Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The Language Overhaul - 1.0 released for Steam!  (Read 24711 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

I've added your mod to credits on my mod page. While I don't use your names, I use this idea and I'm in love with it. Should have done it sooner :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

New update with Human names and some Elven WIP ones! See OP for details.

I went with a mix of gender neutral-sounding Old English-style names combined with Old English animal names for humans

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another new update! Now all four races have new place names that actually sound like place names. Though the Goblin ones need a little work.

Next on the list is revamped civilization and government names!

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile

I've always been fascinated by DF language mods. Is there any way I can make my own and not have to edit every word by hand/make a language generator of my own?
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Probably. Though I'm not sure what you want to do - this mod changes both the vocabulary (which words appear and in what context) as well as translations. I don't use generators as my translations aren't random, though you can probably find one on the net. Then paste it into Excel and get it to spit out translations in the format used in the language_DWARF/GOBLIN/what have you file. Come to think of it, I think I saw some kind of language generator somewhere around here, I don't know if it's up to date though
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 04:36:47 pm by Emilovich »

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Update! Added civilization names.

Coming up: Forgotten beasts and gods.

khripunoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Language Overhaul - 0.4 - Now with new civ and government names!
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2020, 07:49:00 pm »

I am currently using this mod with DF Revised + Sver's Combat Reworked, and I really like this mod very much, please, keep on and deliver more awesomeness!

And adding a download link in the OP should definitely help spreading the awesomeness even further;)
Been lurking here for a while, but this one deserved a registration and a first message on forums.
Kiron Kappi!

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2020, 02:48:39 am »

Oops, must have accidentally deleted the download link!

Good to hear someone is using it  :D

DarthRubik

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Rubik's Cubes for their colorful pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2020, 01:43:57 pm »

I just genned up a world to see all the names and it is beautiful.....I wish I could put this in my old world, but when I gen up a new one this is definitely being used.....

PTW

Morning_Oak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2020, 09:25:46 pm »

First off, I absolutely love this mod. It adds a layer of lore and immersion that simply wasn't there due to the ridiculous names the game naturally comes up with.

I am however running into 1 small problem and I'm wondering if it's a known issue or if perhaps I messed up something the install.

After generating a number of worlds, I've found some Dwarven & Goblin governments with names like "The Copper 0" or most recently "The Blighted 0". I assume this is a result of the game trying to plug in one of the words from this mod, and for some reason isn't able to do some so it is using a 0 (zero) as a placeholder. This unfortunately kills the whole theme and I tend to just ditch the world when this occurs. So far, I've seen this with Dwarven governments, with a Goblin government and it has also occured when I was creating a squad in fort mode, if that is at all helpful.

Once again, really love the mod and hope to see more in the future.

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2020, 03:46:36 pm »

Indeed, the zeroes are not supposed to be there. I added the zeroes in order to pinpoint places where I've messed up with inflections. The translated name should still be correct in these cases though, so if you could report the translation, I'd be able to pinpoint the error real quick!

I hope to get back and work on this in a few days :)

Morning_Oak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2020, 04:03:02 pm »

Good to know, I'll update this post later today with the translation for the most recent occurrence when I'm back on my home PC. I was able to start an adventure mode character in a Dwarven city that had dug too deep and was now a Goblin civ infested with clowns. They're all are friendly to my character and I was able to "rescue" 2 of the clowns from an approaching human army, so now we're roaming the world wreaking havoc. Their government has a '0' in its name but I kept the world since it's such a unique starting location.

Edit: I checked and I'm not 100% sure how to find the translation for the site's government via Adventure mode. I'll check legends when I retire this character, it may be listed there.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 02:15:04 pm by Morning_Oak »

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2020, 09:57:07 am »

sorry to necro but can you please include a version that has both the new dwarven first names and the old ones? theyre kind of iconic yknow

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2020, 03:29:20 pm »

yeah a thing ive noticed is a lot of civ names end up with the name "the [adjective] 0" or "the 0 [noun]" and its kind of ugly to look at. is there a way you could fix this too?

Ray_Anor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2020, 06:23:40 am »

Is this mod alive? Or forgotten?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5