWARF file into the new language files added by Spellcrafts. That should fix it... I think.

Thank you for your reply. It worked.

Copying new words from the language overhaul raws into Spellcrafts' did the trick. The only issue I've ran into was that some symbols in some words displayed incorrectly as weird and jumbled mess. Fixed it by finding and replacing the broken symbols with the normal ones. Don't know the exact cause, but since it's been an easy fix, doesn't really matter.

Can't stress enough how great this mod is. Having good sounding names has been a real gamechanger.
Possibly a stupid question, but I just want to check how copying the new words works. Do I just copy e.g. all the list of "[T_WORD:NEW XXX:yyy]" from any one of Language Overhaul's language files into each of Spellcraft's language files?

Does it matter that the Language Overhaul ones are all in the format "T_WORD:NEW", whereas the Spellcraft ones are just "T_WORD:" without the new?

And does it matter if they already have some of the same words, or would I need to filter out the duplicates?

EDIT: Huh. I tried following the instructions for compatibility on the Steam page, and now all the civs from Spellcraft have blank names in-game for people, musical instruments, sites, etc (they have English translations in Legends mode though). Any idea what I've done wrong or how I fix it?

Copying the Steam instructions here for ease of reference:

How do I make a mod that adds races and civilizations with new languages compatible with this mod?
1. Go to steam/common/Dwarf Fortress/mods or if you already have the race mod used and installed go to steam/common/Dwarf Fortress/data/installed_mods and locate the mod you want to make compatible

2. inside the mod's object folder, delete any files called "language_XXX"

3. open the file(s) called "entity_XXX"

4. find the places where it says [TRANSLATION:XXX] and replace with a translation provided by the language overhaul such as [TRANSLATION:DWARF], [TRANSLATION:ELF] or [TRANSLATION:GOBLIN] (I plan to add more of these so you have something to choose from)

5. if you want proper civilization names, find the part where it says SELECT_SYMBOL and add a new line if it doesn't already say: [SELECT_SYMBOL:CIV:NAME_ENTITY_KINGDOM]

7. if you want proper group names, also add a new line if it doesn't already say: [SELECT_SYMBOL:SITE:NAME_ENTITY_TOWN_FOUNDER]

8. Save your changes and load up the game. Create a new world. Load language overhaul before the other mod.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 08:19:02 pm by baldamundo »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]