Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409384 times)

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1050 on: September 12, 2021, 06:41:31 pm »

Hello, uuuuuhhhh
I want to sign up again, since I'll be back home in less than a week.
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: September 13, 2021, 04:27:01 am »

Hello, uuuuuhhhh
I want to sign up again, since I'll be back home in less than a week.

I've added you to the list.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: September 13, 2021, 02:21:08 pm »

“Notes on Raki” by Bralbaard Hammerfishes, written in 801.

The most terrible stories are still told about the first rampage of Raki, the mad lion tamarin man. Stories about the weremammoth curse, or the fell ones he created that today plague many parts of the continent.
Stories of grief, for the hundreds, maybe thousands of deaths he caused, either directly or indirectly. Yes, it is generally agreed that when Raki disappeared the world sighed in relief.

But over the last decades there have been rumors that this was not the end of it. Rumors about a secret cult that was conspiring to bring him back from death. Rumors that said this cult had succeeded and that Raki was out there plotting and brooding in the shadows, waiting to strike. Rumors that have been ridiculed by the nobility and many public figures, who have said that these stories are nothing more than attempts by priests to rally the gullible masses behind their religion, or by others who want to abuse the fear of the people.

I would however urge the reader to be cautious in dismissing these rumors. There is strong evidence that they are based on truth. There is highly credible evidence that Irthu Bladebroken raised the mad monkey king from death over 32 years ago. This is both supported by forensic evidence from Monkeycurse, and by confessions from  Irthu Bladebroken himself. On top of that there have been many reliable sightings of the monkey king over the last three decades.

The only reasonable argument I have heard that is used to dismiss this evidence is the following:
“If the Monkey King has returned from death, why is the world not burning?"
The answer to this, I can not give you. I fear that only Raki himself might know the answer. In fact to illustrate this point, I will end this note with a short, but popular story that is often shared by poets and entertainers:

What lies deep below our feet?
The answer depends on who you ask.
Ask an elf, and he will tell you:
“the fertile soil, from which trees grow, and flowers bloom“
Ask a dwarf and he will laugh at the elf and say:
“below that soil lie caverns vast and deep, filled with gems and metals of great value”
a learned scientist may scoff at the dwarf and say:
“there is theoretic evidence that there exists a great magma sea far below the caverns, warm molten rock that none can pass”
Ask a priest and he will say that science does not have the answer:
“Our faith tells us that uncountable demons live in hell below, between chasms of unimaginable depth“
But what then if you ask all of them what lies at the bottom of these chasms?
The elf, dwarf, scientist and priest would all agree that only Raki knows.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(OOC: So that was short.. I was going for a stroll through hell but failed to notice the steam demon on the level above me. It did not end well)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 02:36:32 pm by Bralbaard »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: September 13, 2021, 02:51:59 pm »

(OOC: So that was short.. I was going for a stroll through hell but failed to notice the steam demon on the level above me. It did not end well)
That was fast. But pride cometh before a fall.

He was punished by the gods for giving the curse of weremammoth to man. He was cast into the bowels in the earth and kicked by demons.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: September 13, 2021, 03:19:11 pm »

He was punished by the gods for giving the curse of weremammoth to man. He was cast into the bowels in the earth and kicked by demons.
Nah, Bralbaard is not Raki, he's just writing about him. From my understanding, Bralbaard is the one who got "This. Is. Sparta"d into the depths of hell. He's just illustrating where his corpse may have ended up after the fall.

Sorry about the short survival rate, but you were strolling through hell. !!Fun!! was to be expected. Terminal !!fun!! at that.

What were you doing there though? Looking for something or just for eternal rest?

Edit: I stand corrected, looks like you were right, AvolitionBrit. Nice roleplaying reaction there regardless.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 03:45:25 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: September 13, 2021, 03:28:56 pm »

Nah, Bralbaard is not Raki, he's just writing about him. From my understanding, Bralbaard is the one who got "This. Is. Sparta"d into the depths of hell. He's just illustrating where his corpse may have ended up after the fall.

Sorry about the short survival rate, but you were strolling through hell. !!Fun!! was to be expected. Terminal !!fun!! at that.

What were you doing there though? Looking for something or just for eternal rest?

Just to clear any understandable confusion I was playing with Raki  :)
Bralbaard hammerfishes is my other adventurer that is still alive, and a historian.
I thought that with Raki being gone and therefore unable to tell the story it would make most sense to tell the story from a historians perspective, even if I did not use him for this playthrough.

What was Raki doing there? Good question. Curiosity got the better of him.
When I loaded Raki he had no items or clothes or anything, because obviously he never picked them up when he was raised from death by Irthu. So the monkey went searching for new gear. He found it in Ironwards, but then he also found a lever with a lot of demon corpses, and though it was obvious that he was not supposed to pull that lever he still did, and it all went downhill from there.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 03:33:12 pm by Bralbaard »

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: September 13, 2021, 06:32:37 pm »

Oof, now that really was a surprise! I quite liked the little story about Raki's demise, even if it is slightly unfortunate that he's deader than dead. Accidents and bad luck will always take their toll, I guess.

Uh... which lever did you pull, actually? The one near the corridor with all the bridges and steel spikes, or the one near to the helltower?  I seem to remember there being a fair few unbutcherable/rotted clown corpses near both, so...
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: September 13, 2021, 08:43:30 pm »

That was short, but a neat note in historical terms. Almost feel bad for Raki.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: September 14, 2021, 01:02:01 pm »

Uh... which lever did you pull, actually?

The one that opened the gate to hell. Do you mean there were even worse levers I could have pulled?

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: September 14, 2021, 01:55:59 pm »

Uh... which lever did you pull, actually?

The one that opened the gate to hell. Do you mean there were even worse levers I could have pulled?
Kind of?

One would've probably set half the z-level on fire and maybe killed the framerate, depending on how much crap was on the big bridge over the magma moat; one would've, from memory, flooded the second entry-way to the fort with lava (which would've set the area near the fort on fire and rendered one of the tunnels out impassable, since the bridge network there would usually be closed for containment), and a third might turn the road to hell into a constant forest of masterwork/high-quality steel spikes, depending on whether or not I ever rigged that up to a repeater of some kind.

Still, that open hellgate might have some fun effects in the long run if I don't close it up on my next turn, if the hammerdwarves start wandering down there and running into demons.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 09:45:30 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: September 15, 2021, 06:46:18 pm »

My turn is rapidly approaching, so I'm going to get ahead of things and say I won't be able to do it. Don't sign me up for another one just yet, but I'll definitely come back and sign up for another when I have more time.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: September 17, 2021, 03:20:12 pm »

Great news, everybody! (Well, decent news, but still). While we wait for the next adventure, I've discovered something interesting (that probably some people might have noticed too). Void dwarves are appearing in player-retired fortresses. Now, this is decent news and not great because every time another player builds a fort, citizens migrate to that one, leaving the old ones empty husks (until/unless players unretire them and the cycle continues).

I found this example from the year 801, when I am certain I was playing my own fort, yet the world keeps turning. I love World Activation.

Looks like camps count too. Well, Bralbaard's going to be surprised with all these volunteer grave diggers *cough* *cough*

« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 03:29:22 pm by Lurker Z »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: September 19, 2021, 01:04:11 pm »

I think it's quite common for the game to generate dwarves like that, at least it is in other worlds I'm playing.

The current save game can be found here, it is Unraveller's turn.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: September 19, 2021, 01:06:00 pm »

I think it's quite common for the game to generate dwarves like that, at least it is in other worlds I'm playing.

The current save game can be found here, it is Unraveller's turn.
You seem to be missing the link, Braalbard: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15668

Good luck on your turn, Unraveller!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 01:41:38 pm by Quantum Drop »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: September 19, 2021, 02:23:32 pm »

Thanks for posting the save, QD.

So, Bralbaard, I see you reclaimed

Are you attached to that place? Do you have plans for it? Do you mind if I... mess with it after adventure mode?

No new war or battle since the start of the century. I wonder what determines the AI during the running of the game to start wars (there were more than a few started right after Turn 1).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 02:45:42 pm by Lurker Z »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 263