Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Less Benign Wildlife!  (Read 1644 times)

caledfwlchschime

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Less Benign Wildlife!
« on: March 05, 2020, 09:01:09 pm »

Are you sick and tired of how cushy and safe the great outdoors are for your dwarves? Baffled by the fact that hippopotami are considered [BENIGN] by the RAWs? Look no further for.

This was a simple little mod I made out of personal preference and decided to share. I went through a bunch of different creatures in and ripped the [BENIGN] tag out of them where I thought it didn't make sense. Could you do this yourself? Yes, easily, but I figured that there might be some folks who'd appreciate having the tedious work done for them already.

Here's a list of the edited creatures
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

AN IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to the way wildlife behaves in adventure mode all of these creatures will still run from you in that mode, sorry.

I touched as few things as possible when making this so you should just be able to drop it into your RAWs and let it overwrite the original files.

DFFD Link: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14899
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 02:49:41 pm by caledfwlchschime »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Less Benign Wildlife!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 11:39:57 am »

Have you tested it in adventure mode?  Last I checked, wildlife will flee from adventurers no matter what you do.

caledfwlchschime

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Less Benign Wildlife!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 02:46:55 pm »

I have, and unfortunately wildlife do still flee from you there. When I was uploading this I was only thinking of Fortress Mode. I'll update the description accordingly.

As I understand it, there is unfortunately no good solution to this particular quirk, short of doing things that will adversely affect worldgen, or have otherwise really wonky reactions with the way the rest of the game works. Any of the tags that make creatures attack you in adventure mode such as [CRAZED] and [LARGE_PREDATOR] make them also have a much higher chance of going on rampages during wolrdgen, which floods your historical figures with Moose and Elephants, among other undesirable side effects such as warthogs hunting cats for fun.

A potential, extremely hypothetical solution, would be to give every creature that I've removed benign from the [PRONE_TO_RAGE] token, which I don't BELIEVE affects worldgen, however I have no idea if the token would do anything in adventure mode or if it would simply increase the amount of fun experienced in fort mode. I'll have to run some tests.