Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure mode versus fort mode  (Read 2223 times)

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure mode versus fort mode
« on: March 01, 2020, 01:01:45 pm »

At the moment i am playing in the fortress mode and its challencing
The idea of a adventurer looks to me promising too : wander around outside in the world instead of underground in a fortress.
How to play like a adventurer and what features does have the adventurer mode  (for example :  like a legends viewer in fortress and oversight in Civilization/world map)

- there is fast travel i noticed

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode versus fort mode
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 01:37:24 pm »

Well, that's sort of a broad question.

Adventure Mode is basically the turn-based RPG to Fort Mode's colony sim. You control a single character (or, recently, a party of characters) and explore your DF worlds on foot, as you would in most RPGs. You have skills and attributes just like your fortress dwarves do. As with fort mode, Adventure Mode is very open-ended, and most of "what there is to do" is up to you to decide. Fighting monsters or megabeasts, infiltrating dark fortresses and rescuing snatched children, becoming a vampire or necromancer or werebeast, performing song and dance at taverns or castles, or simply exploring the neat worlds DF cooks up - these are all fine and (usually) interesting ways to enjoy adventure mode.

I'd warn you, though, that Adventure Mode is very much unpolished at the moment, even more so than fort mode. Expect bugs, weird nonsensical stuff, lag, and crashes. But if you can look past all that it's very enjoyable.

what features does have the adventurer mode  (for example :  like a legends viewer in fortress and oversight in Civilization/world map)
As I said, this is a pretty broad question: what sort of features are you wondering about? I don't understand what you mean by "legends viewer in fortress" or "oversight in Civilization/world map." Could you maybe re-phrase these?

Also, the Adv Mode "fast travel" is really just "faster travel" - you move around on an abstracted map, but you still have to physically (virtually?) move your character(s) from one place to another; it's not "click on the location and teleport there" Skyrim-style travel.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 06:01:06 pm »

[quote janamdo]
what features does have the adventurer mode  (for example :  like a legends viewer in fortress and oversight in Civilization/world map)

[/quote]

As I said, this is a pretty broad question: what sort of features are you wondering about? I don't understand what you mean by "legends viewer in fortress" or "oversight in Civilization/world map." Could you maybe re-phrase these?

Thanks
In Dwarf fortress you can track the whole history of the world ( with a legends viewer : a search program ) and a (world) screen to open in Dwarf fortress to see about the Civilizations/world for doing missions and other things.
I am wondering if there is also in the adventurer mode more to know from the world history for the adventurer to use ?

Its about the "depth" of fortress and as adventurer..comparing 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 06:04:31 pm by janamdo »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 06:11:53 pm »

It's the exact same game. You create a world, that world has a history which you can read in Legends mode (or export to read in a Legends util). Then you can play as an adventurer in the world, run a fortress in the world, whatever you like. And while you're playing your fortress, your old adventurers are doing their own thing. You can then check all of this in the history.

Play a fortress, retire, play an adventurer, retire your adventurer at the fortress you made, play your fortress some more, play your adventurer some more. Play a completely new fortress then check history to see what your previous adventurer and fortress were doing while you were playing. It's all the same world.

As an adventurer, everything you can see in Legends you can go to see in person. In fortress mode you're restricted to one site and a world map you can send raiders to.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 06:13:53 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 06:39:11 am »

It's the exact same game. You create a world, that world has a history which you can read in Legends mode (or export to read in a Legends util). Then you can play as an adventurer in the world, run a fortress in the world, whatever you like. And while you're playing your fortress, your old adventurers are doing their own thing. You can then check all of this in the history.

Play a fortress, retire, play an adventurer, retire your adventurer at the fortress you made, play your fortress some more, play your adventurer some more. Play a completely new fortress then check history to see what your previous adventurer and fortress were doing while you were playing. It's all the same world.

As an adventurer, everything you can see in Legends you can go to see in person. In fortress mode you're restricted to one site and a world map you can send raiders to.
Thanks
Yes freedom as adventurer to go everywhere and in the fortress there are mission to do https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Mission#Raids_and_explorations

I  like to play as adventurer too..
But there is no direct connection with a fort and adventurer ? ..say i leave a fort as adventurer to visit a another location.
At the present fort there is a human fort in the vincinity. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 06:50:00 am by janamdo »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 06:51:52 am »

Thanks
Yes freedom as adventurer to go everywhere and in the fortress there are mission to do https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Mission#Raids_and_explorations

I  like to play as adventurer too..
But there is no direct conection with a fort and adventurer ? ..say i leave a fort as adventurer to visit a another location.
At the present fort there is a human fort in the vincinity.
No, retire your fortress and your fortress will be there. Retire your adventurers they will be in the world. It's the same world, ongoing as you play.

Unless there was a war and humans took over your fortress and killed everyone. Ah well. Check it out in Legends. Humans don't build fortresses, so that's a big hint that it used to be a Dwarf's home.
(Fortress and fort, two different types of building check which it is).

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 09:53:20 am »

Thanks
What is in the world(civilizations is build ..is difficult to discover, because i think there is a another tileset used, but i am not sure about this ?
Is the default tileset used for the legendsviewer/civ/embark screen?
Don't not know yet all tile symbols with their meaning ..frustrating and no answers yet found for this.
 When i am wandering around as a adventurer i could visit : outpost/Hamlet/village/town/city/metropolis and mountainhome ( ah .. yes the caravan comes from the mountainhome )

I started as adventure, but  don't know if the embark screen has a premade charachter ( i think so)
Controlling the charcacter is still unknown and a videotutorial should be helpful   
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 10:11:15 am by janamdo »