Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Axedwarf felling trees  (Read 2874 times)

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Axedwarf felling trees
« on: March 07, 2020, 03:17:12 am »

I noticed my woodcutter turned axedwarf was felling trees in his militia uniform (armor, shield and weapon).
Usually he will change into their civilian clothes if I tell him to cut some trees, so is this a new feature?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Axedwarf felling trees
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 07:44:47 am »

Sounds like it - I wonder if this is the same for miners & hunters, maybe the uniform conflict has been resolved

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 09:25:11 am »

Sounds like it - I wonder if this is the same for miners & hunters, maybe the uniform conflict has been resolved
Without it being mentioned in the release notes or bug reports? I'd say it's highly unlikely, but we can of course hope it's a bookkeeping issue that it hasn't been mentioned, and someone could perform some testing.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 10:00:12 am »

Well like I said usually the woodcutter changes clothes.
Let me see if I can not reproduce this.

Edit*

I tried another dwarf, nope, he changed clothes before cutting trees.
I still have the save, but I can't recall exactly what I did.

Edit 2*
OK, the second dwarf didn't have an axe, my mistake.
Tried the 3rd one who had an axe and it worked.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 10:24:17 am by Libash_Thunderhead »

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 10:19:02 am »

I tried the trick on a miner, but it didn't work. I equiped him with a copper pick and a set of copper armor, but he still changed into his civilian cloth if I turned his mining job on.

JEB Davis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 10:26:04 am »

Many times I've wished miners, hunters, and woodcutters could be active in military and keep their uniforms on when working their trades. It would But when you think about it... is it reasonable to effectively mine out tunnels, stalk & hunt animals, or chop down trees while wearing steel plate armor?

Those activities could be possible, but should get serious speed & efficiency penalties.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 10:32:25 am »

Many times I've wished miners, hunters, and woodcutters could be active in military and keep their uniforms on when working their trades. It would But when you think about it... is it reasonable to effectively mine out tunnels, stalk & hunt animals, or chop down trees while wearing steel plate armor?

Those activities could be possible, but should get serious speed & efficiency penalties.
Yeah, but you know military uniform doesn't have to be plate armors. Currently it is buggy if you turn those job on while they have their military uniform, because they will run around forever changing between their uniform and civilian clothes.

JEB Davis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 11:10:58 am »

Of course, I agree and have seen the same sometimes, although early on in a fort it's worth doing sometimes.

In some forts I've got everyone in the military as either "regulars" or "militia", with the militia basically civilians getting some basic unarmed combat training for a while, then adding shields for a while, then adding weapons too. If some of them really get into the training they may get moved to the regulars. Since the militia don't have armor, they wear their civilian clothes. Switching on & off the mining, woodcutting, hunting jobs doesn't cause them much trouble because of not having armor.

I'm guessing implementing it properly might happen someday, but probably a low priority for Toady especially now with steam coming up.
We'll just have to be patient, but the game works fine as it is now if we just don't make the dorfs do double duty.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 11:21:41 am »

It's one of the many issues essentially all newbies stumble on, so it would be a candidate. The military UI is also an overhaul candidate, with greater or lesser changes in the actual functionality, so we'll have to wait and see what happens.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 02:38:17 pm »

Can you determine if the axe used to cut trees is the the woodcutter uniform's axe or the military uniform's axe?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

JEB Davis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2020, 07:17:23 pm »

Can you determine if the axe used to cut trees is the the woodcutter uniform's axe or the military uniform's axe?
Yes, you can determine it.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2020, 07:34:36 pm »

It is the military uniform's axe, I just followed him around and he didn't pick another one.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2020, 11:46:26 pm »

Further !!science!!

Those dwarves won't cut trees in their military uniform:

1) The dwarf is currently in soldier mode (obviously)
2) The dwarf doesn't has an axe equipped
3) The dwarf is not currently training (individual combat drill)

The 3rd makes it sound like a bug, instead of a feature.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 11:47:58 pm by Libash_Thunderhead »

Trabber Shir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2020, 03:51:20 pm »

Further !!science!!

Those dwarves won't cut trees in their military uniform:

1) The dwarf is currently in soldier mode (obviously)
2) The dwarf doesn't has an axe equipped
3) The dwarf is not currently training (individual combat drill)

The 3rd makes it sound like a bug, instead of a feature.

I hate the English language. Yes I am a native speaker. Yes your grammar is mostly good. No I don't understand what you are saying.

Are you saying Urist will cut trees in uniform if all of the following are false?:
  • Urist is active* at the time they get the new job.
  • Urist's military uniform does not include an axe.
  • Urist is not in a combat drill at the time they get the new job.
*Active means that his listed profession is a military profession, either because his squad has been given orders manually or via schedules.

If I am reading that correctly, it sounds like an accidental or perhaps partial bugfix to me. He may be checking if his current clothing matches the uniform and in that case keeping it. In the active or training cases, the axe is not valid for the wood cutting job because it is currently in use by the prior job. Do your military dwarves still strip naked and start re-equipping from nothing when you assign the squad a "new uniform" with all the same contents as the old? If so, we can dismiss this theory entirely.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2020, 08:06:45 pm »

Yes I am a native speaker. Yes your grammar is mostly good. No I don't understand what you are saying.
Sorry I'm not a native English speaker.
A dwarf only cut trees in their military uniform when they are currently doing "individual combat drill", and wearing military uniform including a battle axe. When you enable their wood cutting job(which you must disable beforehand otherwise they won't be in their military uniform in the first place), they will go out and cut trees(you must design before you enable their wood cutting job).
Pages: [1] 2