Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: The Language Overhaul - 1.0 released for Steam!  (Read 24703 times)

DarthRubik

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Rubik's Cubes for their colorful pieces
    • View Profile
Re: The Language Overhaul - 0.4 - Now with new civ and government names!
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2020, 08:23:48 am »

I noticed that some people where complaining about the fact that there were some "0"s in some of the generated names (Eg "The Iron 0").

I have a modded version of this mod that basically just removes all the lines that were left as placeholders....It will have less names than the author originally intended, but it is better than nothing....I am not going to post it here, because I don't have permission from the author to publish anything (it technically is his IP).

But if you want to modify his files yourself just do the following:

Search for the character zero (0).  Remove all lines containing it.  It is that simple.

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2020, 06:31:39 am »

Hi everyone, haven't forgotten the mod, even fixed the issue, but then I got a concussion, which has so far lasted 5 months. I've been unable to upload the fix because I can't look at computer screens for more than a few minutes.

The problem is that civs and group are hardcoded to in some cases take the plural version of the word (50/50), even though it isn't supposed to. The workaround I'd do is replace the 0's in word entries used by civs and groups with the word preceding it (so "council;0" becomes "council;council". Hope that makes sense. If someone cares to make the fix and upload it, feel free to do so. There won't be an update from me in the next few months unfortunately, though I am getting better.

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2020, 10:35:04 am »

Hi everyone, haven't forgotten the mod, even fixed the issue, but then I got a concussion, which has so far lasted 5 months. I've been unable to upload the fix because I can't look at computer screens for more than a few minutes.

The problem is that civs and group are hardcoded to in some cases take the plural version of the word (50/50), even though it isn't supposed to. The workaround I'd do is replace the 0's in word entries used by civs and groups with the word preceding it (so "council;0" becomes "council;council". Hope that makes sense. If someone cares to make the fix and upload it, feel free to do so. There won't be an update from me in the next few months unfortunately, though I am getting better.
its ok friend

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Language Overhaul - 0.5 - just a bugfix
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2021, 11:25:29 am »

I can now look at screens again and I've uploaded a quick bugfix. Perhaps I should have called it v 0.41, but no, it's version 0.5 now

ANickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2021, 12:01:48 am »

Awesome that you've recovered, thanks so much for this great mod.

khripunoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2021, 10:38:31 am »

Found a few inconsistencies in language_DWARF.txt:
  • All the vanilla words are without special characters (eg "emar" instead of "emär") - easy to fix, just replace them (all those that are not [T_WORD:NEW ]) with entries from the vanilla language_DWARF.txt.
  • Duplicates with messed up encoding: lines 2671-2686 contain duplicates of color names, which also happen to be wrongly encoded  - just delete those.
  • Messed up encoding: the words "VALE", "KNOT", "CAT", "ROSE" and "LADY" have messed up special characters (eg "·" instead of "ú"), the reason is wrong encoding (Win-1252 instead of OEM-US) - find&replace those.
  • Last but not least: the translation for "BEET" is "n?pa" (with a question mark) - no idea what's that supposed to be there, so i replaced it with "bete" (Norwegian for "beet").
These changes don't require generating a new world, so if you have an ongoing fort/adventure you can safely overwrite the language_DWARF.txt in your /save/whateverregionxx folder as well.
You can fix those by yourself or ask me to send you the fixed version. I don't want to post it here since it's Emilovich's WIP.
Eagerly waiting for the next update. This mod is fantastic :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 08:27:47 pm by khripunoff »
Kiron Kappi!

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2021, 05:03:12 pm »

Found a few inconsistencies in language_DWARF.txt

Thanks for the feedback and praise, khripunoff! In particular, the encoding stuff you mentioned has been causing me headaches as I don't know all that much about it. I've set notepad++ to use ANSI encoding, but as you've pointed out for some words it doesn't work right. Any tips regarding how to get the right encoding would be greatly appreciated :)

And the next release will feature new forgotten beast names!

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2021, 06:19:36 pm »

DF uses https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437 which has several names - I don't know what noteped++ might call it.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

khripunoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2021, 06:25:16 pm »

Found a few inconsistencies in language_DWARF.txt

I've set notepad++ to use ANSI encoding, but as you've pointed out for some words it doesn't work right. Any tips regarding how to get the right encoding would be greatly appreciated :)

I use Notepad++ too. After you set the Encoding to ANSI, you need to set the Character set (in the same menu, below Encoding) to Western European->OEM US. This is the only correct Character set to use for Dwarf Fortress. If you notice strange symbols those are probably from wrong Character set (in our particular case it's Windows-1525 instead of OEM US) - replace those with the correct ones. If you are for any reason not sure what's the correct one, switch to Windows-1525 - they should be shown "correct" now. (if they are not, try another Character set, but usually it's Windows-1525 as in this case).

A useful feature in Notepad++  is Edit->Character panel - a nice side-panel with all the characters from the current Character set, handy for copy&paste "special" characters.

And the next release will feature new forgotten beast names!
Yay! Much excited! Any estimations as to when it's gonna happen? :)

P.S. BTW you might want to check your last update (v0.5). i think it still doesn't have the '0' issue fixed.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 06:36:59 pm by khripunoff »
Kiron Kappi!

khripunoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2021, 06:29:12 pm »

DF uses https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437 which has several names - I don't know what noteped++ might call it.
It's OEM US in Notepad++
Kiron Kappi!

Emilovich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Language Overhaul - 0.6 - Forgotten Beast Edition
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2021, 07:32:22 am »

Went ahead and fixed the problems reported here (I hope). I'm uploading a new version with fixes and new, ominous forgotten beast naming. Say hello to Hellir Spiritwither the Venomous, Hvarf the Drowned and the rest of the circus! And as always, please report any bugs you encounter, though I think this is the most polished version yet. Thanks for the feedback and help with the character sets, which should finally be fixed now :)

The forgotten beast names are in Dwarf and the other languages are using a lot of Dwarven placeholder words. This is because I've decided to finish the Dwarven language first and then move on to the others afterwards.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 07:35:05 am by Emilovich »

khripunoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2021, 08:49:51 am »

Holy Carp, 0.6 is alive! Downloading...
Kiron Kappi!

khripunoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2021, 01:06:04 pm »

A couple of issues with v0.6 :
  • In all the LANGUAGE_*.txt files except for LANGUAGE_ELF.txt all instances of "ss" were accidently changed to "á". (double checked against 0.5 version and the vanilla files as well).
  • language_DWARF.txt:
    • [T_WORD:NEW TWILIGHT:r°kk] -- "°" was supposed to be "ø" but OEM US doesn't have such character, so you probably should use "o" like you did in the other files for placeholders.
    • Also the "vanilla" words still have plain characters instead of special ones (eg "emar" instead of "emär") - just replace them with ones from the vanilla language_DWARF.txt.
  • language_GOBLIN.txt (these are not new, also present in v0.5):
       [T_WORD:NEW BERRY:kil√k] -- "√" should be "û"
       [T_WORD:NEW OAK:bazg,] -- probably a typo
       [T_WORD:NEW BADGER:m√r] -- "√" should be "û"
       [T_WORD:NEW THE DEAD:uglûrz ] -- should be without space probably?
  • language_ELF.txt: lines 2583-2584 contain duplicates which can be deleted:
       "[T_WORD:NEW BAND:hoáe]" ("á" instead of "ss", but this is the only case in this file, I hope :P)
       "[T_WORD:NEW MASTERS:turi]"

I noticed that you've changed the "e" endings of some of the vanilla Elven words to "ë" in one of the older versions, but I assume that's an intentional change to make them more in line with the new words, ie more Quenyaish sounding, but I may be wrong :)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 04:44:18 pm by khripunoff »
Kiron Kappi!

Sard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2021, 04:07:37 pm »

Long time lurker here. Just had a quick question. When I attempt to use this mod with the Meph pack, I can't seem to load or generate any worlds, as the game crashes. Is there something I could tweak and fix, perhaps, or are they simply incompatible? I'll ask in Meph's thread, as well. Twice the posts twice the chance of a fix I suppose. Many apologies if this is the wrong place for to ask. Thanks to the Mod Authors for all their hard work!

-Edit- Novaris is being kind enough to see about sorting this out over in Meph's thread. If anyone else is interested, the results or lack thereof will be there.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 05:05:25 pm by Sard »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2021, 09:45:11 am »

I think this mod deserves more attention, it's likely the finest language overhaul mod out there IMO. Per Tolkien's own philosophy, memorable names are key to a memorable story, and it's admittedly a bit hard in vanilla DF to get attached to a place called "Beachedslopped" or something similar.

One thing I've noticed though that I'd like to report (it's probably been reported already but just in case), the game seems to register all the new names as unusual first names and so in adventure mode it can get a bit tiresome to always have NPCs commenting on how rare my character's name is (especially if they have the same name themselves). Is this intended or is it, as I suspect, a bug?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 08:20:01 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5