Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 410004 times)

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1095 on: October 02, 2021, 06:43:31 am »

Oh man QD, that was an excellent read. The cadence your writing has takes very well to this perfectly. . . Sinister(?) Vibe that really sells the story you've been going with. And of course I really dig how you ended up tying lore back into what we wrote afterwards, reading this into Galka's adventure is a pretty perfect shift.

I cannot wait to see how the Blight continues to shape the future of Orid Xem here on. Or whether it'll be purged quickly. I'm hoping not. Haha.
Good to hear. I was aiming for it come off with that kind of tone, but wasn't certain how well I pulled it off; I feel I could've done a few bits better, but I guess it came out okay overall.

It's certainly going to be interesting to see the Blight's effects on the world over time; I wonder if the Blighted Thralls are going to start actively moving around at some point, or if they're just going to keep to their hamlets and act as landmines for anyone unlucky enough to run across them.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: October 02, 2021, 11:32:36 am »

Frankly, with all due respect to QD, I hate the plague. The vampires and the werecreatures were one thing - rather mundane - but the blighted buggers might just end the world. Definitely, if an unwary fort is attacked/"visited" by one of these things, it'll be a massacre.

I've seen at least one of these things infect another sapient in legends viewer, but I'm not sure if they did it between turns or while the part of the map was actively engaged by an adventurer.

I love QD's posts, but Ketas and Kosoth can get falcon punched/sparta kicked into Armok's infinite hells for all I care. I've never liked unwavering paragons, but I liked Lonelythrall a lot more than these mad things.

I remember someone said that despite the world being often framed in-story as post apocalyptic, things weren't actually all that bad.

Well, uh... if they weren't so bad back then, they're definitely that bad now.
I was the one that said the world isn't exactly post-apocalyptic, but I've publicly renounced that idea way before the blight. Even Omon Obin, which wasn't hit by anything worse than megabeasts in 7 centuries, is pretty much deserted. It's somewhat disturbing walking along these deserted or small towns while nightmares lurk in the dark.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 11:37:41 am by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: October 02, 2021, 03:29:11 pm »

Yeah, the undeath plague needs to be culled
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: October 02, 2021, 03:48:20 pm »

To be entirely honest, I really did go a little overboard on the BT infections. Come my next turn I'll probably send a few raids out in fort mode and do some population control as an adventurer, so we aren't having nascent forts and adventurers being killed in the metaphorical cradle.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: October 02, 2021, 04:04:59 pm »

I think it makes for interesting story potential but the world is in flux right now. Will be interesting to see if the hordes on plague can truly be contained
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: October 02, 2021, 04:14:59 pm »

I don't mind it either. Some of that good old !!FUN!! We covet so.
I've lost control of my life.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: October 02, 2021, 04:19:29 pm »

I am a bit rusty in adventure mode. I have been trying a few adventurers in the last save game that was posted. This world is pretty apocalyptic now!

Made a human outsider in Scarletbronze.

First turn: strangled by a “frail merchant weremammoth” - not frail at all.
Second attempt: made it to the keep, killed by Blighted Thralls.
Third attempt: neck broken by a “human criminal fell one.”

So… any thoughts if I made an Elephant Man adventurer?
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: October 02, 2021, 04:27:59 pm »

Barring 'We don't go to Omon Obin' anymore? I don't mind burly animal men. To me the Museum is about telling a neat story, not necessarily how 'skilled' you are at adventure mode.
I've lost control of my life.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: October 02, 2021, 04:39:55 pm »

Omon Obin is going into (quarantine) lockdown...

I don't know if to laugh hysterically at that thought or be saddened by it.

As has been said, the world is now surely in flux, so we shall see the outcome. It'd be ironic if all the bugs and clowns didn't get it and a plain syndrome did. Though I feel I too exaggerated in my previous assessment, I doubt the whole world, let alone a single civilization is going to go down to a single plague.

But, who knows. We certainly are treading new ground here.

To be entirely honest, I really did go a little overboard on the BT infections. Come my next turn I'll probably send a few raids out in fort mode and do some population control as an adventurer, so we aren't having nascent forts and adventurers being killed in the metaphorical cradle.
[lighthearted joke]
Turn after QD: WHY IS ADILATIR AT WAR WITH THE REST OF THE WORLD?!?! AND WHY ARE HALF OF ORID XEM SETTLEMENTS ON FIRE???
[/joke]
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 04:47:04 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: October 02, 2021, 05:35:52 pm »

I am a bit rusty in adventure mode. I have been trying a few adventurers in the last save game that was posted. This world is pretty apocalyptic now!

Made a human outsider in Scarletbronze.

First turn: strangled by a “frail merchant weremammoth” - not frail at all.
Second attempt: made it to the keep, killed by Blighted Thralls.
Third attempt: neck broken by a “human criminal fell one.”

So… any thoughts if I made an Elephant Man adventurer?
I think an Elephant Man would be a pretty cool adventurer, considering the relative lack of more exotic (i.e.: intelligent wilderness creature) adventurers so far. Might have some problems getting armour if you don't want to use advfort, though, which could prove a pain in the arse if you run into a thrall/werebeast while not wanting to get turned.

Also oh god why'd you go to Scarletbronze. Sometimes-undead weremammoths that can paralyse you then stamp you into mush are not fun to deal with.

[lighthearted joke]
Turn after QD: WHY IS ADILATIR AT WAR WITH THE REST OF THE WORLD?!?! AND WHY ARE HALF OF ORID XEM SETTLEMENTS ON FIRE???
[/joke]
Don't tempt me. :P

Somewhat more seriously, IIRC there's a good few thralls in the north-east (High Confederacies) lands and since going BT doesn't erase your membership of a civ, taking them out by fort mode alone would indeed put Adilatir at war with Omon Obin and THC (also possibly The Creamy Confederacy - can't remember if they're already at war with us or no). That'd leave us at war with just over half of Orid Xem's total civilizations (discounting ourselves, our friends in The Staff of Kissing, The Armoured Confederacy for being dead in all but name, and The Squeezing Fords because elves are pansies).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 01:58:52 pm by Quantum Drop »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: October 02, 2021, 08:43:28 pm »

Personally, the deeper this world descends into apocalypse, the larger and more manic my grin. At the end of the day, life or death, success or failure, the Museum is a story made of stories, and every story needs a little drama. If this happens to be a story with a big drama as it were, I have no problem with that.

But your mileage may vary, I'm the guy who built an evil labyrinth and killed every living soul within just to see what what kinds of stories would come out of it, twice, so when it comes to my opinions on the level of apocalypse in Orid Xem, I am not to be trusted.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: October 02, 2021, 10:29:24 pm »

Okay, uuuuhhhh
just asking this so I don't have to when I get the save:
How do I load outside saves? Dwarf Fortress isn't loading anything I put in the save folder, only saves I actually generated myself.

edit: reinstalling fixed it, false alarm
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 10:50:09 pm by ChaosPotato »
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: October 05, 2021, 11:22:05 pm »

Im uploading the save now, because tomorrow is going to be a busy day for me. There was a moderate amount of both adventuring and fortressing done, trying to write up my adventures now, but it may take a while.

Here we go:

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15695
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 12:09:02 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: October 06, 2021, 09:49:07 am »

Okay, I've got the save, but I noticed a small problem. Dwarves have vanished from the playable races menu in adventure mode.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Since that throws a wrench in what I had planned story-wise for my turn, I'm going to have to ask for a day or two before my week of time starts counting down, so I can hastily re-plan and maybe try to figure out why this has happened (because, y'know, pretty sure this isn't meant to happen).

EDIT: Having looked back, this seems to have been going on for at least one turn. They're absent from adv mode's playable races list in turn 54's save, but are present in turn 53 or earlier. Going to legends-dive with the current save and try out a few things to see if they have any effect.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 12:29:27 pm by Quantum Drop »

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: October 06, 2021, 11:20:19 am »

Okay, I've got the save, but I noticed a small problem. Dwarves have vanished from the playable races menu in adventure mode.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Since that throws a wrench in what I had planned story-wise for my turn, I'm going to have to ask for a day or two before my week of time starts counting down, so I can hastily re-plan and maybe try to figure out why this has happened.

EDIT: Having looked back, this seems to have been going on for at least one turn. They're absent from adv mode's playable races list in turn 54's save, but are present in turn 53 or earlier. Going to legends-dive with the current save and try out a few things to see if they have any effect.
If all else fails, you can download adventurer-freedom (DFHack script) to force the game to let you play as anything (which... probably includes dwarves).
Just ask if it counts as legal DFHack usage first, since that's... y'know, a rule that exists.
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 263