Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Homebrewing thread - turning evil carbs into alcohol  (Read 3493 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrewing thread - turning evil carbs into alcohol
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2020, 08:47:47 pm »

The bochet that blew its top was one of the highlights of this past Christmas so it seemed to have come out alright.

Look, it's called a Botchit. You were just following instructions.

Anyone have advice for things I can get to ferment?

Onions. I cook a lot and "onion wine" is apparently pretty good in cooking so I may have to do this myself.

I guess it was either that, or rye bread. I may also have to try that. Or find someone who can spare like 15 pounds of honey or whatever.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2020, 07:06:57 am »

Pretty much anything with sugar in it. I think I've mentioned that I had tried to ferment jam in some older post. Anyway jam can be fermented but at least in my case (peach) the end result was too sour, I think that if I had stopped the fermentation proccess before it had used up all the sugar in it, it would have been better.

About the yeast, since you are already feeling like experimenting why not trying to do it with wild yeast (from air or whatever)?
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2020, 09:45:26 am »

Pretty much anything with sugar in it. I think I've mentioned that I had tried to ferment jam in some older post. Anyway jam can be fermented but at least in my case (peach) the end result was too sour, I think that if I had stopped the fermentation process before it had used up all the sugar in it, it would have been better.

About the yeast, since you are already feeling like experimenting why not trying to do it with wild yeast (from air or whatever)?

Fermenting jam or preserves might be interesting. Just have to see if they preserved it with sugar or something that will kill the yeast. Maple syrup would be awesome if I could get it and also it wasn't super expensive.

Our air here contains way more black mold than yeast, so trying to collect wild yeast here is probably a bad idea.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2020, 05:08:09 am »

So I'm planning to catch wild yeast to use in bread. Anybody got a good resource on differences between yeast for bread and beer? Anybody got experience using the same for both? Just thinking about it for the future. Off the hooch for a while.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2020, 07:48:47 am »

From what I've heard using bread yeasts for brewing beer results in terrible, terrible beer. I've dedided not to try and neither should anyone else. The other way around is said to result in much more agreeable results.
I bake sourdough bread myself once a week, but I've gotten a starter-culture from a friend, which I propagate before each baking session. There are online sites with information on making your own starter.

Also, if you have some beer yeast lying around it could not hurt to try and bake a bread from it and post the results here. The consequences of failure would be limited: unlike beer it does not take you months to find out what the results are. There are some beer brands that have viable yeast deposits on the bottom of the bottle, that could be worth an experiment.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 12:50:37 pm by Bralbaard »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2020, 07:55:01 am »

I generally trust the City Steading channel on YouTube. If they say bread yeast is fine, it's probably fine.

Bad Mephisto. I know better now. Doin the Most or Man Made Mead are where it's at.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 02:19:21 pm by Mephisto »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2020, 08:10:43 am »

On using bread yeasts for beer: It sure is possible and would result in beer, but these yeasts have been optimized for different purposes. The type of yeasts you use have a significant influence on the taste of your beer, and you typically use different yeast to brew different kinds of beers for good reasons. Using yeasts that have been optimised for a completely different purpose than brewing is just risk I would not take (also because the stories I've read from people who ran out of yeast and tried).

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2020, 08:35:26 am »

From what I've heard using bread yeasts for brewing beer results in terrible, terrible beer.

There are some beer brands that have viable yeast deposits on the bottom of the bottle, that could be worth an experiment.

I haven't tried, but they are very different breeds of yeast; beer/wine yeast are mostly specifically bred to live in that environment and for flavor. At best, you'd get a mostly-okay tasting beer with real low ABV.

And it's been a long time since I've ended up with yeast on the bottom of a bottle. The beers that bottle condition use yeast that taste pretty good, and yeast contain a vitamin that helps prevent hangovers (or a deficiency of the vitamin causes hangover symptoms).
Pages: 1 2 [3]