Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garrison - dwarf became smaller after guard training  (Read 1952 times)

Seolferwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Garrison - dwarf became smaller after guard training
« on: March 21, 2020, 10:35:19 am »

Hello all.

I've recruited several dwarves for my military while keeping an eye on their size, so I can have them wield great axes plus a shield.
After guard training them at the garrison some attributes that shouldn't change did change.
Especially two dwarves had a size of over 80000 cm³ and now they're below 60000 cm³.
Any idea what's going on here?
Can I fix this?

Edit:
This is weird.
They're definitely smaller than 60k cm³ but they're equipping and apparently using the 2-handed great axes, which require a size of at least 60k cm³.
They've also equipped the shields.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 10:54:28 am by Seolferwulf »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Garrison - dwarf became smaller after guard training
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 11:24:51 am »

It's DF being weird. Guilds, Garrison training, mages, those are all castes in the creature file. To get that caste, the unit is transformed, which full-heals them and gives them a new body, like being reborn. All attributes get rerolled. Nothing I can do about it. Generally speaking the new castes have attribute ranges that fit their new roles.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Seolferwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 11:37:34 am »

I see, thanks for telling me.

On the plus side I can also try recruiting dwarves with otherwise unuseable values.
Should I assume my current forces won't be able to re-equip great axes and shield together once they unequip it?
Apparently they did the guard training after equipping those.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 11:42:06 am »

I don't know. They might not change their height, or become a bit smaller or larger. It's a random selection from their attribute range.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Seolferwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 11:30:36 pm »

Well, for now they seem to be able to equip and use two-handed weapons and shield at the same time, even when they don't meet the weapon's requirement.
I've tried this with great axes, two-handed swords and pikes.
All three weapon types require a unit size of 60k and are two-handed until unit size 77,5k while the recruits are mostly below 60k cm³ (according to Dwarf Therapist).

By any chance have I just misunderstood how all this works?

Edit:
An update after a while.
The dwarf shown in the screenshots has now increased his size to ~83k cm³, what I believe is close to his original size.
He's been sparring with his squad most of the time, increasing his combat related skills and attributes.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 04:01:51 pm by Seolferwulf »