Poll

Is it time for a new fortress?

OH YEAH!!!!
- 4 (80%)
No, Still got grudges to settle here!
- 1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Gateheaven: Building the largest world conquest generational fort series  (Read 12382 times)

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gateheaven: Building the largest world conquest generational fort series
« Reply #165 on: April 24, 2024, 11:31:17 am »

When we finish up our goals at this fort do we wanna play around in adventure mode on this world for a bit before the next fort?

I will not be playing an adventure, but feel free to do so by me. I don't think it would corrupt the save, and I think DFHack also supports the beta by now? There's the risk if the beta is unstable i suppose, crashes and stuff, that could be a pain
Succession fort runs!
Zulbanunal - Bannerblunts
Bardumiseth - Fightquests

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 24, 2024, 07:44:59 pm »

Hey if no one wants to do it that is fine with me!
I was just anticipating adventure mode hype is all

I play plenty through my Adelaathira game lol

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 24, 2024, 10:29:48 pm »

This.
Is.
HELL.

The surface above belongs to the invaders.  A wasteland of the corpses and detritus of those who came before as far as the eye can see. 
Miasma emanates profusely from the trap-hall and from the stairs below the fortress, bones of some poor creatures ignored down there.
The tombs are extensive, and yet I worry they may soon be inadequate.
The caves are wisely sealed off lest we have to contend with what's still roaming below, Ogo snacking on some troglodytes or something down there

Though we have a queen no one seems to visit the royal quarters.

Our dwarves seem happy enough, the mist definitely making a difference keeping them going, but didn't we come here dreaming of conquest? We can't cower behind our walls.

To continue our plans we must break the siege.
That trap tunnel is very nice, but I can't stop the idiots from running up back through it.  I guess next  turn I have I will be using DFhack like the rest of y'all.
For now I can't use the trap tunnel, so our only choice is to meet the invaders on the field of battle.  A less risky proposition than you might think, with our steel armor and weapons the goblins and humans hanging out on the surface can't really do much to us!

A couple of martial trances later the field is clear, unfortunately more elves keep showing up, this cycle continues.  We aren't suffering many losses but we are losing one or two here or there. The only way to stop this attrition is to attack the elves in the forests that surround our fortress.

Did I mention we're in hell? the invaders will just KEEP coming.  This is such a sick sad world we even saw a dwarven snatcher

Luckily they were spotted before getting in.

My predecessors have had a hard time, but I think our military should be strong enough to strike out and take the fight to the elves, if nothing else stopping the sieges showing up at our door constantly is a must at this point.

The raiders all assembled in one place do look like a formidable force

Many of the elves humans and goblins who took residence at the fort are becoming citizens by now, and they will prove their loyalty by joining us in the attack.

Things go well at first, we easily smash one of the nearby settlements, hailjewels.  My method is to send the actual force to pillage the place, and then a small force of the non-dwarf soldiers to demand actual ownership.  After a one sided beating the first time around they don't resist the occupation.  Asmel Mansionraces is now in command of the place.

We moved on to the next forest retreat..
The forest retreat of weaknesshail, just north of us, population 100, easy pickings right?
We were not ready.
War tigers.
War Elephants.
They aren't in the forest, they are the forest.
Our queen had come, to lead the charge but.. she never returned.  Only about half of the force I sent out came back. First I lost the queen's elephants, then I lost the queen  :(
Salmeuk fell Again I swear the name is cursed. (sorry!)
A HUMAN by the name of Astralathalius  took the throne, its unclear what his claim even is, this is a dreadful state of affairs... I leave it in the hands of my succesors if we want to arrange an accident to restore dwarven rule..
on the bright side my turn took so long we have portraits now, Behold our king:

In the face of such heavy losses I resorted to accepting any and all petitioners for residence again, of which there are always plenty! our population was thus brought back to over 190 pretty soon, but a few less dwarves I'm afraid.  The way I see it if we don't want them we can send them to another site easily enough, and its a very fast way to grow our population when we suffer losses, and hopefully in future we send non-dwarves out to fight first
Also look at the quality of these visitors I have to work with:

And whats worse, the elves were PISSED:

A new group of friends to play in the bonefields..

Those are all  elephants and tigers.
I wasn't game to send our diminished military out against that, so I shut the doors.
Some of them still managed to wander down into the trap hall, and we fired at them until we were out of ballista arrows.

Did I mention this is hell? Maybe for us, maybe for the enemy, who knows, but I doubt they're having a good time dodging iron bolts among the half rotten skeletons of their allies.
An iron ballista bolt can quite commonly take the head clean off an elf, elephants do prove a bit sturdier, in the end we haven't killed even half the force.
Elves sneaking around don't count as putting us under siege so a migrant wave and NUMEROUS other visitors are getting killed out there.
Oh, I should mention we did have a migrant wave that succesfully arrived earlier, despite all the bloodshed here, I suspect that because we are the ONLY site of our civ, migrants will just keep coming from somewhere no matter what

MEANWHILE IN THE CAVES!

A NEW CHALLENGER HAS ARRIVED

FORGOTTEN BEAST TITLE FIGHT GOOOO

BORA CLOSES IN BUT OGO LANDS THE FIRST BLOW, THEY'RE BOTH BLEEDING

BOTH WRITHING ON THE GROUND HOW MUCH MORE PUNISHMENT CAN THEY TAKE???

WHO CAN EVEN TELL WHO'S HITTING WHO?

AND WE HAVE A WINNER LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, BORA IS THE NEW KING OF THE CAVES!

...Anyway back on the surface
Humans arrived too. great.

Actually wait this is great, they are hostile to the elves! The elves seem spread out and from what I can tell they're hiding in the river though,  the humans by and large haven't quite engaged them.
I also really wouldn't recommend trying to fight the elves and thier animals anywhere near the river, they are all perfect swimmers, and our forces are NOT so that leaves it at a bit of a stalemate, the doors are still shut.
Luckily the humans actually count as putting us under siege, so the bloodshed from new arrivals can stop (I think some visitors are still lurking out there).

And thats where I'm leaving the fort.  Still doing ok internally, but lost some of our best fighters and under siege.  Since we don't really have anything important to do until we can open the gates again, I put the military on constant training, at least while the mood holds, feel free to change that back.
I saw someone got rid of my work detail for visitors, please keep it, maybe dfhack makes it unecessary, but as I said in my first turn it seems like a loophole where non-citizen residents will still do all the work if they get given a detail, when otherwise they would only do some things, some times.
I had put some plans down for new bedrooms, which we do need, but with all the busy military work not much mining has happened, we also need substantially more armor and such which I have put orders for somewhat.
sorry for the slow turn the lag really slowed me down a LOT I was going at about 1 minute per DF day for most of that.  I kinda want to avoid using dfhack and do things the good old fashioned way but this burrow thing might just convert me for next turn.
Here's a list of named casualties I didn't mention above, from a mix of fighting the armies on the field, raids, tantrums and getting caught when sieges arrive:
Spoiler: Deaths (click to show/hide)

Good luck!

(also who's turn is it? salmeuk? I'm just putting the save here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=17076)

« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 10:31:37 pm by neblime »
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Losing half our military? Endless sieges? Armies of elephants and tigers? Forgotten beast battle royales? Replacing the dwarven monarchy and population with humans? This place truly is dwarven hell!

Good luck Salmeuk!
If you want you can finish up the fort overall for us. Only thing I wanted to do was grab those last goblin pits so that civ will be officially extinct and not bother us later, but that also might not be doable at all at this juncture...

Question for next fort:
Do we wanna stay in this part of the world to try and finish our war with these civilizations? Or run to a new doomed part of this planet?

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile

I am a better player of adventure mode than fort mode, certainly after my first attempt at overseership ended up being an abandoned time line. I am happy to take some dwarf-based adventure mode justice to the tree huggers.

Are there still groups of feral dogs breeding in the river? This place truly is a hellscape.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

awesome... love that update post.  I died RIp . this place was an enjoyable but a very, VERY bloody mess.

unfortunately I am about to leave on a three week trip to a far away land and am generally unavailable for  the time.. I will have to pass my turn

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dwarven snatchers and human kings?

Damn, that IS dark... And yeah, good post! Pretty interesting though, that 'Astralathius' Crimsonreward guy lives up to humans having "great ambition"...

I just noticed one thing: he's a member of the enemy civilization, the Union of Frenzy.
He seems like a chill guy so I'm conflicted.

Should we start the new fort? I'm not good at military stuff like sending raids so probably not much for me to achieve here. And spawning new civ members would be good in continuing the civ's actual bloodline. If so, then could you do the embarking Maloy?

Question for next fort:
Do we wanna stay in this part of the world to try and finish our war with these civilizations? Or run to a new doomed part of this planet?

I say continue the war, but retreat and regrouping could work too. Maybe make mini forts to pump out newly spawned dwarves? I dont know

I have some ideas for the next fort. Possible trap corridor should be in a channeled moat, open to the sky. (OR, an elevated bridge??) So should the adjoining corpse stockpile and the accompanying atom smasher, built as soon as the stockpile itself, with a minecart link. I don't want all that miasma and corpses. Hmm, apparently cave adaptation is a thing again?
Succession fort runs!
Zulbanunal - Bannerblunts
Bardumiseth - Fightquests

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sure!

What we could do first actually is retire it and let Kesperan take a turn through adventure mode?

then I embark the new fort after that.
Would be nice to have some vengeance dealt out, because it doesn't feel like we're retiring on a win, per say.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]